New mid range United spec

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

New mid range United spec

Post by Simonz »

Spotted this - a new spec above Match with extra kit, some nice new features missing on the SE / Match but the name sounds a bit naff.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3528 ... roc-models
ShockingIce
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: New mid range United spec

Post by ShockingIce »

Simonz wrote:Spotted this - a new spec above Match with extra kit, some nice new features missing on the SE / Match but the name sounds a bit naff.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3528 ... roc-models
This is already on the configuration! I saw it the other day. Doesn’t look to bad tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BootsOnBallast
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by BootsOnBallast »

the mrs is desperate for a polo, looks like a good spec.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

BootsOnBallast wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm the mrs is desperate for a polo, looks like a good spec.
The stainless steel pedals are nice 8)
shaunrazer
New
Drives: Beats 1.0 TSI

Post by shaunrazer »

They are! Part number and/or price?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

My Mrs is looking at this as she loves the Atlantic blue you can get this in as well. Just depends when they’re available as she won’t wait for it to be built like I’m waiting for mine. She always orders from uk stock due to a lack of patience!
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

My Mrs has ordered one today in WhiteSilver. We'll take this with a pinch of salt but allegedly end of September arrival...
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

BootsOnBallast wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 pm My Mrs has ordered one today in WhiteSilver. We'll take this with a pinch of salt but allegedly end of September arrival...
That does sound a little optimistic, bearing in mind transit from the factory is around eight weeks. Unless there was already one in the system that the dealer was able to grab for you.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 pm
BootsOnBallast wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 pm My Mrs has ordered one today in WhiteSilver. We'll take this with a pinch of salt but allegedly end of September arrival...
That does sound a little optimistic, bearing in mind transit from the factory is around eight weeks. Unless there was already one in the system that the dealer was able to grab for you.
For end of Sept delivery, it'll need to be getting built in the next week or so and not hang around at Emden or the designated UK port of arrival. 5 weeks to Emden is just about possible if the car pretty much gets straight onto an Emden bound ship.
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

Yea... I smiled politely and agreed as the Mrs got all gushy over the thought of getting a factory built new model in a month or two.

What I didn’t know is that it’s a model introduced to compliment some football championship (I know nothing, nothing at all about football). They’re expecting them to be popular and have ordered stock cars.

But like I said, pinch of salt.
silversurfer2020
New
Drives: Polo United 1.0 TSI 95 DSG

Post by silversurfer2020 »

Hi, my first posting. I ordered one of these for my wife (with her approval) early September and it arrived two weeks ago. The only extras we ordered were white paint + DSG automatic transmission. We are both getting on a bit and this was to replace an 8 year old manual Fabia diesel which was starting to get unreliable like new injectors at £500 each! We were also moving house to an area where we would be doing more short journeys, not suitable for a diesel car. We are both getting bad backs so that's why we chose the automatic. Did a lot of research and liked the idea of the dual gear shafts and the separate clutches. Liked the fact that it's almost as fast as the manual and probably more economical. Still running it in but went on a 80 mile round trip to Ludlow, mixture of motorways plus twisty country roads. I got 57 mpg going and my wife got 62 mpg coming back, only about 10 mpg worse than our diesel. We are really pleased with car, comfortable and quiet and fast enough for us. The 7 speed DSG is interesting, the first gear is just a crawler gear, very low geared ideal for creeping along in traffic or when parking without any throttle. I think VW designed it that way so there would be very little clutch slip (and wear) so that the clutch could bite straight away to start the car in motion. We find if you wait a couple of seconds after lifting off the brake so that the car just starts to inch forward then you can put your foot on the gas and swiftly move away without any clonking noise. You just learn to adjust your driving style at junctions to lift your foot off the brake a couple of second before you want to move off. Similarly the reverse gear is very low geared as well so you can reverse slowly just on the tickover. Our Fabia reversed so quickly on tickover you had to dip the clutch to slow it down. The 7th gear is more of an overdrive ratio about 30 mph per 1000 revs so only doing about 2300 rpm at 70 mph. I also like that on gentle slopes at cruising speeds the car will coast and the revs drop to a 1000 rpm tick-over speed. Instead of the display screen showing say D3 or D5 when it is coasting it just shows D. The automatic is very clever it will not let you coast down a steep hill but keeps you in gear. I was surprised to find that it gave quite a bit of engine braking of its own volition. We did not have to put the gearbox into manual mode but a couple of times did switch to sports mode which made it drop down at least one gear. Well, we are obviously pleased with the DSG box but what about the rest of the car?
Well we picked this United model because it had a load of extras in with the price. We have had heated seats on our cars for the last 30 years and often we had had to pay £200 - £300 extra for them, this model has them as standard. I hate paying out for extras you never get that money back when you sell. DSG might be an exception, probably get at lest a few hundred extra when we sell.The car feels a lot bigger than our fabia although it is only 2 inches longer and 4 inches wide than our Fabia. The front seats are noticeably wider than the Fabia seats and both seats are adjustable for height and lumbar support. The only thing we might have like would have been a centre armrest. We are still getting to grip with all the gizmos but made a start and got our phones set up with bluetooth so we can answer call hands free. To drive the car is a dream, it feels more like the ride and calmness you would get in a larger more expensive car. The only thing I preferrd on our old Skoda was the way the back seats folded. Both squabs lifted up separately and then the seats backs folded down to give quite a large flat load area. On the Polo just the seat backs fold and they are still at quite a slope.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

BootsOnBallast wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:59 pm
What I didn’t know is that it’s a model introduced to compliment some football championship (I know nothing, nothing at all about football).

Not sure this is true, can't find any reference to that at all.
Press release say it follows a United model that was launched in Germany in January, and United has no football connotations in Germany.
I think people have made the link to bloody Man Utd here and decided that's what it must be.
And it's also the reason I'd never, ever, have one. :D
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Don't think there's a footie connection, it's just the name VW came up with for the model. Like I still don't get why most higher end to top end VW models are named 'Match' or 'Match Edition', VW entusiasts know what it means but LX, De Luxe, 'Super Duper Mega Cool Brilliant Spec' (!) or similar would be more instantly clearer (more clear?).

All the best to everyone, BTW :D ....
Last edited by stevereeves on Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Merry Christmas all.

According to my dealer when we picked ours up months ago, it was originally meant to have been released during Euro 2020 as a United we stand sort of thing.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Oh I see, makes a bit more sense....