How to look after your car during lockdown

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

How to look after your car during lockdown

Post by Noonoo632 »

Good afternoon all

I changed my car just over three weeks ago from a Seat Leon 1.4 tsi to a new Vw polo sel with winter pack and style pack in deep pearl black. ( my 4th. VW and third polo ).Car has done just over 100 miles by me and I have not been out in it for over two and a half weeks and my question is how would you look after it during this lockdown perhaps for a few more weeks??
aaddaamm94
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Re: How to look after your car during lockdown

Post by aaddaamm94 »

I've filled my tank up to 100% to prevent the fuel from evaporating and causing rust. You can get fuel additives as well that stop the fuel going bad because I think petrol only last a few months.
I make sure to take it out once a week for the food shop so that the tyres arn't sitting in the same position for weeks.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

aaddaamm94 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm I've filled my tank up to 100% to prevent the fuel from evaporating and causing rust. You can get fuel additives as well that stop the fuel going bad because I think petrol only last a few months.
I make sure to take it out once a week for the food shop so that the tyres arn't sitting in the same position for weeks.
Are'nt these new vehicles sold with a plastic petrol tank these days?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:37 pm
aaddaamm94 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm I've filled my tank up to 100% to prevent the fuel from evaporating and causing rust. You can get fuel additives as well that stop the fuel going bad because I think petrol only last a few months.
Nope, mild steel tank, carburetor and distributor cap - don't forget to do your points and decoke the engine.

Plastic tank, plastic sump and anything else you can get away with for "weight saving" (not cost reductions :lol: )
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Also wont adding the amount of fuel just add the amount that can evaporate?
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

(cough) take it for a spin every few days or so to put some charge into the battery, reccomend stop / start disabled, ideally at least 10 miles round trip - obviously buying essential foodstuffs from local shops (get a receipt in case stopped by plod). I can't be bothered to check but isn't there advice in the handbook for storing car for a period of time ?...
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:45 am (cough) take it for a spin every few days or so to put some charge into the battery, reccomend stop / start disabled, ideally at least 10 miles round trip - obviously buying essential foodstuffs from local shops (get a receipt in case stopped by plod). I can't be bothered to check but isn't there advice in the handbook for storing car for a period of time ?...
My 4 year old previous generation Polo GTI is currently getting one 14 mile round trip to the supermarket once every two weeks (a visit on foot to the local village store for milk, eggs, bread etc. if needed between supermarket visits).

It’s starting fine at the moment (on the original battery) after being left for two weeks between uses - the engine turns over just as well as it did when the car was new and was being used much more regularly. In the short term, leaving it two weeks between uses is probably no worse than leaving a car at an airport car park for two or more weeks when on holiday in better times!

I wonder how receptive insurance companies would be to requests to refund part of the premiums we pay to insure our cars, on the basis that for many people their cars are being used very little or not at all just now, so the accident / damage risk is significantly reduced.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You'll get nowt back from the insurance companies. What you could do is reduce your declared miles for next premium, to even things out.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:15 am You'll get nowt back from the insurance companies. What you could do is reduce your declared miles for next premium, to even things out.
Yes, that’s an option. Most - if not all - car insurers will almost certainly be getting fewer claims, so their profits will increase as a result - one of the few winners from Clovid-19.
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

SRGTD wrote:
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:15 am You'll get nowt back from the insurance companies. What you could do is reduce your declared miles for next premium, to even things out.
Yes, that’s an option. Most - if not all - car insurers will almost certainly be getting fewer claims, so their profits will increase as a result - one of the few winners from Clovid-19.
My insurance via Hastings advised you can change your mileage. It reads as if you can do this now before your next policy. I am not sure by how much the policy would drop (if any)

"If you think your mileage is going to be reduced significantly for the foreseeable future, you can lower your predicted annual mileage"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I think mine does that too - quotemehappy, you can make online changes to your policy without admin fees. Might have to look at it later.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

My biggest concern is the GPF on mine, all it's being used for is a run to the supermarket once a week (if that) and while the coolant and oil are getting up to temp it's not enough to clear the GPF. We are mostly using our newly acquired 2012 Swift Sport for our shopping runs(bought as a temp 2nd car when the lease on our i3 ended a few weeks ago) but today I am going to go to a supermarket further away and go the long way home, get it nice and hot and put the DSG in manual mode so it gets lots of over run off the throttle to hopefully clear it out a bit.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:37 pm
I checked my 2019 VW Polo 1.6 MPi yesterday, the fuel tank is plastic.

I also check my 2018 VW Caddy 1.6 Crewbus, the fuel tank is also plastics.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Griff74 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:45 am My biggest concern is the GPF on mine, all it's being used for is a run to the supermarket once a week (if that) and while the coolant and oil are getting up to temp it's not enough to clear the GPF. We are mostly using our newly acquired 2012 Swift Sport for our shopping runs(bought as a temp 2nd car when the lease on our i3 ended a few weeks ago) but today I am going to go to a supermarket further away and go the long way home, get it nice and hot and put the DSG in manual mode so it gets lots of over run off the throttle to hopefully clear it out a bit.
I think GPF regenerate in a different manner compare to DPF.

GPF regenerate under "No Load" + "Deceleration" conditions.

Have a look at the following link, FYI:

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/emissions/ ... filter-faq
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Yes, exactly what I said I was going to do, in fact have now done - GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system.
:roll: