Polo gti mods

Chat about your 2018+ AW model Polos here!
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

Hi,

So essentially im wanting to get some mods done to my 2019 polo gti. This is the opf/gpf model so is very quiet. Im not sure about what mods to get done so would love some recommendations. Mainly want more noise however ive also looked at a stage 1 remap with dsg and pops+bangs. Has anyone has a decat done whilst keeping the opf? How does it compare to a res delete? What other exhaust mods have helped increase the sound produced? Mainly wanting more pops and bangs and louder dsg farts.

Thank you all!
The Random Dan
New
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Drives: GTI+
Location: Northwich

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by The Random Dan »

I honestly don’t understand the obsession some people have with ‘pops and bangs’. Yes i agree the car needs to sound a bit meatier but the only thing adding pops and bangs does is make everyone you drive past think “what a bellend”

You’ll need to have a remap if you want to decat or you’ll throw up warning lights and cause no end of problems, also not sure how it’ll effect the OPF and it’s ability to function. Also fitting a decat will void your insurance, and if you try to declare it to them they won’t accept it as its a mod which is specificly ‘not for road use’

My advice is non resonated OPF back and a remap, maybe and induction kit to make noises upfront
phillos
Bronze Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)
Location: EU

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by phillos »

I've done the res delete on my OPF 2019 GTI, best decision I ever made. It sounds so much better now with proper DSG pops, overrun etc.

You can still hear the OPF putting a lid on things, as much of the sounds has a muted sound to it.
GTI_PLUS_TOM
New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 pm
Drives: GTI+
Location: YORK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by GTI_PLUS_TOM »

I'm really considering the Milltek non-resonated system for mine, the only thing which is stopping me is I can't find any definitive answers on drone. I imagine it isn't that intrusive, but would be nice to hear from someone who has it to confirm.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by SRGTD »

The Random Dan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 am I honestly don’t understand the obsession some people have with ‘pops and bangs’. Yes i agree the car needs to sound a bit meatier but the only thing adding pops and bangs does is make everyone you drive past think “what a bellend”

You’ll need to have a remap if you want to decat or you’ll throw up warning lights and cause no end of problems, also not sure how it’ll effect the OPF and it’s ability to function. Also fitting a decat will void your insurance, and if you try to declare it to them they won’t accept it as its a mod which is specificly ‘not for road use’

My advice is non resonated OPF back and a remap, maybe and induction kit to make noises upfront
Maybe it’s an age thing on my part, but I much prefer the combination of good performance combined with low noise levels. Never been a fan of pops and bangs or DSG farts. The combination of good performance and low profile ‘under the radar’ looks that don’t shout ‘look at me’ is what I like about the Polo GTI, and I wouldn’t want to change it to make it more shouty and get myself noticed. That’s probably just me though,

@vs_gti; bear in mind that if you’re leasing your car or if you’re buying it under a PCP and plan on handing it back at the end of the PCP term, I’m pretty certain you’ll need to return it back to factory spec when you hand it back, although you’ll need to check the small print in the lease / PCP agreement to make sure. Also, if your planning on getting a remap, you’ll be invalidating certain parts of your warranty - e.g. engine and transmission related warranty issues won’t be covered.
phillos
Bronze Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)
Location: EU

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by phillos »

GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 am I'm really considering the Milltek non-resonated system for mine, the only thing which is stopping me is I can't find any definitive answers on drone. I imagine it isn't that intrusive, but would be nice to hear from someone who has it to confirm.
OPF, Res delete, stock rear exhaust.

It does drone a bit at certain rpms when on the highway. Nothing that drives me crazy though. I very rarely do prolonged highway driving so it doesn't matter to me, but if I had to do 200km everyday I would probably get tired of it.
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

The Random Dan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 am I honestly don’t understand the obsession some people have with ‘pops and bangs’. Yes i agree the car needs to sound a bit meatier but the only thing adding pops and bangs does is make everyone you drive past think “what a bellend”

You’ll need to have a remap if you want to decat or you’ll throw up warning lights and cause no end of problems, also not sure how it’ll effect the OPF and it’s ability to function. Also fitting a decat will void your insurance, and if you try to declare it to them they won’t accept it as its a mod which is specificly ‘not for road use’

My advice is non resonated OPF back and a remap, maybe and induction kit to make noises upfront


I do understand where you’re coming, but at the same time i still feel its too quiet. I have looked at the milltek opf back system exhaust so may go ahead with that. Thank you mate
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

phillos wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:09 am I've done the res delete on my OPF 2019 GTI, best decision I ever made. It sounds so much better now with proper DSG pops, overrun etc.

You can still hear the OPF putting a lid on things, as much of the sounds has a muted sound to it.
Think i might go ahead with the res delete, cheers mate
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 am I'm really considering the Milltek non-resonated system for mine, the only thing which is stopping me is I can't find any definitive answers on drone. I imagine it isn't that intrusive, but would be nice to hear from someone who has it to confirm.
Thinking of the same system although im not sure if its non-res. I believe the non-res system if for pre-opf cars but i might be wrong. I was looking at the opf back exhaust.
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 am
The Random Dan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 am I honestly don’t understand the obsession some people have with ‘pops and bangs’. Yes i agree the car needs to sound a bit meatier but the only thing adding pops and bangs does is make everyone you drive past think “what a bellend”

You’ll need to have a remap if you want to decat or you’ll throw up warning lights and cause no end of problems, also not sure how it’ll effect the OPF and it’s ability to function. Also fitting a decat will void your insurance, and if you try to declare it to them they won’t accept it as its a mod which is specificly ‘not for road use’

My advice is non resonated OPF back and a remap, maybe and induction kit to make noises upfront
Maybe it’s an age thing on my part, but I much prefer the combination of good performance combined with low noise levels. Never been a fan of pops and bangs or DSG farts. The combination of good performance and low profile ‘under the radar’ looks that don’t shout ‘look at me’ is what I like about the Polo GTI, and I wouldn’t want to change it to make it more shouty and get myself noticed. That’s probably just me though,

@vs_gti; bear in mind that if you’re leasing your car or if you’re buying it under a PCP and plan on handing it back at the end of the PCP term, I’m pretty certain you’ll need to return it back to factory spec when you hand it back, although you’ll need to check the small print in the lease / PCP agreement to make sure. Also, if your planning on getting a remap, you’ll be invalidating certain parts of your warranty - e.g. engine and transmission related warranty issues won’t be covered.
Yeah i know mate, just means if anything goes wrong, ill have to pay for it out my own pocket but i think its worth it. The car is brilliant stock, but theres alot of potential and alot of things to do!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by stuartrendall »

vs_gti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 am
GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 am I'm really considering the Milltek non-resonated system for mine, the only thing which is stopping me is I can't find any definitive answers on drone. I imagine it isn't that intrusive, but would be nice to hear from someone who has it to confirm.
Thinking of the same system although im not sure if its non-res. I believe the non-res system if for pre-opf cars but i might be wrong. I was looking at the opf back exhaust.
This is also my plan in the coming months with the interest to have a stage 1 tune with added pops and bangs. Pops and bangs are a must for me, make the car sound much better and I have never heard another car pop and bang and think bellend. The exhaust i'll be getting is the resonated Milltek OPF back exhaust.
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

stuartrendall wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 pm
vs_gti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 am
GTI_PLUS_TOM wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:49 am I'm really considering the Milltek non-resonated system for mine, the only thing which is stopping me is I can't find any definitive answers on drone. I imagine it isn't that intrusive, but would be nice to hear from someone who has it to confirm.
Thinking of the same system although im not sure if its non-res. I believe the non-res system if for pre-opf cars but i might be wrong. I was looking at the opf back exhaust.
This is also my plan in the coming months with the interest to have a stage 1 tune with added pops and bangs. Pops and bangs are a must for me, make the car sound much better and I have never heard another car pop and bang and think bellend. The exhaust i'll be getting is the resonated Milltek OPF back exhaust.
Do you think its worth getting a res delete on the stock exhaust or do i just go straight to the milltek? Also, would love to hear yours once youve had all the work done!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by stuartrendall »

vs_gti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm
Do you think its worth getting a res delete on the stock exhaust or do i just go straight to the milltek? Also, would love to hear yours once youve had all the work done!
I think it could be worth a res delete first as it is relatively inexpensive but my route will be to go straight to a Milltek exhaust system. I have already purchased the system but need to book it in at a local Milltek authorised garage to have it fitted when I get time.
vs_gti
New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am
Drives: Gti +
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by vs_gti »

stuartrendall wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:50 pm
vs_gti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm
Do you think its worth getting a res delete on the stock exhaust or do i just go straight to the milltek? Also, would love to hear yours once youve had all the work done!
I think it could be worth a res delete first as it is relatively inexpensive but my route will be to go straight to a Milltek exhaust system. I have already purchased the system but need to book it in at a local Milltek authorised garage to have it fitted when I get time.
Yeah mate think ill start with a res delete then go from there. Dont think there will be a massive difference and especially when i get it mapped with pops and bangs, it wont sound too bad ahah
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 am
Drives: Polo GTI+
Location: UK

Re: Polo gti mods

Post by MrTomOates »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 am
The Random Dan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 am I honestly don’t understand the obsession some people have with ‘pops and bangs’. Yes i agree the car needs to sound a bit meatier but the only thing adding pops and bangs does is make everyone you drive past think “what a bellend”

You’ll need to have a remap if you want to decat or you’ll throw up warning lights and cause no end of problems, also not sure how it’ll effect the OPF and it’s ability to function. Also fitting a decat will void your insurance, and if you try to declare it to them they won’t accept it as its a mod which is specificly ‘not for road use’

My advice is non resonated OPF back and a remap, maybe and induction kit to make noises upfront
Maybe it’s an age thing on my part, but I much prefer the combination of good performance combined with low noise levels. Never been a fan of pops and bangs or DSG farts. The combination of good performance and low profile ‘under the radar’ looks that don’t shout ‘look at me’ is what I like about the Polo GTI, and I wouldn’t want to change it to make it more shouty and get myself noticed. That’s probably just me though,
These two posts are 100% me.

There's something about driving a performance car under a low profile that really makes me think, he knows his cars a monster but he doesn't need to scream about it. There's nothing more off-putting than seeing and hearing a car that's practically a football-net sized spoiler, red; blue and turquoise in colour and sounds like Guy Fawkes Night in the right-hand lane revving past you on a 30 road in prime time traffic :lol: There's many many words to describe this... :roll:

It's a matter of, if you talk the talk; can you walk the walk?
Post Reply