Gti engine Sound

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

Gti engine Sound

Post by DKPOLOGT »

Hi guys.

Any bid on where this sound (knocking) comes from?
It’s loudest around 2000 rpm if i feather the throttle.

There are no bad sounds at cold start.
The knocking is also not present when the enigne is started and in “cold start mode”.

https://youtu.be/Zv3IBkLVmx8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by DKPOLOGT on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Gti engine Sound

Post by OomStu_ZA »

It sounds more like a flutter to me, as if there is a pipe rattling against the body of the car...try opening the bonnet and get someone else to rev while you listen around the engine bay to localise it.
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Post by DKPOLOGT »

Vw has looked at the car. They say it’s the camshaft adjustment devices. But since no errors appear, they wont change any parts.

I would say that the knocking is quite easy to hear.

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It might be that you're around the threshold of Budack cycle/Otto cycle switchover, which seems to be around 20kW output on the performance monitor screen.

Can't say I've felt or heard the switchover myself, I just notice the instant mpg increase significantly as a step change below 20kW output.
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Post by DKPOLOGT »

monkeyhanger wrote:It might be that you're around the threshold of Budack cycle/Otto cycle switchover, which seems to be around 20kW output on the performance monitor screen.

Can't say I've felt or heard the switchover myself, I just notice the instant mpg increase significantly as a step change below 20kW output.
Well, it’s a bid.
But note that the car is in Park.
I Hardy think that im using more than 1-2 kw while reving the engine so slightly.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DKPOLOGT wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:41 am
monkeyhanger wrote:It might be that you're around the threshold of Budack cycle/Otto cycle switchover, which seems to be around 20kW output on the performance monitor screen.

Well, it’s a bid.
I Hardy think that im using more than 1-2 kw while reving the engine so slightly.

Definitely not! Must be something else then. If the VW techs hear the noise when you've taken the car in, if there's no fault code, they should still record the noise and the circumstances in which it happens and send to VW. That's the trouble with warranty these days - they just replace components after they've failed, they don't do any pre-emptive /preventative work. They'd rather replace a flywheel, clutch and gearbox when a DMF fails and takes the lot out than replace a flywheel that's a bit iffy before it fails catastrophically. That's the way VW warranty reimbursement works.

Add to that, many technicians aren't proper mechanics, they strictly follow the computer's instructions to strip and replace component X and rarely use their own initiative.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Indeed they are techs not mechanics and paid in a way that prevents initiative. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve had an issue, identified the problem and often a manufacturer bulletin and had to tell the tech what they need to do🤯
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Post by DKPOLOGT »

monkeyhanger wrote:
DKPOLOGT wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:41 am

Well, it’s a bid.

Definitely not! Must be something else then. If the VW techs hear the noise when you've taken the car in, if there's no fault code, they should still record the noise and the circumstances in which it happens and send to VW. That's the trouble with warranty these days - they just replace composts after they've failed, they don't do any pre-emptive /preventative work. They'd rather replace a flywheel, clutch and gearbox when a DMF fails and takes the lot out than replace a flywheel that's a bit iffy before it fails catastrophically. That's the way VW warranty reimbursement works.

Add to that, many technicians aren't proper mechanics, they strictly follow the computer's instructions to strip and replace component X and rarely use their own initiative.
Exatcly.

My dealer is very helpfull, they have sent the video to the techs, and since theres no faults, it’s considerd working noise from the cam shaft adjuster elements.
Not two engines are the same...

Crap.

Others who want to chime in on this?

Any help is usefull!!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We have a 2018 pre-GPF GTI+ and a 2019 GPF equipped GTI+ in our household - neither make any untoward drivetrain noises under any circumstances.
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Gti engine Sound

Post by DKPOLOGT »

monkeyhanger wrote:We have a 2018 pre-GPF GTI+ and a 2019 GPF equipped GTI+ in our household - neither make any untoward drivetrain noises under any circumstances.
Can you double check that. Hot engine.

Stationary and gently rev from 1700-2500, up and down

Would be very usefull.

Maybe even a video of it.

Ps. Mine is a GPF.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Next time I'm out I will do that for mine. The wife is out in her right now. I'll try and jump in while it's hot when she's back. Our Soundaktors are disabled so any sound should be even more prominent if it's there.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

DKPOLOGT wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:23 am Vw has looked at the car. They say it’s the camshaft adjustment devices. But since no errors appear, they wont change any parts.

I would say that the knocking is quite easy to hear.

I recal a few years back VW had to change a part (some kind of bearing in the engine area) for my vehicle at the time and all seemed fine until you got it onto the freeway. There was an awful high pitched sound at higher revs that eminated from the engine bay so took it straight back. My argument was that the part was not engineered to sound like that so they must fix, at first they argued the point but then complied after a bit of to and fro and threatning with lawyers. So much for a smooth customer expierence but keep finding myself going back for another model every other year :P
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DKPOLOGT wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:18 am
monkeyhanger wrote:We have a 2018 pre-GPF GTI+ and a 2019 GPF equipped GTI+ in our household - neither make any untoward drivetrain noises under any circumstances.
Can you double check that. Hot engine.

Stationary and gently rev from 1700-2500, up and down

Would be very usefull.

Maybe even a video of it.

Ps. Mine is a GPF.

Didn't go out in the wife's when she got back. She'd queued outside Asda in the rain for 25 mins (social distancing) before getting shopping - so she was a bit pee'd off when she got in.

Just been out in mine - 7 miles and oil temp up to 86C when I parked up around the corner from home on the way back and slowly revved 1500 to 2500rpm (taking 5 seconds to get there) and 5 seconds to get back down. Repeated this for 3 times then did the same taking 10 seconds up and down 3 times.

No knocking, no clicking, all I heard was the exhaust popping twice per deceleration cycle when coming back down, and mild turbo whine up and down (as expected). I had the radio off and my Soundaktor is disabled, so I got a clear listen with no background noises.

Are you definitely sure you're not mistaking the exhaust pop for knocking? If you only hear it on the deceleration, it's possible. However, I'm expecting yours (and my wifes) GPF equipped GTIs to have quieter exhaust pops than mine due to presence of GPF.
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member

Post by DKPOLOGT »

Thx man.

The knocking is from the engine.
I do also hear pops from the exhaust.

This is annoying.

mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

Just listened to the video, I would be tempted to get it inspected via RAC / good local independent garage and see what they say.

MJ