Just booked my car in for it's first service.........

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Just booked my car in for it's first service.........

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you bought the pack, you need fixed services. Book it in at 12 months. They'll do the service and reset in interval to fixed for the next one.
polo5111
New
Drives: 1.0 Tsi SE

Post by polo5111 »

Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought but nice to get a second opinion - although you would hope that when the dealer goes to the trouble of selling you the service package they would make sure it was set properly before you took delivery.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

polo5111 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought but nice to get a second opinion - although you would hope that when the dealer goes to the trouble of selling you the service package they would make sure it was set properly before you took delivery.
When I bought my current car, I reminded the dealer within a week of taking delivery that the service regime needed to be changed from the factory default flexible / long life to time and distance. They had this reminder in an e-mail and I also mentioned it when I spoke to them. Did they do it?............Of course they didn’t!
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am
polo5111 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought but nice to get a second opinion - although you would hope that when the dealer goes to the trouble of selling you the service package they would make sure it was set properly before you took delivery.
When I bought my current car, I reminded the dealer within a week of taking delivery that the service regime needed to be changed from the factory default flexible / long life to time and distance. They had this reminder in an e-mail and I also mentioned it when I spoke to them. Did they do it?............Of course they didn’t!
I find the service mileage is bit short my car is telling me every 9500 miles. I like it to be 12000 miles as long decent oil goes in it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Steve_2019 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 pmI find the service mileage is bit short my car is telling me every 9500 miles.
I think that’s because the car is programmed to trigger a ‘service due’ message at 15,000 km’s when it’s on time and distance servicing, as the service intervals are 15,000 km’s in countries that measure distance in kilometres. Converting 15k km’s to miles is around 9,400 miles.

VW UK treat time and distance service intervals as the sooner of 10k miles or 12 months though, so if you get the ‘service due’ message at 9,500 it gives you time to get it booked in for service at 10k miles or thereabouts.

If you’re doing a low mileage, then the ‘service due’ message will be triggered by the time threshold rather than the distance threshold, based on the service being due at the sooner of 12 months or 10k miles. The message will start to appear at around 11 months when there’s 30 days left until the ‘service due’ date, and the number of days to service in the message will reduce on a day by day basis until the car is serviced and the service reminder is reset.
Last edited by SRGTD on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Steve_2019 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am
I find the service mileage is bit short my car is telling me every 9500 miles. I like it to be 12000 miles as long decent oil goes in it.
It's about 9400 miles because it's not set to "10000 miles", it's set to 15000km, with a km>miles conversion going on in the background.

My Audi A4 oddly has a 9000 miles interval - first time I've had an interval of less than 10k miles for a VW or Audi.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's a threshold of +/- 1000 miles or +/- 1 month tolerated by VW generally, that had opened up quite a bit due to COVID-19 and workshops not being open.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Don't expect much beyond an oil and filter change plus lots of boxes ticked on an inspection sheet. Got that after my first year service, second year they changed the pollen filter. Might be a few more years before they change the air filter or spark plugs...Only use is for maintaining the warranty. They also didn't even reset the service indicator so I did it myself after watching You tube. Don't take much notice of the indicator anyhow, it was counting up for months towards 20k and I wouldn't want the oil being used for that long, 12 month intervals fine as main dealers use decent Shell oil which should last. Once mine is 3 years old next March it's off to independent place for MOT and service. No idea how long brake pads are supposed to last on average, I'm nudging 30k I hope they last until next service. Think front disks are warped anyhow, can feel the pulsing as you pull up at traffic lights - happens on most cars.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Simonz wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:40 pm Don't expect much beyond an oil and filter change plus lots of boxes ticked on an inspection sheet. Got that after my first year service, second year they changed the pollen filter. Might be a few more years before they change the air filter or spark plugs...Only use is for maintaining the warranty. They also didn't even reset the service indicator so I did it myself after watching You tube. Don't take much notice of the indicator anyhow, it was counting up for months towards 20k and I wouldn't want the oil being used for that long, 12 month intervals fine as main dealers use decent Shell oil which should last. Once mine is 3 years old next March it's off to independent place for MOT and service. No idea how long brake pads are supposed to last on average, I'm nudging 30k I hope they last until next service. Think front disks are warped anyhow, can feel the pulsing as you pull up at traffic lights - happens on most cars.
Like yourself I’m sticking too the VW service regime to maintain the warranty. Then after the warranty expires I either do the servicing myself or take it too a local garage. As long you use good quality engine oil I can’t see why you can’t service it every 12000 miles. The castrol edge oil is designed to last 20000 miles so that be more then adequate to use.

Brake pad wear depends on your driving style and what kind of driving you do. On my last car that I had 35,000 miles on when I part exchanged it, it still had the original brake pads on but I do a lot of motorway driving on my commute to work.