VW Polo GTI is already phasing out...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: VW Polo GTI is already phasing out...

Post by lancslad1985 »

Ima wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 am It’s a miracle. After 6 months my polo gti + is finally built and on the way! I was starting to believe it would never happen! Only another 2 months to go🤪

Ps. Dealer confirmed that Gti is definitely not stopping long term. VW uk have reached the allocation limit but it will be back.
You’re catching me up, mines on a ship stopping at Vigo on 4am Saturday morning and it was built in March!
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

I was on the VW site configurator this morning, some small print saying the GTI is from stock only, also diesels and any remaining SE spec models. Still not sure if this means they are being phased out or just a pause in production runs. I suppose we are now at the mid life cycle of the Polo at approaching 3 years, maybe they are planning a refresh with some styling tweaks for the second phase. Usually the Match model being introduced is the closing act as with Golf but a bit early yet.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:48 am
Ima wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 am It’s a miracle. After 6 months my polo gti + is finally built and on the way! I was starting to believe it would never happen! Only another 2 months to go🤪

Ps. Dealer confirmed that Gti is definitely not stopping long term. VW uk have reached the allocation limit but it will be back.
You’re catching me up, mines on a ship stopping at Vigo on 4am Saturday morning and it was built in March!
Blimey it is a slow process! That’s COVID for you. I hope knowing it was built has helped ease the wait slightly? How did you find out what ship it was on? I’m trying to put it at the back of my mind now but I know I’ll feel the need to look!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Simonz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 am I was on the VW site configurator this morning, some small print saying the GTI is from stock only, also diesels and any remaining SE spec models. Still not sure if this means they are being phased out or just a pause in production runs. I suppose we are now at the mid life cycle of the Polo at approaching 3 years, maybe they are planning a refresh with some styling tweaks for the second phase. Usually the Match model being introduced is the closing act as with Golf but a bit early yet.
VW may still be clearing a backlog of o/s car builds at the factory from orders received in Q1 this year; the factory was closed from late March to early-mid May because of lockdown and when production recommenced, it was at less than full production capacity. They may have decided to focus on clearing the backlog and building the volume sellers in the Polo range before taking new orders on the lower volume models - and I’m assuming the GTI, although very popular, sells in smaller numbers than say a 1.0 Polo Match.

The timing of the mid life facelift will depend on how long the lifespan of the current model is. The previous generation Polo was in production from 2009 - 2017 and got it’s mid life facelift towards the end of 2014, so I’d expect we might see the facelift version of the current Polo range some time next year. However, if the current Golf is an indication of what VW might do to the Polo, styling-wise, then now might be a good time to buy one before VW turn it into an ugly duckling (IMO that’s what the new Golf is) and replace pretty much all the conventional easy to use interior switchgear with a touch pad that can be difficult to use while driving.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am However, if the current Golf is an indication of what VW might do to the Polo, styling-wise, then now might be a good time to buy one before VW turn it into an ugly duckling (IMO that’s what the new Golf is) and replace pretty much all the conventional easy to use interior switchgear with a touch pad that can be difficult to use while driving.
You'd better get your order in within the next year SRGTD, because if switching over to buttonless instrumentstion makes serious savings per car, VW might do it sooner rather than later. I think the car is probably up for an 8 year lifespan (taking us to late 2025) with a half life facelift coming in at the back of next year or early 2022. After 2025, will we see another Polo or will everyone be pushing electric? I think we'll see another (probably hybrid) because I don't think we'll be anywhere close to having the charging infrastructure to support 5 million electric cars on the road in 5 years time.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Ima wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am

Blimey it is a slow process! That’s COVID for you. I hope knowing it was built has helped ease the wait slightly? How did you find out what ship it was on? I’m trying to put it at the back of my mind now but I know I’ll feel the need to look!
To be fair I think mine missed the last ship before the shutdown, as someone else on here had a car built the week before mine and it was at emden already early July. Mine left South Africa on 1st July. Once it’s booked on a ship your dealer should be able to tell you. Mines on the Glovis Spirit.

As I’m extremely unlikely to see it now before mid August I’m wondering whether to push collection back to September so I can get the new plate. Considering I’ve always bought cars new from UK stock this is the first time I’ve waited longer than two weeks.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am
SRGTD wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am However, if the current Golf is an indication of what VW might do to the Polo, styling-wise, then now might be a good time to buy one before VW turn it into an ugly duckling (IMO that’s what the new Golf is) and replace pretty much all the conventional easy to use interior switchgear with a touch pad that can be difficult to use while driving.
You'd better get your order in within the next year SRGTD, because if switching over to buttonless instrumentstion makes serious savings per car, VW might do it sooner rather than later. I think the car is probably up for an 8 year lifespan (taking us to late 2025) with a half life facelift coming in at the back of next year or early 2022. After 2025, will we see another Polo or will everyone be pushing electric? I think we'll see another (probably hybrid) because I don't think we'll be anywhere close to having the charging infrastructure to support 5 million electric cars on the road in 5 years time.
Yes, I know! I’d like one last blast in an ICE car before being forced down the electric route.

I think a number of manufacturers will producing hybrid models over the next few years as a stop gap before the transition to all electric.
Vag8
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Vag8 »

Yeah my thoughts too... before the switch to hybrid then full electric... one last hurrah with a fossil fuel hot hatch :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If the hybrid technology in the new Suzuki Swift Sport is anything to go by I’m not sure I want it....

“The new powertrain generates 127bhp, down 11bhp on the outgoing model, although torque increases by 3lb ft to 173lb ft. The result is a quoted 0-62mph time that reduces by a second to 9.1sec, although the Swift Sport claims the same 130mph top speed as before”

So heavier, slower 0-60 only marginally more torque and here’s the killer... £3000 more !! :shock: :shock:
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am
Ima wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am

To be fair I think mine missed the last ship before the shutdown, as someone else on here had a car built the week before mine and it was at emden already early July. Mine left South Africa on 1st July. Once it’s booked on a ship your dealer should be able to tell you. Mines on the Glovis Spirit.

As I’m extremely unlikely to see it now before mid August I’m wondering whether to push collection back to September so I can get the new plate. Considering I’ve always bought cars new from UK stock this is the first time I’ve waited longer than two weeks.
Mate, I'd wait for the new plate !!
MJ
Wetherfell
New
Drives: None at present

Post by Wetherfell »

Vag8 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:54 pm Yeah my thoughts too... before the switch to hybrid then full electric... one last hurrah with a fossil fuel hot hatch :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If the hybrid technology in the new Suzuki Swift Sport is anything to go by I’m not sure I want it....

“The new powertrain generates 127bhp, down 11bhp on the outgoing model, although torque increases by 3lb ft to 173lb ft. The result is a quoted 0-62mph time that reduces by a second to 9.1sec, although the Swift Sport claims the same 130mph top speed as before”

So heavier, slower 0-60 only marginally more torque and here’s the killer... £3000 more !! :shock: :shock:
My Mrs was vaguely interested in one of those. We were surprised to see the negative effect of the mild hybrid on the performance (and price!). By comparison the mild hybrid version of the Fiesta 1.0 140ps gains 15 ps and around 60Nm of torque.