Car Audio Upgrade Polo AW

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloSG
New
Drives: 2019

Car Audio Upgrade Polo AW

Post by PoloSG »

Car Audio Upgrade Polo AW:

Equipment Installed:

1) Component Speakers (front)
2) KnuzConcept 4 Gauge Wire Kit
3) Pioneer GM 8704 4 Channel Amplifier
4) Skar Audio 150w RMS underseat Subwoofer
5) JL Audio Fix 82
6) Car Sound Dampening

Other Requirements:
1) Soldering Iron or Solder Connectors (recommended)
2) Car Dash Opening Panels
3) Patience and Time (lol)

So I have the bug to upgrade the audio on Polo AW R-Line. Even though the stock audio is pretty damn good, I felt the speakers were a little muddy, bass heavy (but not tight punchy bass), and lacked the kick you need in the backside when the bass kicks. Please note I had no experience on installing car audio before, but with youtube and little help, was able to get the job done. Only challenge was that most videos on Polo Install were for Polo older gen, not Polo AW, so some of it was trial and error. Hoping this guide helps someone else who wants to do this. Happy to make a video in case you guys are interested.

I ordered the following from Ali-Express:
  • Speaker Disassembly Tool 4pc Car Stereo Radio Removal Tool 4pc key adapts to Audi Volkswagen auto parts tool for car repair
    Car Styling Car Radio Disassembly Tool 4PCS/Set
    New Tesa Type Coroplast Adhesive Cloth Tape
    QUADLOCK male to QUADLOCK female extension 52 pin Extension for OPEL VW VI Jetta 5 6 MK5 MK6 Passat B6 5.8 6.5 8 inch MIB
Once the items were there, the install was 2 prong approach. Do all the cabling/wire harness creation and soldering at home. Then going to car to install.

The Wire Harness Picture Below:
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-04 at 10.47.59 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-04 at 10.48.01 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-04 at 10.48.02 PM.jpeg
Please note I have a JL Audio Fix 82 as LOC. This maybe overkill as its a DSP + LOC. Now Polo has a full signal on both front and rear speakers, so you dont need Fix 82 as such, but it does normalize the signal and give your system an extra kick. For $200 with optional remote, I feel in hindsight an overkill but like I said, does make your system sound better.

Once the harness was created I moved to the car. There I had a few doubts that I want to clarify below:

1) The Firewall is at same place as older generation Polo i.e. underneath the wiper on the passenger side (or driver side in Germany). You dont need any special tools to get to it, but you do have to place your hand and a lot of force to do it. For first install, you always fear breaking something. But its very easy, there is a rubber grommet there that you need to take out, then you can fish the wire in without any fish wire. From inside the car, you need to remove the carpet slightly and pull the wire.

2) The A-Pillar removal for speaker install is perhaps the second hardest thing to do. It feels like they are going to break. The damn things are tight.

3) The backseat has child seat restraints that need to be taken out. They are very very hard and tricky to take out. There is a video on youtube that helped, but still took a while to figure out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKuFHXHWeBA&t=207s

4) The rest of the process is pretty similar to Golf. The ARS 24 Youtube Channel in German helped a lot.

Once the panels were out (all held by clips), the rest of the install was plug and play. When I heard I want my MTV from Dire Straits, it was well worth it :)
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-04 at 10.48.00 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-04 at 10.48.01 PM-2.jpeg
Janahan
New
Drives: Polo R-Line 2020

Re: Car Audio Upgrade Polo AW

Post by Janahan »

Great work.
RS250PS
New
Drives: 1.0 115ps mk6

Post by RS250PS »

Hello there!
I can see that you have spent lots of hours in your car and I am sure that you have succeeded an amazing work! I also want to add only an active subwoofer in my Polo, but I don't want to remove the dashboard (I am a bit scared of these glossy plastics :D ). So, do you know if there are any additional connectors of the speakers, except the one behind the infotainment? I think that there should be one more, somewhere behind the a/c controls, or under the case in front of the gear knob and under the charging coil. This way, the wires from all the speakers should go there and from there they should go up to the basic connector (the one that you used to connect your external amp). Any advice is welcome!
Thank you in advance,
Paschalis
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Don't you get any rattle/buzz from the interior plastics?
My 'beats' stereo easily overpowered the car's build quality, the doors especially would buzz quite easily.
I get buzz from the doors in my standard Gti stereo too,.