The Great Tyre Debate

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
BootsOnBallast
New
Drives: GTI+

The Great Tyre Debate

Post by BootsOnBallast »

I tried to avoid this, because the topic has been done and I never want to be 'that' guy but hey... here goes...

I trawled the topics reading about the potential benefits of swapping the Bridgestones out and putting the Michelin PS4s on to my 2020 GTI. I even sent a PM to Monkeyhanger who gave me the advice I was after.

Being that guy who likes to check, check and check again I spoke to VW and my insurer who were both happy to put in writing that swapping these tyres was not going to invalidate any insurance or warranties. I was quite specific with them.

So, off I went to Costco. Decision made, cash in hand.

The car was on the ramp less than 5 minutes before the tech said they couldn't fit the tyres because there would be almost zero clearance around the new sized Tyers in the arches and if I had a full boot or rear seat passengers the suspension would be under such pressure that rubbing between the tyre and the inside of the arches would occur.

He got me to put my hands between the inside of the tyre and the arch... to be fair I saw his point there's little clearance as it is. But my car can't be any different from those who have already done this.

So, where have I gone wrong?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: The Great Tyre Debate

Post by SRGTD »

See the last post on page 16 of the tread at the link below;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=225
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

Thanks for the reply.

Can you add or advise re the part where they say the wheels will rub when under load etc... ?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I can only assume that because of the additional 10mm in width of the tyres and the slightly larger rolling radius compared to the factory fit tyres (225/40 v’s 215/40), Costco are implying that you might experience rubbing issues.

The additional width and height of the 225/40 tyre means the tyre will be closer (albeit only slightly) to the suspension strut (Inner tyre face) and the wheel arch (outer face), plus when the suspension is compressed if you’re carrying heavy loads, the bodywork will sit lower and closer to the slightly larger tyres - hence Costco’s suggestion of ‘almost zero clearance’.

However, I think there are quite a few forum members who’ve fitted 225/40 tyres to their GTI/GTI+ and I can’t recall any of them reporting clearance or rubbing issues - perhaps some will add to this thread with their experiences.

If Costco’s policy on tyre fitting is to only fit factory spec tyres, then you’d either have to;
- take your wheels into Costco separately/off the car for the tyres to be fitted
- buy the tyres from Costco on the basis of ‘supply only’ and get them fitted elsewhere
- buy the tyres from somewhere else where they will fit them.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Hi gents I am running 225/40 on Brescia 18” without any issuesImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Absolutely no issues my end either.

Not the best picture but might give you an idea.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200729-192302.jpg
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

Thank you for the responses, I’m genuinely grateful for the help.
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

I think they may be talking about the lining next to the inside of your tyre.
I had to take my car back, because the lining (next to the suspension) in the rear driver side was pushed out. It was rubbing against the inside wall of my tyre.
VW dealership pinned it back to stop it happening.

You probably have a very similar issue and with the extra width on your new tyre, it will rub like mine did from delivery.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

We got our GTI+ today, already thinking about dong this?

If people are super worried you could always get 5mm spacers which would give you that bit extra clearance.

MJ
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

If you are so worried about the bigger tyres rubbing but still want to go Michelin route, then just get the Michelins in standard 215/40/18 size and your worries are over. Then you know they will not rub and you have a superior tyre.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

fazzy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 am If you are so worried about the bigger tyres rubbing but still want to go Michelin route, then just get the Michelins in standard 215/40/18 size and your worries are over. Then you know they will not rub and you have a superior tyre.
I think it the main issue (if not the only issue) is cost. 215/40 R18 tyres in general are quite bit more expensive than 225/40 R18’s.

In the UK, a 215/40 R18 Michelin PS4 tyre is as much as 30%-40% more expensive that the slightly larger 225/40 R18 size. If there wasn’t such a large price difference, then I dare say owners would be more than happy to get them in the original 215/40 R18 size.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 am I think it the main issue (if not the only issue) is cost. 215/40 R18 tyres in general are quite bit more expensive than 225/40 R18’s.

In the UK, a 215/40 R18 Michelin PS4 tyre is as much as 30%-40% more expensive that the slightly larger 225/40 R18 size. If there wasn’t such a large price difference, then I dare say owners would be more than happy to get them in the original 215/40 R18 size.
I fully understand.
However... when buying the car, none of us thought that we will change the tyre size because original size is too expensive... :)
Dare I say, we should be prepared for the fact that maintenance costs X amount of money and the fact that we can change the tyre size and have a larger size for a smaller amount is just a bonus.
I don't want to look into anybody's wallet, so final decision goes to the one that spends his money but I reckon if our friend's only dillema is whether the tyres will fit, maybe then original size is the way to go :) The PS4 in original size will still be far more superior than the Bridgestone.
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

Its always good to save money. I mean I love spending it but I hate paying full price for anything, or paying more than I need to. My mrs is driven nuts because I'll buy anything with a yellow sticker :lol:

The two big factors are:
I underestimated how hard the ride was with the 18" wheels. I found the 17" to be a lot nicer.
The cost of the tyres in the original size isn't the end of the world but the availability is an issue... getting a puncture miles from home with nothing in immediate stock isn't a position I want to be in.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

One of the factors of why I went for 17inch wheels and not 18 besides the ride comfort being much comfier, the tyres are much cheaper. If I was to get some 215/40/18 pilot sport 4 at my local garage it costs more than some 215/45/17 Pilot Sport Cup 2's and well they are just a much better tyre so makes no sense.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 am If you are so worried about the bigger tyres rubbing but still want to go Michelin route, then just get the Michelins in standard 215/40/18 size and your worries are over. Then you know they will not rub and you have a superior tyre.
They're about 60% more expensive.