Advice and Tips

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Advice and Tips

Post by RUM4MO »

Well the 400 miles for a litre of oil only showed up when on longer runs, ie near/over 400 mile drives at higher speeds, which was a bit annoying as it forced me to buy VW's oil in litre containers - 3-off to play safe instead of just buying a 5 litre container - checked the oil level after arriving in Canterbury from near Edinburgh and got a shock, now I'm always prepared and carry oil in both of our cars, but never needed to use it after I sold that VW Passat 4Motion 2.8V6 30V.
Although, carrying a spare litre of engine oil did end up with me opening the Passat's boot at my refuelling point on the M6 Toll road - and being "presented" with a smell of oil - warm new engine oil, the weather had been so hot that the lid had slipped over the threads and oil had escaped, a quick mop up job and tightening the can of the litre bottle sorted that out and some after I bought a couple of these packs for top-up oil and placed the litre bottles inside two plastic bags, so that has never happened again.

My wife's previous Polo 1.4 16V 75PS also acquired an appetite for engine oil in mid life, but that was due to a failing oil separator, that was annoying as it caused lots of pinking until I covered that up by fuelling it with 99/98/97 petrol, it took a while to work out it was the oil separator though, once I had replaced that the oil drinking reduced dramatically but my wife would not permit me to move back to normal petrol as the UL+ vastly improved the low drivability and every extra Nm counted with that engine!