GTI Battery Access

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

GTI Battery Access

Post by TurboTrev »

Next doors Lexus Hybrid had a flat battery the other day and he asked if I could give him a jump start. I tried to access the battery of our GTI to find that it's in the boot. I took the spare wheel out, but still couldn't access the terminals due to a cover that was bolted over it. In the end I gave up and I used my Clubsport to do it. I then looked back at the Polo and it looked like I needed to remove some of the back panel trim to get access the bolts to get the cover off? Surely it can't be that complicated, I am I missing something? Thanks.
Last edited by TurboTrev on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Re: GTI Battery Access

Post by PhilArnold »

TurboTrev wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 pm Next doors Lexus Hybrid had a flat battery the other day and he asked if I could give him a jump star. I tried to access the battery of our GTI to find that it's in the boot. I took the spare wheel out, but still couldn't access the terminals due to a cover that was bolted over it. In the end I gave up and I used my Clubsport to do it. I then looked back at the Polo and it looked like I needed to remove some of the back panel trim to get access the bolts to get the cover off? Surely it can't be that complicated, I am I missing something? Thanks.
If it's anything like my 6C there will be 2 terminals in the engine bay specifically for this. One is under a red plastic cover

The battery cables run from the boot into the engine
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

PhilArnold wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:10 pm
TurboTrev wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 pm Next doors Lexus Hybrid had a flat battery the other day and he asked if I could give him a jump start. I tried to access the battery of our GTI to find that it's in the boot. I took the spare wheel out, but still couldn't access the terminals due to a cover that was bolted over it. In the end I gave up and I used my Clubsport to do it. I then looked back at the Polo and it looked like I needed to remove some of the back panel trim to get access the bolts to get the cover off? Surely it can't be that complicated, I am I missing something? Thanks.
If it's anything like my 6C there will be 2 terminals in the engine bay specifically for this. One is under a red plastic cover

The battery cables run from the boot into the engine
Thanks, that sounds sensible, I'll take a look.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

^^^Yes, found both terminals under the bonnet. Thanks. Now serving 10 minutes in the corner with my dunce's hat on.
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Yes there are 2 terminals in the engine bay, I’ve added a picture to make it easier, one terminal is the earth Or
(- black) in this case it’s the big metal pin & the other is not visible in the picture but it’s just next to the ecu if you spot the thick red (+)wire, I’ve circled them in red in the picture .
Hope this helps .
Attachments
85D72820-879B-43A4-94EF-F199A81C957B.jpeg
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

Yes already found them, but thanks for posting the picture, very helpful.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

It's a simple RTFM procedure :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've never given or accepted a jump start from any modern cars, it is just too easy to cause damage, I've only ever used my own battery based jump pack and I'd advise others to do the same.

Anyone that runs a Lexus Hybrid will have enough money to protect themselves from ending up in that situation, lack of thought and not be prepared to administer self help.

None of that is meant as being mean to others, just common sense, helping others is good but not when you are left with a mess.

Edit:- these under bonnet jump posts are for accepting a jump start from a jump pack, not for supplying unknown levels of current to a broken down other vehicle.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:24 pm I've never given or accepted a jump start from any modern cars, it is just too easy to cause damage, I've only ever used my own battery based jump pack and I'd advise others to do the same.

Anyone that runs a Lexus Hybrid will have enough money to protect themselves from ending up in that situation, lack of thought and not be prepared to administer self help.

None of that is meant as being mean to others, just common sense, helping others is good but not when you are left with a mess.

Edit:- these under bonnet jump posts are for accepting a jump start from a jump pack, not for supplying unknown levels of current to a broken down other vehicle.
Totally agree. My cousin's father in law wanted a jump from his car. The father in law connected the leads (because he decided he knew best) and caused £400 wiring damage to my cousins car (Citroën Xsara Picasso).