VW Polo GTI is already phasing out...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: VW Polo GTI is already phasing out...

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:03 am Maybe VW is throttling Polo output so that the MK8 Golf launch isn't a damp squib? Can't get the Polo, so I'll have to get the MK8.Golf instead.
Honestly doesn't help that they've completely ruined the MK8. Could potentially forgive the exterior changes they've made, but the new interior is genuinely awful.

I'd rather take a used MK7.5 than a MK8 Golf.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Especially when Seat With new Leon and Skoda with new Octavia have done a much better job of it. Also the tartan on new GTi look bleached and cheap looking.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

IMO, the mk8 Golf must’ve got the short straw as far as looks are concerned when it and its three ‘siblings’ (New A3, Octavia and Leon) were designed. I know looks are very subjective but I liked the look of the new A3 and Octavia from the outset, the new Leon’s looks have grown on me, but sadly I just don’t like the mk8 Golf, which after being spanked with the ugly stick, has ended up with a face that only a mother could love. Just my opinion though 🤔.

@Ima; agree on the mk8 Golf GTI’s seats - nowhere near as nice as the tartan fabric used in the mk7/mk7.5 and the Polo, and probably what the Polo GTI will get when it’s facelifted. Also, making the mk8 GTI’s front seats with no separate headrests is another cost cutting measure; they’ll be cheaper to make than seats with separate adjustable headrests.

So in summary, mk8 Golf; ugly exterior, cheap interior, what’s to like? It’ll still sell well though as it’s a Golf. It’ll be interesting to see what discounts and finance incentives are available to help it sell.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi guys

Glad I found this thread as thought I was going mad the other week when couldn’t find Polo GTI on the configurator.

My first thought was surely it’s way too early to phasing out for a facelift. I see that facelift possibility and EU Emissions Average and the fines that would be liable have been mentioned.

I’m thinking that removal from sale is either purely Polo range related (ie VW have filled an allocation and don’t want to bring any more in) or it’s a wider company plan to control sales and mitigate any potential fine.

One of the papers had an article about Mercedes-AMG that said numbers of most polluting cars would have to be on a strict quota basis. The company denied it but an article in Autocar on how manufacturers were going to control the EU fines, suggested that limits on some models would happen.

So I wonder if, with the Golf GTI/Clubsport?/R just around the corner whether VW want to keep an allocation free to sell these models and not limit themselves with lower value sales (in monetary terms) with Polo GTIs.

Also I know the price hike in the Polo GTI was commented on (for no increase in spec). Also been reported the car makers could pass on likely fine per vehicle to consumer. Eg Up GTI was off sale then came back on sale with price hike which (according to Autocar, not in so many words) looked suspiciously close to the amount VW would have to pay for car being over the average figure they have been set to meet.

Finally, Moneyhanger I have been reading your reports and reviews of Polo GTI ownership closely as I currently have a Golf R and thought a Polo GTI would be too much of a downgrade when the time came to change. You have made me reconsider that, so Polo still on the shortlist. thank you
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

Hi! New Member here!

I ordered a VW Polo GTI+ mid January 2020.

Options:
Limestone Grey
Brescias
Beats
Climate Control
Grey dash inserts

Was told June time, have just had a phone call from MD to say it’s been built, has arrived in Spain, and is soon heading to Germany, 4-6 weeks left to wait.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

TheRacingRat wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:54 pm Hi! New Member here!

I ordered a VW Polo GTI+ mid January 2020.

Options:
Limestone Grey
Brescias
Beats
Climate Control
Grey dash inserts

Was told June time, have just had a phone call from MD to say it’s been built, has arrived in Spain, and is soon heading to Germany, 4-6 weeks left to wait.
This a UK vehicle?
You might want to double check with your dealer as all RHD models are made in South Africa, shipped to Emden in Germany before being put on another boat to the UK.
Spain now only makes LHD cars
TheRacingRat
Getting There!

Post by TheRacingRat »

Yes a UK car ordered in Suffolk. I think she meant the ship is passing Spain now and will soon be in Germany, I may not have heard her correctly. My App is still telling me it has not been built yet and is only a stage 3-build slot confirmed! Excited!! Was worried last week I may never get it! Any company recommendations for GAP insurance?
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

That’s good news! I’m sure you’re excited. You’ve done well. I’ve always used ALA for GAP insurance. A great company to deal with and good value especially compared to dealer rates.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Ala is the company VW use and charge you £400 according to my usual VW salesman. Save yourself some cash and go direct.
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Absolutely! Probably over 55% cheaper going direct to ALA! 👍
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Never ever buy GAP from VW. They load their supplying insurer’s net price with a massive (commission) profit margin to get to the over-inflated price for the customer.

I’ve bought GAP direct from ALA before. I don’t know if it still works but discount code MSE25 used to give a 25% discount off their normal prices. They also used to have a price promise where they’d match cheaper competitor prices.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member

Post by PhilArnold »

TheRacingRat wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:39 pm Yes a UK car ordered in Suffolk. I think she meant the ship is passing Spain now and will soon be in Germany, I may not have heard her correctly. My App is still telling me it has not been built yet and is only a stage 3-build slot confirmed! Excited!! Was worried last week I may never get it! Any company recommendations for GAP insurance?
Ah you're lucky! I ordered mine end of Dec, build week was week12, then stuck at stage 3 for ages and then 2 weeks ago bumped to stage 5
Currently on the glovis sunrise slowly making its way round the west coast of Africa
Did you get a ship name from the woman?
TheRacingRat
Getting There!

Post by TheRacingRat »

No I didn’t get the name, maybe our cars are on the same ship? I was at work when she called so was all a bit rushed. She is going to call with more details when it reaches Germany. What happens to it in Germany? Is that where they do quality control?
PhilArnold
Bronze Member

Post by PhilArnold »

TheRacingRat wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:56 pm No I didn’t get the name, maybe our cars are on the same ship? I was at work when she called so was all a bit rushed. She is going to call with more details when it reaches Germany. What happens to it in Germany? Is that where they do quality control?
Yeah I've heard it gets another QC inspection but I thinking it's mainly just putting it in the pool of Germany made cars that are queueing up to come across to the UK

I'd definitely contact her tomorrow and get a ship name, then you can watch the boat like a hawk like me :D
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Phil Arnold, mine was week 18 and no new build date after factory closed. How long after your week 12 build date was the delay before you had a build confirmation? Im trying to work out how long the build delay might be after the factory closed?