Stone chips on Alloy wheels

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Stone chips on Alloy wheels

Post by Steve_2019 »

Anyone else notice how easy their alloy wheels suffers from stone chips.

My Polo only done 6000 miles and and got about 3 stone chips in 2 of my alloys. Never noticed it before on other cars I’ve had.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Stone chips on Alloy wheels

Post by SRGTD »

Diamond cut or powder coated / painted?
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:38 pm Diamond cut or powder coated / painted?
I got the SEL trim so they are painted.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Any stone chips are annoying - whether it’s windscreen, bodywork or wheels, but unfortunately they’re an inevitable consequence of owning and driving a car.

If you’ve got the darker coloured (Dark Adamantium) wheels, then it might just be that you notice stone chips more as the powder coat base layer is likely to be a very light colour.

However, the condition and state of the roads in the UK will be a big factor in how badly stone chipped your alloys become. There’s probably less money spent by local authorities on road maintenance and upkeep these days than there was a few years ago and roads are often resurfaced by surface dressing with a layer of loose chippings. The loose chippings method of road surfacing isn’t a great if you want to keep your wheels free of stone chips.

I’ve got a set of anthracite grey coloured powder coated / painted alloys on my car. I’ve had them on the car for just over four years and they’ve held up well against stone chips; I’ve only picked up a couple of chips which were easily repaired with a paint touch up pen.

Whenever I get a new car or a new set of wheels, one of the first things I buy (sometimes even before I get the car) is some touch up paint for bodywork and wheels as it’s inevitable that a car used as a daily driver is going to pick up stone chips, and I like to be prepared! I check my wheels and bodywork over for any new stone chips when I clean the car and repairing them becomes part of the car cleaning process 🙂.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 pm Any stone chips are annoying - whether it’s windscreen, bodywork or wheels, but unfortunately they’re an inevitable consequence of owning and driving a car.

If you’ve got the darker coloured (Dark Adamantium) wheels, then it might just be that you notice stone chips more as the powder coat base layer is likely to be a very light colour.

However, the condition and state of the roads in the UK will be a big factor in how badly stone chipped your alloys become. There’s probably less money spent by local authorities on road maintenance and upkeep these days than there was a few years ago and roads are often resurfaced by surface dressing with a layer of loose chippings. The loose chippings method of road surfacing isn’t a great if you want to keep your wheels free of stone chips.

I’ve got a set of anthracite grey coloured powder coated / painted alloys on my car. I’ve had them on the car for just over four years and they’ve held up well against stone chips; I’ve only picked up a couple of chips which were easily repaired with a paint touch up pen.

Whenever I get a new car or a new set of wheels, one of the first things I buy (sometimes even before I get the car) is some touch up paint for bodywork and wheels as it’s inevitable that a car used as a daily driver is going to pick up stone chips, and I like to be prepared! I check my wheels and bodywork over for any new stone chips when I clean the car and repairing them becomes part of the car cleaning process 🙂.
Some good advice. I need get myself a touch up pen for my alloys.

Been a PCP car need keep it in reasonable condition just in case I do decide to hand it back too the finance company at end of the term.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Steve_2019 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 am
SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 pm Any stone chips are annoying - whether it’s windscreen, bodywork or wheels, but unfortunately they’re an inevitable consequence of owning and driving a car.

Some good advice. I need get myself a touch up pen for my alloys.

Been a PCP car need keep it in reasonable condition just in case I do decide to hand it back too the finance company at end of the term.
They won't penalise you for a few stone chips. Modern water based paints aren't particularly hard wearing and the coat thickness seems to be getting thinner all the time.