The Great Tyre Debate

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: The Great Tyre Debate

Post by monkeyhanger »

To the OP:

If Costco guy thinks your tyres may rub in the arches it'll be because your arch liner isn't sitting right - it's generally rear drivers side wheel arch liner that is kicked out a bit. Easy to adjust. Wheels won't rub on any other components, lock to lock or fully laden.

Although they're 10mm wider, the back face is only 5mm closer to the wheel arch liner. As usual, Costco thoroughly cover their arses for any liability in an overstated American way.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BootsOnBallast
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by BootsOnBallast »

Given what everyone has said I decided to have a closer look at the car before I left for a work today. As MonkeyHangar says, the wheel liners protrude on both sides at the rear, with the drivers side being worse. I can barely get a single finger between the tyre as it sits at the minute.
I’ll need to find a way of adjusting it.

Once I’ve done that I reckon I’ll be good to go.
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

If I get a chance this weekend I will remove the rear wheel on the drivers side and see how the liner is held in place. I'm hoping it's just simple clips which just need to be removed and re-seated.

For me, I'm interested in the 225 width to provide extra grip / traction with 200ps going through the front wheels.

Cheers

MJ
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mjsaville wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:35 pm If I get a chance this weekend I will remove the rear wheel on the drivers side and see how the liner is held in place. I'm hoping it's just simple clips which just need to be removed and re-seated.

For me, I'm interested in the 225 width to provide extra grip / traction with 200ps going through the front wheels.

Cheers

MJ
there's about 5 torx screws that screw through some cut slots. You need to slacken off the screws push the liner away where it's bowed out and retighten. In extreme bowing you might need to unscrew altogether, pierce the liner in a slightly different place, maybe 1/2" forward of the slotted hole and screw back in through the new hole. That's what I had to do with my rear drivers side liner. Rear passenger side was well pulled in.

I didn't have to get the wheel off to adjust the liner.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

To those running the 225 Michelins, what tyres pressures are they set to?
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

PhilArnold wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 pm To those running the 225 Michelins, what tyres pressures are they set to?
36psi front & 33psi on the back
Last edited by S_94 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

S_94 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 pm
PhilArnold wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 pm To those running the 225 Michelins, what tyres pressures are they set to?
33psi front & 36psi on the back
Forgive my ignorance, arent the front tyres supposed to be pressured higher than rear?
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm
Forgive my ignorance, arent the front tyres supposed to be pressured higher than rear?
Yep! Other way around, been a long day. :lol:
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

S_94 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:55 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Yep! Other way around, been a long day. :lol:
No worries at least its Friday today :P
mjsaville
Getting There!

Post by mjsaville »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 pm
mjsaville wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:35 pm If I get a chance this weekend I will remove the rear wheel on the drivers side and see how the liner is held in place. I'm hoping it's just simple clips which just need to be removed and re-seated.

Cheers

MJ
there's about 5 torx screws that screw through some cut slots. You need to slacken off the screws push the liner away where it's bowed out and retighten. In extreme bowing you might need to unscrew altogether, pierce the liner in a slightly different place, maybe 1/2" forward of the slotted hole and screw back in through the new hole. That's what I had to do with my rear drivers side liner. Rear passenger side was well pulled in.

I didn't have to get the wheel off to adjust the liner.
Superb Mr Monkey Hanger, thanks for the info!! Now I know what to expect.

MJ
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I'm sure there are pics in a thread somewhere of what I did. It will be back in Oct/Nov 18. It's an easy fix.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

I suspect the 225's will be fine, we are talking a small possibility of coming into contact with a plastic liner which isn't a major issue, you would hear something audible if it did happen. Is there any reason people prefer to use Costco for the fitting if they take the line on refusing to upsize the tyres? Wouldn't an independent tyre fitter be better? (Unless the Costco deal on buying them at discount includes fitting?)
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

Costco offer an £80 discount on 4 tyres. Someone else has said it but they generally take care of the car and the wheels.

The tech's issue with my car was specifically the space available inside the rear drivers arch, which strangely enough is exactly what MonkeyHanger was referring to. When I've gone to check this myself there is an issue. I'm hoping to fix it myself over the weekend.
mjsaville
Getting There!

Post by mjsaville »

I've just removed the offside (Drivers) rear wheel, the wheel well lining is slightly bowed but not that bad - although I have nothing to compare against really !!. I have reseated the torx screws as shown in the pictures below circled in green. There is also a clip which goes underneath the car towards where the petrol tank is (difficult to show - pic 3 (Left green circle)).

Note: The circle in red pic 2 - which shows a cable which has become disconnected (I guess during transit), which I easily clipped back into place.

I have now ordered 4 x Michelin PS4s - 225's from Black Circles - 15% for NHS Workers which is great. I havent had time to look at the rear left side, will do tomorrow morning.

cheers

MJ
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

mjsaville wrote:I've just removed the offside (Drivers) rear wheel, the wheel well lining is slightly bowed but not that bad - although I have nothing to compare against really !!. I have reseated the torx screws as shown in the pictures below circled in green. There is also a clip which goes underneath the car towards where the petrol tank is (difficult to show - pic 3 (Left green circle)).

Note: The circle in red pic 2 - which shows a cable which has become disconnected (I guess during transit), which I easily clipped back into place.

I have now ordered 4 x Michelin PS4s - 225's from Black Circles - 15% for NHS Workers which is great. I havent had time to look at the rear left side, will do tomorrow morning.

cheers

MJ
The cable that became unplugged, it could be the cable to your headlight levelling unit at the back ? It sits on the suspension and adjusts the headlight angle depending on how loaded the car is.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk