DSG Gearbox help

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jalapeno Wolf
New
Drives: AW GTI+

DSG Gearbox help

Post by Jalapeno Wolf »

Just wondering exactly how to use the DSG gearbox! Never had one before. Questions:

1. If I knock the lever over, it allows the manual lever mode to be used forward up, back down. Does the lever need to be over to use the steering wheel paddles?

2. If I pull the lever back into S (sport) mode, the gears show as S rather than D. Does this action just adjust the gears only, or does it put the car into full sport mode?

3. When parking the car and putting the lever into P. Is it necessary to put the handbrake on too (when on the flat) or not?

TIA
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Re: DSG Gearbox help

Post by stuartrendall »

Jalapeno Wolf wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 pm Just wondering exactly how to use the DSG gearbox! Never had one before. Questions:

1. If I knock the lever over, it allows the manual lever mode to be used forward up, back down. Does the lever need to be over to use the steering wheel paddles?

2. If I pull the lever back into S (sport) mode, the gears show as S rather than D. Does this action just adjust the gears only, or does it put the car into full sport mode?

3. When parking the car and putting the lever into P. Is it necessary to put the handbrake on too (when on the flat) or not?

TIA
1. The lever needs to be left to keep using the paddles but you can use them with the lever in D but it will go back to automatic after a a few seconds or so. Good for dropping a few gears and going for an overtake (pesky cyclists).

2. By pulling the lever back it just adjust the gear box, and makes it more sporty, holding onto gears etc.

3. Not really sure if you have to but probably best practice to always put the handbrake on.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Jalapeno Wolf wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 pm Just wondering exactly how to use the DSG gearbox! Never had one before. Questions:

TIA
1. You can use the paddles to go up and down without putting the lever to the left. However, throttle input (from your right foot) overrides the paddles - if you are in 6th at 50mph and use the left paddle, the car will go down to 5th. If you stomp the throttle, the car will override the paddles and drop to 2nd. This overriding doesn't happen with the lever to the left. If your lever is in the normal position and you use the paddles, it goes from D or S to M It'll revert back to D or S after about 20 seconds. It doesn't revert with the gear lever to the left.

2. S mode holds the gears longer before changing up. Sporty but bad for fuel economy. Leave it in D unless you want yo put your foot down.

3. Put the handbrake on when finished. P engages a pin but shouldn't be relied upon to hold the car on its own.
fran_92
New
Drives: Polo GTI 200hp

Post by fran_92 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 am

TIA
1. You can use the paddles to go up and down without putting the lever to the left. However, throttle input (from your right foot) overrides the paddles - if you are in 6th at 50mph and use the left paddle, the car will go down to 5th. If you stomp the throttle, the car will override the paddles and drop to 2nd. This overriding doesn't happen with the lever to the left. If your lever is in the normal position and you use the paddles, it goes from D or S to M It'll revert back to D or S after about 20 seconds. It doesn't revert with the gear lever to the left.

2. S mode holds the gears longer before changing up. Sporty but bad for fuel economy. Leave it in D unless you want yo put your foot down.

3. Put the handbrake on when finished. P engages a pin but shouldn't be relied upon to hold the car on its own.
When you stop the car, ALWAYS put the handbrake first and after put the lever in P. If you don't do that, you can broke the pin of the gearbox and it is a very expensive repair. It is better that the car "rest" on the handbrake than on the pin of the gearbox.

When you take the car again to continue your trip, you have to put the lever in D and after release the handbrake.
Last edited by fran_92 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

fran_92 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am

TIA

When you stop the car, ALWAYS put the handbrake first and after put the lever in P. If you don't do that, you can broke the pin of the gearbox and it is a very expensive repair. It is better that the car "rest" on the handbrake than on the pin of the gearbox.

When you take the car again to continue your trip, you have to put the lever in P and after to release the handbrake.
Never knew about this. Since I've owned the car I've always done gearbox to P then handbrake. :|
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I think with modern cars now you are highly likely to not snap the bolt that holds the gearbox in place. I personally wouldn't worry about that. Unlikely to happen unless your car is hit with speed while parked. At work we have done a lot of work with Bentley Bentaygas and we disconnect the battery thus meaning the electronic handbrake doesn't work so Bentley provide a red key that is inserted under the drivers carpet and pushes the gearbox onto park manually. They wouldn't have this if the pin could snap. Obviously this should never be abused though.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:14 pm I think with modern cars now you are highly likely to not snap the bolt that holds the gearbox in place. I personally wouldn't worry about that. Unlikely to happen unless your car is hit with speed while parked. At work we have done a lot of work with Bentley Bentaygas and we disconnect the battery thus meaning the electronic handbrake doesn't work so Bentley provide a red key that is inserted under the drivers carpet and pushes the gearbox onto park manually. They wouldn't have this if the pin could snap. Obviously this should never be abused though.
If I had DSG, I think I’d use the handbrake for all parking conditions, other than when I’m parked up in my garage at home. If I’ve just washed / dried my car and I put it in the garage, if I then apply the handbrake, it usually results in the brake pads sticking to the rear discs, so leaving the handbrake off stops this happening.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

stuartrendall wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:14 pm I think with modern cars now you are highly likely to not snap the bolt that holds the gearbox in place. I personally wouldn't worry about that. Unlikely to happen unless your car is hit with speed while parked. At work we have done a lot of work with Bentley Bentaygas and we disconnect the battery thus meaning the electronic handbrake doesn't work so Bentley provide a red key that is inserted under the drivers carpet and pushes the gearbox onto park manually. They wouldn't have this if the pin could snap. Obviously this should never be abused though.
I bet the Bentley pin on the beefier gearbox is better than the VW pin.

Either way, VW provided a handbrake for parking, so it should be used unless there's a compelling reason not to (long term storage of the car, changing the rear discs/pads etc. Now there's hillhold, you only ever need apply it when you've reached your destination.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I always use my hand brake more out of habit. Plus it stops the handbrake from seizing up.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

S_94 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:02 am
fran_92 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 am

When you take the car again to continue your trip, you have to put the lever in P and after to release the handbrake.
Never knew about this. Since I've owned the car I've always done gearbox to P then handbrake. :|
Ditto S_94
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

On the subject of the DSG gearbox. Has anyone else noticed occasionally when you but the car from drive to park you can here the gearbox clunk.

And also does the latest DSG gearbox need it’s oil change every 40,000 miles.
Jalapeno Wolf
New
Drives: AW GTI+

Post by Jalapeno Wolf »

Thank you to everyone for all your replies. Really useful and appreciated.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:31 am On the subject of the DSG gearbox. Has anyone else noticed occasionally when you but the car from drive to park you can here the gearbox clunk.

No clunk on the wife's 2019 model or the 2018 model i've just swapped out for 7 speed DSG (the wet clutch, not dry clutch) A4 190 TDI. Not supposed to clunk, but for those that do but otherwise work fine, the dealership probably won't touch it.

Every 40k miles for the wet clutch DSG box fluid change. That's to get rid of the clutch material that wears away and swims around in the fluid until the filter captures it. You can do it yourself, but the kit costs about £110 vs £175 at the dealers, and you'll have to buy a pump to transfer the fluid to the gearbox (can be done without but it's a PITA without and have VCDS/OBD11.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:31 am On the subject of the DSG gearbox. Has anyone else noticed occasionally when you but the car from drive to park you can here the gearbox clunk.

No clunk on the wife's 2019 model or the 2018 model i've just swapped out for 7 speed DSG (the wet clutch, not dry clutch) A4 190 TDI. Not supposed to clunk, but for those that do but otherwise work fine, the dealership probably won't touch it.

Every 40k miles for the wet clutch DSG box fluid change. That's to get rid of the clutch material that wears away and swims around in the fluid until the filter captures it. You can do it yourself, but the kit costs about £110 vs £175 at the dealers, and you'll have to buy a pump to transfer the fluid to the gearbox (can be done without but it's a PITA without and have VCDS/OBD11.
I’m not overly concerned about the clunking when putting the car in to park from drive but I will mention it when it got in for a service other from that it runs fine. Funny thing is I only noticed it since it’s been really warm so don’t know if there any connection to that.