Dealer Option to Upgrade to higher quality Oil For annual service

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Re: Dealer Option to Upgrade to higher quality Oil For annual service

Post by Rocky5 »

Hi monkeyhanger ,

Do you know what type of oil they used in the service?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 pm
SRGTD wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:20 pm
S_94 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 pm I'll definitely be buying a 'do not wash' sign for when mine goes in for a service after what you've said monkeyhanger. Changing things inside the car would really annoy me as well, especially messing with the radio.
@S_94; I have this one;

https://www.carboncollective.com/produc ... -pvc-hook/

The sign, along with a tag tied to the keys and a similar instruction written on the job sheet by the service advisor seems to do the trick. I also try and make sure the car’s clean when it goes in for servicing so a) it removes the temptation for the dealer to clean it and b) it’s easier for the dealer to agree it’s damage-free when they do the damage inspection walk around when I drop it off and for me to spot any damage that the dealer may have caused when I collect it.
Thanks SRGTD will definitely be ordering one later. Like the idea of a tag on the keys as well, will have to remember to do that before I go in.
As well as scratch and swirl damage to paintwork from the complementary service wash, I’ve read on some forums of owners taking photos of their cars - in particular the wheels - when they take it in for work at the dealers, as it’s been damaged on a previous visit and the dealer has denied causing the damage. So by taking photos - and getting the service advisor to agree the condition of the car on arrival - it makes it more difficult for the dealer to deny any damage was caused by them while the car was in their possession.

Parking facilities at the dealer I use aren’t great, so I always try and get an early appointment so I can pick a ‘safe’ space to park when I arrive.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

They didn't look at my car coming in, but I took a video in their car park all around the car so I could prove condition. I gave it a good look over before leaving. They didn't check the courtesy car coming or going, so again, I took video to cover myself.

I'll have to check the documentation to see if there is reference to oil type/brand. If there's not, I'll not be worried - they have to use oil that meets spec.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

My servicing paperwork just states VW 504.00, VW 508.00 filling quantity 5.7 litres, top up to max mark.

VW 504.00 is 5W30

VW 508.00 is 0W20

I'd say then that the car most likely got 0W20 to VW 508.00 spec in order to maintain better fuel economy:-

VW 508.00/509.00
This specification combo (508.00 for petrol, 509.00 for diesel) requires a 0W20 viscosity, fuel economy oil with long life additives. These specifications are NOT backward compatible with the eariler VW specifications. Recommended for the new 2.0 TFSI 140 kW and 3.0 TDI CR 160 kW VW/Audi engines.

Looking at Opie oils website, there are 5 different VW 508.00 options, all are longlife fully synthetic from Castrol, Total, Motel, Comma and Millers. I'd say Total and Millers are least likely to be brought in as large containers for the dealerships to use.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »