The Great Tyre Debate

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: The Great Tyre Debate

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 pm
green justin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:22 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:27 pm Today I had 4x 225/40/18 Michelin PS4 tyres fitted and can tell the difference IMMEDIATLEY. Road noise is seriously a thing of the past and seems to wheel spin (tramp) much less than before, especially while cornering. Thankfully, the tyres fitted perfectly with no rubbing or scuffing of any sort. The only downside I guess is the price but can happily recommend them. Here is SA 4 of the above fitted, balanced, and aligned set me back R3095.00 per tyre, or 140 BP.
In SA, they are just too expensive!
But well worth it mate. Had the new PS4s on for a week or so and can say it has truly transformed the overall driving experience while road noise is a thing of the past. The car used to tramp heavily when pulling away from the traffic lights but cant say its happened since fitting the PS 4s.

The only part I am dreading however will be fitting replacements every year to 18 months :P
And also be aware that diamond cut alloys are easily damaged when tyres are removed and fitted - by poorly maintained tyre changing equipment and / or inexperienced tyre fitters. So check your wheels carefully and agree their condition with the tyre fitting place you use before they fit new tyres.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:57 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 pm
green justin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:22 pm
And also be aware that diamond cut alloys are easily damaged when tyres are removed and fitted - by poorly maintained tyre changing equipment and / or inexperienced tyre fitters. So check your wheels carefully and agree their condition with the tyre fitting place you use before they fit new tyres.
Agree 100%. While fitting the new tyres the service agents struggled fitting one of the tyres resorting to "tough guy" tactics to get it to fit. I watched every step and happy to confirm it all turned out ok although I was honestly quite concerned.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

[quote=SRGTD post_id=574804 time=1598907477 user_id=22543]
[/quote]

I can second this. My original Diamond cut 17's were damaged around the edge of the diamond cut face when swapping them our for aftermarket alloys. Luckily after a while they agreed to replace them after a while of arguments.
Attachments
20200901_072216.jpg
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Evening all,

Apologies for bumping an old thread!

I normally run my tyres at 36psi (front) & 33psi (back). 99% of the time it's just me in the car.

On Saturday I'll be doing a trip to London with 3 other passengers. Do you think it would be a good idea to increase the tyre pressure? And if so what would you recommend?

Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

I have them at 39 en 38 psi, with me at 58 kg most of the time alone in the GTI (17 inch)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 pm Evening all,

Apologies for bumping an old thread!

I normally run my tyres at 36psi (front) & 33psi (back). 99% of the time it's just me in the car.

On Saturday I'll be doing a trip to London with 3 other passengers. Do you think it would be a good idea to increase the tyre pressure? And if so what would you recommend?

I’d increase the tyre pressure for a fully laden car. I’d probably add the difference shown on car’s tyre pressure sticker for two passengers + luggage and four passengers + luggage.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks both! :)
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Bump:
I’ve just had a set of 4 x 225 PS4’s fitted today for £394.80 and I was informed that Michelin are running a promo for cashback or a prepaid MasterCard of £20 if you buy 2 tyres and £50 for 4 tyres fitted to 17”&18” rims. The promo is valid until the end of May, all you have to do is upload a copy of the sales invoice to http://car-offers.michelin.co.uk
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:38 pm Bump:
I’ve just had a set of 4 x 225 PS4’s fitted today for £394.80 and I was informed that Michelin are running a promo for cashback or a prepaid MasterCard of £20 if you buy 2 tyres and £50 for 4 tyres fitted to 17”&18” rims. The promo is valid until the end of May, all you have to do is upload a copy of the sales invoice to http://car-offers.michelin.co.uk
It’s also always worth checking out Blackcircles for Michelin tyres (Blackcircles are owned by Michelin). They seem to run regular money off promotions on Michelin Tyres. Their current offer is 15% off two or more tyres, so if buying a set of 225/40 R18 PS4’s the fitted price would be 4 x £99.99 = £399.96, less 15% = £339.96

Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

Once the £50 cash back has been factored in the 4 tyres will have cost me £344.80, so there isn’t a huge difference in prices
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I received the £50 cash back, but I discovered another thing.
Although I cannot prove it, I was washing the car today the 1st time since the tyres where fitted, and discovered that one of the front wheel studs is missing, could the tyre fitters have missed one when refitting the wheel, or has someone stolen one while it was parked up?
Either way late on a Saturday morning I needed to get a replacement, so I phoned the vw dealer who is 30 mins driver away and found out that they closed at 1pm and if I could get there in time they would have one ready to collect. So a steady driver over to the vw dealers I picked up two new studs (1 as a replacement and 1 as spare) and fitted it in the carpark, a call on the way home to the tyre fitters to ask if they had screwed up, to which they denied, and with 2 weeks elapsed I don’t have a case to argue.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:52 pm I received the £50 cash back, but I discovered another thing.
Although I cannot prove it, I was washing the car today the 1st time since the tyres where fitted, and discovered that one of the front wheel studs is missing, could the tyre fitters have missed one when refitting the wheel, or has someone stolen one while it was parked up?
Either way late on a Saturday morning I needed to get a replacement, so I phoned the vw dealer who is 30 mins driver away and found out that they closed at 1pm and if I could get there in time they would have one ready to collect. So a steady driver over to the vw dealers I picked up two new studs (1 as a replacement and 1 as spare) and fitted it in the carpark, a call on the way home to the tyre fitters to ask if they had screwed up, to which they denied, and with 2 weeks elapsed I don’t have a case to argue.
I would be surprised if someone stole just one wheel bolt - although I dare say stranger things have happened. At the same time, I’d be surprised if the tyre fitter forgot to fit one; they should manually tighten each bolt to the correct torque with a torque wrench, and I’d expect them to realise / notice while doing that if they’d forgotten to fit one.

At least you were able to get a replacement, although it’s annoying you had to do an hour’s round trip to get it.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I lost a wheel bolt a week after Costco put my michelins on. To be fair, you're supposed to have your bolts torqued up again after about 30-50 miles following fitting.
Nora
Bronze Member

Post by Nora »

I went around them all yesterday to double check that they where tightened, btw what is the correct torque setting for the wheel bolts?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:58 pm I went around them all yesterday to double check that they where tightened, btw what is the correct torque setting for the wheel bolts?
120Nm, which doesn't feel a lot when you torque up.