VW Polo GTI is already phasing out...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: VW Polo GTI is already phasing out...

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 pm Well I’ve made my enquiry today for a gti plus, getting a call back from two dealerships tomorrow but both have said the polo gti has become like rocking horse s**t. With the increase in road tax, reduced production and how popular the car is, both dealerships have said it may be a struggle to source one without a 6 month wait. This could all be typical dealership talk but I’ll let you all know in case anyone else is thinking of buying one.
That's not idle shop talk. For a fresh order, the Polo GTI+ has always been a 6-8 month wait. Don't forget that 2 months of that wait is transporting from South Africa to UK via Emden.

I might have to get rid of mine in the not too distant future. We may need a larger car. The Polo is big enough for me, the wife and 2 kids (5 and 7) and shopping (but not luggage if we were holidaying from a non- local airport) but we've got a labrador on the way - it's a week old, picking it up Aug 6th. That thing will get big quickly! Keeping an eye out for a bargain on a nearly new Audi A4 or A6 Avant TDI190.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 pm Well I’ve made my enquiry today for a gti plus, getting a call back from two dealerships tomorrow but both have said the polo gti has become like rocking horse s**t. With the increase in road tax, reduced production and how popular the car is, both dealerships have said it may be a struggle to source one without a 6 month wait. This could all be typical dealership talk but I’ll let you all know in case anyone else is thinking of buying one.
Thanks for the update.

When I made some tentative enquiries back in February, I was told there was around a five-six month wait at that time for a factory build. So all things considered - the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and catching up on lost production from the recent factory closure (5-6 weeks?), a six month wait actually sounds pretty good for a factory order.

I’ve waited quite a bit longer than six months for a factory ordered VW before (8 months wait for a Golf GTD) and in all honesty, the wait has never really bothered me that much. It would’ve probably been worse if I’d regularly tracked the build progress and the car’s journey to the UK once it left the factory, but I’d just find that frustrating so have never bothered to do that. I might have felt differently about a long wait though if I’d had a lease or PCP agreement coming to an end that could have left me car-less if it wasn’t possible to agree an extension in the lease or PCP contract term.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Yep 6 months pretty much the norm. When I ordered mine at start of February I git one in the system and was told this would knock a month off and it was still 4/5 month wait. With the factory closure it will be a 6 to 7 month delay. I guess though that it might be longer at the moment if build allocation filled and not currently able to order from factory. There are quite a few nearly new but at much higher sticker prices than a factory order. There might be some on order like mine that can still have the spec changed?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

If they haven’t got one in stock somewhere then I may go for their demonstrator. It’s done under 2000 miles in reef blue with the black pack on it. Depends on the price compared to the golf, which I hated in every picture but then didn’t mind it in person when I saw one last week, and the 1 series.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:28 pm If they haven’t got one in stock somewhere then I may go for their demonstrator. It’s done under 2000 miles in reef blue with the black pack on it. Depends on the price compared to the golf, which I hated in every picture but then didn’t mind it in person when I saw one last week, and the 1 series.
If you're after a factory order in a hurry, it's got to be the 1 series. BMW generally will have one to you 8 weeks after ordering, none of this "we've ran out of allication" crap.

If you want a MK8 Golf (fugly on paper and in the flesh IMO), they're not even taking orders for performance models yet, and when they do, you could find yourself with a long wait (waited 6.5 months for a new out MK7 GTD in 2013, waited 8.5 months for a Golf R ordered Sep14 and delivered May 15)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:28 pm If they haven’t got one in stock somewhere then I may go for their demonstrator. It’s done under 2000 miles in reef blue with the black pack on it. Depends on the price compared to the golf, which I hated in every picture but then didn’t mind it in person when I saw one last week, and the 1 series.
If you’re thinking of buying on PCP, be aware that VW’s PCP APR rates on used cars are significantly higher than they are on new cars; currently 8.9% APR representative on used cars (current rate on new cars; 5.4%). Also bear in mind that VW dealers often advertise their demonstrators before they’re available for sale - they normally run them on their demonstrator fleet for a minimum number of months or until they’ve covered x miles. So it would be advisable to check with the dealer to make sure the Reef Blue GTI+ you’re interested in is available for immediate delivery.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ No deposit contribution or service pack savings on used generally either.

Buying an ex-demo smallish car that doesn't come with massive RRP discounts rarely makes financial sense vs a new one with a keen discount.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:50 pm ^ No deposit contribution or service pack savings on used generally either.

Buying an ex-demo smallish car that doesn't come with massive RRP discounts rarely makes financial sense vs a new one with a keen discount.
Looks as if VW have increased the finance deposit contribution to £1,750 (from £1,250) on brand new Polos but it’s only available on the R-Line, Beats and Match; not the GTI or GTI+. Maybe the GTI / GTI+ are excluded from the finance deposit contribution because you can’t currently order a new factory build and there may not be any new unregistered stock of GTI/GTI+ models in the UK either.
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Indeed. The car I test drove was the exact spec I wanted. It had 300 miles on the clock and I was sorely tempted to avoid the wait but buying new with the deposit contribution was £100 cheaper per month to me so a new one was a no brainier. Since then the prices have massively increased on the pre reg cars due to demand and an unregistered car is being advertised in one instance at over £25000 which is way overpriced and over £6000 more than I paid new in February. Seems better to wait for a new one than go pre reg.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:23 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:50 pm ^ No deposit contribution or service pack savings on used generally either.

Looks as if VW have increased the finance deposit contribution to £1,750 (from £1,250) on brand new Polos but it’s only available on the R-Line, Beats and Match; not the GTI or GTI+. Maybe the GTI / GTI+ are excluded from the finance deposit contribution because you can’t currently order a new factory build and there may not be any new unregistered stock of GTI/GTI+ models in the UK either.
It'll be interesting to see if the deposit contribution comes back when the GTI/GTI+ can be ordered again.

The deposit contribution was on all Polos from launch, but was pulled from the GTI/GTI+ after a matter of weeks. It wasn't available when we bought our 2 GTI+

VW realised that at the time GTI+ were selling like hot cakes and they didn't have to subsidise them to sell them. May well be the same story again for a while - with the MK8 Golf filtering into showrooms, there's going to be 9 to 12 months between now and the first MK8.Golf GTIs coming through - the Polo.GTI may well be a stop gap for those would-be Golf owners who can't wait.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:48 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:23 pm

It'll be interesting to see if the deposit contribution comes back when the GTI/GTI+ can be ordered again.

The deposit contribution was on all Polos from launch, but was pulled from the GTI/GTI+ after a matter of weeks. It wasn't available when we bought our 2 GTI+

VW realised that at the time GTI+ were selling like hot cakes and they didn't have to subsidise them to sell them. May well be the same story again for a while - with the MK8 Golf filtering into showrooms, there's going to be 9 to 12 months between now and the first MK8.Golf GTIs coming through - the Polo.GTI may well be a stop gap for those would-be Golf owners who can't wait.
I got the deposit contribution on mine when I ordered in December, but then that is generally a quiet month for car sales
glad I did then as the apr has gone up 0.5% since too
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

I ordered my replacement Polo Gti+ Back in October for the duff one first supplied.
It’s been at the dealers since Mid March, C19 prevented its pick up, and I’m still waiting for a day when I can collect it.
I’ve worked all way through the lock down and now work load has increased, but I am hopefully going to get a couple of days off soon so can empty old car and pick up the Gti+.
I do hope they haven’t sold it! As it’s all gone quiet from them lately. :?
I will give them a poke this week.
It sounds like could be currently a bit of rare beast!
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Interesting to see that you can order a GTi in South Africa which suggests that it is likely to return in UK once order backlog opens and allows an allocation again.
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

Ima wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 pm Interesting to see that you can order a GTi in South Africa which suggests that it is likely to return in UK once order backlog opens and allows an allocation again.
The polo Gti is showing on the UK Configurator again, so looking promising that it will be available to order soon.
silver38
New
Drives: GTi+

Post by silver38 »

I think all are stock only. Can't configure the Polo.