Soundaktor deactivation guide

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Soundaktor deactivation guide

Post by S_94 »

stuartrendall wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:53 pm I have already ordered some new alloys for my car. I ordered the car with the stock alloys with the intention to replace them. Got a set of Borbet Y's, which seem to be a popular choice for the Polo.
The Borbet alloys are really nice! Was tempted to get a set myself.

What size did you go for Stuart for Borbet Y?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:00 pm
stuartrendall wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:53 pm I have already ordered some new alloys for my car. I ordered the car with the stock alloys with the intention to replace them. Got a set of Borbet Y's, which seem to be a popular choice for the Polo.

What ones did you go for Stuart?

Seen a few people with these - https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/ ... %5b0%5d=18
It's a pity they're 8.0j wide rather than 7.5j wide. With the 40 offset too, the outer rim is going to be 23mm further out than stock.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

That's a shame.

This guy has them on, they look nice. https://www.instagram.com/polo.aw.gti/?hl=en

Can see what you mean though regarding the outer rim. I like having a bit of a protective lip with the Brescias/MPS4s!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:27 pm That's a shame.

This guy has them on, they look nice. https://www.instagram.com/polo.aw.gti/?hl=en

Can see what you mean though regarding the outer rim. I like having a bit of a protective lip with the Brescias/MPS4s!
You'll still have a protective lip. A 225 width tyre can cope with an 8j width, but the wheel will appear about an inch further out than they currently are. They'll be pretty much flush with the wheel arch (not a look i'd like).
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

S_94 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:00 pm

What size did you go for Stuart for Borbet Y?
I have gone for 17inch 7.5J ET47. I know 17inch is seen as quite small but where I live in the east midlands going any bigger will just make the car feel like its bouncing down the road in my opinion. I've gone for a compromise of both form and function.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

They are so like my Seat Leon FR 18” wheels which I had powder coated in black gloss. Nice 👍
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Finally got round to unplugging the soundaktor. I found that the unit isn't screwed in, you can push the clip aside from the unit and remove the unit from its retaining bracket. Doing this will mean you can store the unit off the car and one less connector you have to tape up and risk getting water into. Also, weight savings! :D

On my 19 plate, GPF equipped model the sound in the cabin is notably quieter. I had the soundaktor disabled by VCDS previously but I'm sure it never completely turned it off. Now it is noticeably off.
Plend
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by Plend »

I remember saying to the salesman when I took it out for a test drive that the noise was quite impressive and he agreed...feel so betrayed now finding out its fake. Almost like misselling a product :?:

For those who have disconnected it - is the sound now dissapointing?

I've been contemplating disconnecting it but dont know if the lack of noise will push me further to the edge of getting rid of it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Plend wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:34 pm I remember saying to the salesman when I took it out for a test drive that the noise was quite impressive and he agreed...feel so betrayed now finding out its fake. Almost like misselling a product :?:

I've been contemplating disconnecting it but dont know if the lack of noise will push me further to the edge of getting rid of it.
If you want more noise, you'll be disappointed if you disconnect it. The GPF equipped model from Oct 2018 and onwards is very quiet. You might want a res delete.
Plend
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by Plend »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm
Plend wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:34 pm I remember saying to the salesman when I took it out for a test drive that the noise was quite impressive and he agreed...feel so betrayed now finding out its fake. Almost like misselling a product :?:

If you want more noise, you'll be disappointed if you disconnect it. The GPF equipped model from Oct 2018 and onwards is very quiet. You might want a res delete.
Yeah I've got the GPF model unfortunately. Might go down the res delete route as a temporary fix at least for now
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

I know what you mean about the noise. I was sold on this car after all the reviews of the 2018 plate versions and loved the sound. I placed my order at the point they switched to GPF and was disappointed to find out that the car was no longer going to sound like that. I contemplated cancelling my order and picking up a demonstrator model but didn't. I don't regret it as I got the car in the spec I wanted and the car is just awesome and still produces a more sporty sound than the car I had before.

Once the engine is run in the sound from the car is still pleasant to me without the soundaktor in. Even with the GPF installed the car still produces a nice tone with the odd burbles and DSG farts in sports mode. They are subtle and not overdone. Without the soundaktor in, you can hear more of the real engine sounds I'm not planning on putting it back in as I just don't like the fake sound.

I do want to put in the Milltek exhaust but at nearly £700 I'm finding it hard to justify. Seriously considering the res delete at 1/10th the cost but I feel icky cutting up the stock exhaust while still in warranty.