Soundaktor deactivation guide

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Soundaktor deactivation guide

Post by monkeyhanger »

I deactivated the soundaktor on both our GTI+ today, thanks to a bit of advice from Mike 222 in the "What did you do to your Polo today" thread. You don't need any tools, everything comes off and reattaches with hands only.

First, pop the bonnet, then pull the rubber/foam tubing off the leaf guard, starting at the right side) as you're looking at it, and stopping about 1/3 the way from the left end of it, you only need to get into the RHS of the underside of the leaf guard:-

Next pull 2 metal clips out:-

Pull up the right side of the leaf guard from the centre to gain access to the Soundaktor controller:-

The large red circled area is the controller, the small red circled area is the locking grey clip you've got to pull about 2mm before pulling the plug off. The blue circled area is the soundaktor itself.

Closer look at the controller:-

Unplugged controller with taped plug:-

tape up the open connector and socket so they don't deteriorate in future. Refit the leaf guard, pressing down on the rubber top edge to lock it in, put the 2 metal clips back in, tuck the rubber /foam tubing back on the ridge it came off and the job is done.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Soundaktor deactivation guide

Post by OomStu_ZA »

nicely done!
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I think you should also be able to do it with VCDS, in the adaptation channels of the engine somehwere.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

iichel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:16 pm I think you should also be able to do it with VCDS, in the adaptation channels of the engine somehwere.
VW disabled mine for me, easy peezy :)
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

What are the pros of disabling this?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

S_94 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm What are the pros of disabling this?
In my case the device caused a nasty dash rattle when hoofing it on the throttle.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm What are the pros of disabling this?
No fake noise. I don't mind genuine noise. For the GPF equipped GTIs, almost everything you hear from within the cabin is fake.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Might give this a go. I've disabled the soundaktor via obdelevn but I'm sure when I put it into sports mode the soundaktor re-activates.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks both. Yeah might give this a go myself.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I'm pretty much sure if you set engine sound in individual it turns the soundaktor to 0% because in every other setting I can here a very quite buzz when the cars electronics are on except in the setting I mentioned above. It's not very noticable but once you hear it you can't unhear it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

stuartrendall wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:35 am I'm pretty much sure if you set engine sound in individual it turns the soundaktor to 0% because in every other setting I can here a very quite buzz when the cars electronics are on except in the setting I mentioned above. It's not very noticable but once you hear it you can't unhear it.
For the 2019/2020 model with GPF, even with the engine sound in Eco, there is some fake sound being generated. The difference between soundaktor controller connected and disconnected on the wife's car yesterday (which is individual with everything in Sport except engine noise (Eco) and Suspension (Normal)) was very noticeable.

Maybe the milder Eco setting isn't enough for yours to buzz?

On mine with no GPF, if there's any difference between Eco and disconnected then it's tiny, presumably because the non-GPF version creates plenty of natural noise. The GPF seems to mute the exhaust hugely.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member

Post by stuartrendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:10 pm
stuartrendall wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:35 am I'm pretty much sure if you set engine sound in individual it turns the soundaktor to 0% because in every other setting I can here a very quite buzz when the cars electronics are on except in the setting I mentioned above. It's not very noticable but once you hear it you can't unhear it.
For the 2019/2020 model with GPF, even with the engine sound in Eco, there is some fake sound being generated. The difference between soundaktor controller connected and disconnected on the wife's car yesterday (which is individual with everything in Sport except engine noise (Eco) and Suspension (Normal)) was very noticeable.

Maybe the milder Eco setting isn't enough for yours to buzz?

On mine with no GPF, if there's any difference between Eco and disconnected then it's tiny, presumably because the non-GPF version creates plenty of natural noise. The GPF seems to mute the exhaust hugely.
You may be right there. In my opinion if I don't think I can hear it then it's quite enough. I plan on getting an exhaust within the next 2 months anyway so it will definitely be unnoticeable then.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

stuartrendall wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm
You may be right there. In my opinion if I don't think I can hear it then it's quite enough. I plan on getting an exhaust within the next 2 months anyway so it will definitely be unnoticeable then.
Not sure whether it's sheer.boredom during lockdown, the fact that I've hardly spent anything during lockdown, or that I really miss driving (driving to an empty office once a week currently)...but I am tempted by a res delete. I don't want to have to replace the whole stock system, just replace the middle/front end to be rid of the middle box.

Will have to spend some money at some point soon - I have my first bit of whiteworm. Given VW's recent history in claim refusal, I'm probably going to have to get the wheels powder coated (£300) or buy a single replacement wheel (£250) to make the current one a full size spare and wait for the inevitable to happen on the other 3, or get a refurb done on the wheel (probably £110 inc postage) and again, await the inevitable on the other 3. The lacquer around the whiteworm had an odd halo effect near the rim when new as if it had hairline cracks in a rounded rectangle pattern. I was told to leave it by the dealership. 2nd service due 1st Aug or thereabouts. Might wait until then, get the dealership's opinion whether VW would refuse and make the decision to powder coat then. What colour though? I could save £50 on paint because I had to buy a batch of custom paint for my R's Pretorias when one was refurbed - it is a slightly bluish bright silver. Or I pay for some new stuff like anthracite/gunmetal grey.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:44 pm Will have to spend some money at some point soon - I have my first bit of whiteworm. Given VW's recent history in claim refusal, I'm probably going to have to get the wheels powder coated (£300) or buy a single replacement wheel (£250) to make the current one a full size spare and wait for the inevitable to happen on the other 3, or get a refurb done on the wheel (probably £110 inc postage) and again, await the inevitable on the other 3. The lacquer around the whiteworm had an odd halo effect near the rim when new as if it had hairline cracks in a rounded rectangle pattern. I was told to leave it by the dealership. 2nd service due 1st Aug or thereabouts. Might wait until then, get the dealership's opinion whether VW would refuse and make the decision to powder coat then. What colour though? I could save £50 on paint because I had to buy a batch of custom paint for my R's Pretorias when one was refurbed - it is a slightly bluish bright silver. Or I pay for some new stuff like anthracite/gunmetal grey.
Red car + anthracite wheels = great combination! 😎

IMO if car manufacturers persist in fitting diamond cut alloys as the standard fitment on the majority of their performance cars, it would be good if they offered the option of painted / powder coated wheels as well - like they did on the mk7/mk7.5 Golf R (standard 18” diamond cut Cadiz, Optional painted / powder coated 19” Pretoria). I’d always go for the painted / powder coated option; it’s a much more durable finish and stands up well to the UK winter weather, and you don’t get white worm corrosion issues with a painted / powder coated finish either.

VW readily replaced two of the diamond cut alloys on my mk6 GTD because they’d succumbed to white worm. That was 7 years ago though and times have changed, so if their approach to warranty claims on alloys has changed, they may be less willing to readily replace them.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member

Post by stuartrendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:44 pm
stuartrendall wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm
Not sure whether it's sheer.boredom during lockdown, the fact that I've hardly spent anything during lockdown, or that I really miss driving (driving to an empty office once a week currently)...but I am tempted by a res delete. I don't want to have to replace the whole stock system, just replace the middle/front end to be rid of the middle box.

Will have to spend some money at some point soon - I have my first bit of whiteworm. Given VW's recent history in claim refusal, I'm probably going to have to get the wheels powder coated (£300) or buy a single replacement wheel (£250) to make the current one a full size spare and wait for the inevitable to happen on the other 3, or get a refurb done on the wheel (probably £110 inc postage) and again, await the inevitable on the other 3. The lacquer around the whiteworm had an odd halo effect near the rim when new as if it had hairline cracks in a rounded rectangle pattern. I was told to leave it by the dealership. 2nd service due 1st Aug or thereabouts. Might wait until then, get the dealership's opinion whether VW would refuse and make the decision to powder coat then. What colour though? I could save £50 on paint because I had to buy a batch of custom paint for my R's Pretorias when one was refurbed - it is a slightly bluish bright silver. Or I pay for some new stuff like anthracite/gunmetal grey.
I have already ordered some new alloys for my car. I ordered the car with the stock alloys with the intention to replace them. Got a set of Borbet Y's, which seem to be a popular choice for the Polo.