Quirks & Features

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Quirks & Features

Post by MattHGR »

mjsaville wrote:The car wont lock if the ignition is on...
From the factory the car doesn't allow it.
If you come to a stop in your car and stop/start kicks in, you can actually get out of your car and lock it. The car powers off and the doors lock.

If you'd prefer the ability to lock the car with ignition or engine on, then an adaptation needs to be made in the car.
You can do it through OBDEleven or VCDS.

OBDEleven has an app you can use to do this, so it's a really simple mod if you have the dongle.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

On the subject of OBDeleven , I bought one this week! Now I have a pulsating stop/start button!!! Managed to switch off the ridiculous soundaktor thingy , but the reason I wanted the thing to do mostly was disable the auto stop system , so using the app on the device this should be possible, ( I thought it had done it for a couple of hours ,but the car has gone back to “normal” )
I know it’s not a big deal to press a button every time you start ,To disable it but it would be nice not to , Has anyone else had this problem?
Also the apps in the device include one to show A/C fan setting when in auto mode ( climatronic ) , couldn’t get this one to do anything!!
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Mike222 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 am On the subject of OBDeleven , I bought one this week! Now I have a pulsating stop/start button!!! Managed to switch off the ridiculous soundaktor thingy , but the reason I wanted the thing to do mostly was disable the auto stop system , so using the app on the device this should be possible, ( I thought it had done it for a couple of hours ,but the car has gone back to “normal” )
I know it’s not a big deal to press a button every time you start ,To disable it but it would be nice not to , Has anyone else had this problem?
Also the apps in the device include one to show A/C fan setting when in auto mode ( climatronic ) , couldn’t get this one to do anything!!
Sadly Some of the apps don’t work, best thing to do is save your credits and use the pro licence and figure out how to do the adaptation/ long Coding Yourself, it isn’t too difficult. But be careful & check each adaptation you make to see if it works correctly before you move on if it doesn’t work go back and undo The adaptations/ coding to the original settings.

Here’s a list of codes I’ve used most of them work on the polo aw1, you can find other codes on forum’s and you tube.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMSDN_ ... LTO5l/view
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

Thanks for that, will give the stop start one a try
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

MattHGR wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:48 am
If you come to a stop in your car and stop/start kicks in, you can actually get out of your car and lock it. The car powers off and the doors lock.

If you'd prefer the ability to lock the car with ignition or engine on, then an adaptation needs to be made in the car.

OBDEleven has an app you can use to do this, so it's a really simple mod if you have the dongle.

I've been a vcds user for the last 10 years, just bought a hex-v2 as the old cable no longer cuts it with the newer cars / modules. Ross Tech are brilliant though...

I plan to have a bit of a dig about with cable tomorrow, seat belt chime first on the list of changes :o
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mjsaville wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 pm
MattHGR wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:48 am

I've been a vcds user for the last 10 years, just bought a hex-v2 as the old cable no longer cuts it with the newer cars / modules. Ross Tech are brilliant though...

I plan to have a bit of a dig about with cable tomorrow, seat belt chime first on the list of changes :o
How much was the new cable? The old ones used to be about £230!!!

OBD Eleven does everything VCDS can do and is much cheaper. Paid £38 for the plug in and about £21 for the pro license that lets you long code, scan for faults in all the modules, interrogate stored data in all modules etc and do app coding if you want to buy or accumulate free credit (6 credits a day for watching a few 20-30 second adverts).

Have done nowt with the wife's Polo GTI+ yet except scan for faults (only one is her disconnected soundaktor - will reconnect and turn it off).

Done lots with the Audi A4 though - read lots of data on DPF loading, activated high beam assist, activated lane assist, beep on locking, fully automated electronic brake, climate control remembering recirc status after ignition cycle and a few other things.
mjsaville
Getting There!

Post by mjsaville »

Got the new hex-net v2 from Gendan in Wales, went for the 10 vin version £299 but do like vcds so happy to pay the money to keep Ross Tech going. Will likely sell the old HEX+CAN cable via eBay in a couple of weeks unless someone approaches me.

I've done, seat belt chime, bleep on lock so far.... will try needle sweep but I think some have said cannot be done with the digital dash.

Used to have Audi S5 B8.5 and enabled lap timer + battery meter not sure if you can still do that with your newer generation of A4.

I've got a couple of mods planned, will update the forum when I get them done likely later this week.

Just noticed there's a stone chip on the near side rear red brake caliper (Bugger). Does anyone know if vw sell touch up paint for it?

Cheers

MJ
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mjsaville wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:20 pm Just noticed there's a stone chip on the near side rear red brake caliper (Bugger). Does anyone know if vw sell touch up paint for it?

Cheers

MJ
Not sure if VW sell it, but I bought some off eBay a few years ago to touch in a paint chip on the front nearside caliper on my current car. It was a perfect match, colour-wise.

As it’s late and the paint’s in my garage, I’ll post up details tomorrow.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:53 pm
mjsaville wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:20 pm Just noticed there's a stone chip on the near side rear red brake caliper (Bugger). Does anyone know if vw sell touch up paint for it?

Cheers

MJ
Not sure if VW sell it, but I bought some off eBay a few years ago to touch in a paint chip on the front nearside caliper on my current car. It was a perfect match, colour-wise.

As it’s late and the paint’s in my garage, I’ll post up details tomorrow.
@mjsaville; this is the brake caliper paint I bought;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-G ... 41abcdfecd
44306BEE-7388-4CCE-AA88-B1285EC5B1CA.jpeg
44306BEE-7388-4CCE-AA88-B1285EC5B1CA.jpeg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
The link no longer works, but in the link it’s described as Volkswagen-GTI-Red-Caliper-Paint-OE-Colour-Tornado-Red-Golf-Polo.

Tornado Red is VW’s solid red paint colour used on the Golf GTI.

So I’d say if you can get any Tornado Red (or similar) high temp paint it would be OK. If it’s only a small paint chip, then even if the colour’s not a 100% match its unlikely to be noticed.
mjsaville
Getting There!

Post by mjsaville »

@SRGTD - thanks for posting the info and picture on this, superb !! :D :D

I have to agree with you (due to the size of the chip) pretty much any blood red should do the job as long as its High Temp paint, that is good advice. I just assumed Volkswagen would make a touch-up stick but there you go.

I've been digging through ebay and I'll get a small can of something. Great advice though, thanks again,

MJ
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

Was bored during lockdown and found myself reading the manual one evening so I wasn't staring at a screen. Discovered a handy feature with the adaptive cruise. You can use the RES button to hold the car stopped for longer without touching the brake.

Scenario - Adaptive cruise is enabled and the car slows to a stop, you put your foot on the foot brake. When you lift your foot off the brake, the car will hold itself for a second or two before the red brake symbol appears and then it sounds an alarm and releases the brake. You can extend the time it holds the car on the brake by clicking the RES button. It only gives you about an extra second or two but you can keep pressing it indefinitely.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

If you press once and then press and hold the unlock button and keep it pressed in all of the windows will open until you let go of the button. To put them back up you press once and then press and hold the lock button and they go up until you let go. This did not work on my mates Beats model, but it works on my SEL.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 pm If you press once and then press and hold the unlock button and keep it pressed in all of the windows will open until you let go of the button. To put them back up you press once and then press and hold the lock button and they go up until you let go. This did not work on my mates Beats model, but it works on my SEL.
Loads of cars do this.
It's one of those things I always check a car can do but, conversely, have never found any practical reason to use it in any of them. :lol:
My Beats did do it, so does my GTi.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 pm If you press once and then press and hold the unlock button and keep it pressed in all of the windows will open until you let go of the button. To put them back up you press once and then press and hold the lock button and they go up until you let go. This did not work on my mates Beats model, but it works on my SEL.
Also works if you have a sun roof equipped.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 pm
Loads of cars do this.
It's one of those things I always check a car can do but, conversely, have never found any practical reason to use it in any of them. :lol:
My Beats did do it, so does my GTi.
It is very handy on a scorching summers day ( June 6th 2021 in Scotland🤣🤣) if car parked up in supermarket car park as you approach open all the windows and once you have unloaded shopping into boot car is relatvely cool inside.