What options are worth the money?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Re: What options are worth the money?

Post by Boxerboy »

It’s all been said above.

We’re all different.

I could point to one post that is diametrically opposite from my preferences.

I would echo the comments that suggest loading a “base” model with lots of extras is never Value For Money.

Go for a trim level that has most of what you want to begin with. Then choose what really matters to you.

Some of us wouldn’t touch an extra that is mission critical to someone else. I’ll not list my Must Haves and Hates.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Bit of a bump- but I'm bored stuck at home as my housemate is waiting on covid test results.

I have an Ibiza Xcellence Lux which is basically fully loaded. There are a few things that it has that I absolutely wouldn't be without in the future, and some that I really couldn't care less about. There's nothing that I would turn down, but a few things that I wouldn't pay for.

The very good:
LED headlights. I drive back from work late at night fairly often due to weird shifts (I'm a doctor) so good headlamps are a must. The LEDs on my Ibiza are amazing. If I was ordering a Polo I'd tick that box before anything else.
ACC. Long motorway commutes are a million times better with ACC. It just makes it so much easier. Of course this very much depends on what kind of driving you do. I fairly regularly drive down to my parents in Wiltshire and would honestly have it just for those trips. However- on the Polo it is ridiculously overpriced at £620. It's £400 on the Fabia. The ACC was the reason why I went for the Xcellence Lux trim on the Ibiza.
Power fold mirrors. My street is narrow, I've had a mirror knocked off in the past and it wasn't cheap. Power folding is a must IMO.
Parking sensors on the back are essential, given how cheap they are now.
Light and sight pack- the auto wipers, auto dimming mirror, and better auto lights are all very nice to have.

The nice to have:
Climate control. Good having dual zone, and the panel looks nicer than regular A/C. It's definitely a nice to have though, rather than an essential.
Digital Dash. It seems like the Seat system is basically the same as the Active Info display in the Polo. It's very cool, but I don't think it's worth spending much money on. Definitely a nice to have though.
Microsuede interior. In the Polo you get heated seats, which would have been nice to have, but TBH unlike with leather, it's not a necessity. I can jump into the car in winter in shorts on my way to the gym and it's not too bad. It feels lovely though and is grippy during enthusiastic driving!

The honestly don't care about:
Navigation. I've tried using it a couple of times, it's miles behind just using Google Maps through my phone. I would never willingly pay for navigation, and it's frustrating that many vehicles you kind of have to.
Reversing camera. It's an Ibiza. You don't need a camera. It's standard fit on the Xcellence Lux, but honestly I'd rather it wasn't there and the car was cheaper.
Keyless entry. The convenience is nice, but now I have to store my key in a metal tin.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

I collect my new R Line on Tuesday morning. It’s pretty well kitted our already,

This time I dropped Climate at £420. Far too much. Went with 17s and front LEDs.

Can’t wait to get it. Not long now :D
sossidge
New
Drives: 2020 Match 95PS

Post by sossidge »

A couple of months in with the Match 95hp: would have like the auto-wipers and the ACC, but bought off allocation. Then, a week later the 'United' spec arrived.

Car does have auto-lights which are useful. Manual air-con unobtrusive. Google maps on the smartphone plugged into the head unit works fine for me, although Waze doesn't. Park pilot front and rear is excellent. Match spec has adjustable lumbar support on the drivers seat.

Very pleased with the car and spec, no more fighting for midget parking spaces with a four door sedan. :-)

Limestone grey metallic is OK, but then you see three others on the same day and wished you'd gone for orange. :-)
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

LED headlights are nice, but not sure about the expense when you can easily replicate the white light using 5000k halogen (and still completely legal) bulbs for £50 in total.
I’ve had LED lights in my Leaf and wife’s Evoque has LED, so I can make direct comparisons.
Keyless is something I miss from my Nissans (Juke and Leaf).
I’m not into waiting for cars though, I refuse to do it, so my last few cars have been stock cars and whatever is on them I take.
My Beats had the winter pack added (waste of time, never use heated seats) and my GTI has upgraded wheels.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I have got ACC and it’s very helpful! (Automatic’s even better as it stops and starts in slow traffic) all LED headlights areA cool feature and it stands out.
Reverse camera is also very helpful for me, as well as the blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert (prevented me hitting a few bollards already!) they are the ones I’ve benefited mostly.