First oil change

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

First oil change

Post by Cro_vw »

Sooo VW say 30.000km or 2 years.. but when did you change your oil? and should I follow service plan? I belive they have made oil that can last 30.000 km but can filter last that long?
Last edited by Cro_vw on Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Re: First oil change

Post by Ima »

I tend to have my cars on annual oil change regimen rather than 2 yearly. The 2 year cycle was developed for fleets to reduce their charges rather than for longevity of the cars. I’m sure oil is good but as oil is so crucial to engine longevity over the long term and not fleet needs I still think cars need at least a yearly oil change.
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Post by Cro_vw »

yeah, I think I will service my polo at 15.000 also I have checked my oil level and I hope this is normal level (9200km)
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Well it depends on where the oil fill level was when new but it’s fine as it’s in the middle of the minimum and maximum fill level. I wouldn’t worry as this stage. Keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Looks fine to me :) I did change at 5000 or 6000km than at 17000 and next is planned for 30000km. :) Used original parts (new oil pan plug and filter) and Millers Oil. I have doubts about VW technicians (I had problem with suspension so I wanted to do it under warranty and it was dissaster) so I did changes on my own with help of original service manual.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm Looks fine to me :) I did change at 5000 or 6000km than at 17000 and next is planned for 30000km. :) Used original parts (new oil pan plug and filter) and Millers Oil. I have doubts about VW technicians (I had problem with suspension so I wanted to do it under warranty and it was dissaster) so I did changes on my own with help of original service manual.
Let's hope you don't have any major warranty issues - I'm assuming VW would deny you warranty coverage if you can't prove you had it serviced by someone they deem competent, with official parts. I do agree with you that many "technicians" aren't that competent, relying on the computer to tell them what to remove and replace rather than common sense of a time served mechanic.

I did a 1000 mile run in oil change on my Golf R - needed an oil filter, the right spec oil (6L) and a replacement plastic sump plug. I wouldn't forego official servicing purely because I don't want to hive VW a reason to deny warranty.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:23 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm Looks fine to me :) I did change at 5000 or 6000km than at 17000 and next is planned for 30000km. :) Used original parts (new oil pan plug and filter) and Millers Oil. I have doubts about VW technicians (I had problem with suspension so I wanted to do it under warranty and it was dissaster) so I did changes on my own with help of original service manual.
Let's hope you don't have any major warranty issues - I'm assuming VW would deny you warranty coverage if you can't prove you had it serviced by someone they deem competent, with official parts. I do agree with you that many "technicians" aren't that competent, relying on the computer to tell them what to remove and replace rather than common sense of a time served mechanic.

I did a 1000 mile run in oil change on my Golf R - needed an oil filter, the right spec oil (6L) and a replacement plastic sump plug. I wouldn't forego official servicing purely because I don't want to hive VW a reason to deny warranty.
My factory warranty ends in 6 months. My extended warranty will end in 30 months. So I kinda thinking about doing at least one service at VW but this was my fist (also last) brand new car and they honestly lost my trust. Also prices are absolutly outrageous. :D