Honest opinion - anyone else regret buying their GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Re: Honest opinion - anyone else regret buying their GTI?

Post by TheRacingRat »

I’m loving my Polo, in fact I’ve always had manual cars and the DSG is one of my favourite things about it. I have one or two build issues a creak from rear offside and a couple of rattles so am slightly disappointed with some of the build quality as never had a new car before but overall very happy. I don’t change my cars often and normally keep them for 10 years.
Alan_p71
New
Drives: 2019 Gti+

Post by Alan_p71 »

Had my gti+ nearly 6 months and 5000 miles and lovin every minute. It’s got everything I want and more power than I will ever need on the north east of Scotland’s pot holed ridden roads.
It’s as comfortable as my previous golfs with 90% of the toys so I am happy. DSG great on long drives, not so good around town, always pushing for highest gear, it’s in sixth when usually I would be in fourth but easy to drop down with paddles.
Brilliant little car👍
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:07 pm
SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:01 pm
Plend wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:52 pm There are so many small things that I took as being 'standard' on all of my previous cars that are missing on this one, things I overlooked during the buying phase as I assumed they would all be standard on a brand new car.

I think if I had this car when I was 19/20 it would be a different story though and I'm sure I wouldnt notice the annoying parts and just enjoy driving it.
What things were missing that you thought would be standard, and which parts are annoying?
Unless someone bought a GTI rather than a GTI+, I can't imagine what people would expect to have as standard that wasn't there on this class of car. It's pretty much got everything the Golf GTI has except Nav and Climate control.
Both of which aren’t needed in my opinion. The air con is every bit as good as the climate I had in my last vw and Waze is far superior to VWs sat nav, you just can’t put it on your dash. I’ve had my car two weeks, it’s fantastic. I’ve previously had a golf gti and gtd (both manuals) and the polo is pretty much as good.

I like the ST, but I couldn’t have lived with one. The car was fun to test drive but I found it too noisy, too firm and they are so easy to steal - ford cars outweigh all others when it comes to being stolen. A friend of mine who speaks to people in the car trade (we sell coolant and stuff to them) has been told multiple times that Fords have security deficiencies they’ve never fixed.
GTI Polo Fin
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Post by GTI Polo Fin »

Absolutely not.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

No regret here... :D
The Random Dan
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by The Random Dan »

Popped into my local Ford dealer today, left having ordered a new Ford with them and PX’d the Polo. Feel glad to be getting out of it and definitely won’t miss it
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

TheRacingRat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:48 pm I’m loving my Polo, in fact I’ve always had manual cars and the DSG is one of my favourite things about it. I have one or two build issues a creak from rear offside and a couple of rattles so am slightly disappointed with some of the build quality as never had a new car before but overall very happy. I don’t change my cars often and normally keep them for 10 years.
Do you reckon you be keeping your polo for the next ten years?
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

If you're after a real hot hatch, it's not the best choice. If you're after a decent daily car that also can bring some fun when revving it up, it's the perfect car. I belong to the first category and perfectly happy with it
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:40 am
TheRacingRat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:48 pm I’m loving my Polo, in fact I’ve always had manual cars and the DSG is one of my favourite things about it. I have one or two build issues a creak from rear offside and a couple of rattles so am slightly disappointed with some of the build quality as never had a new car before but overall very happy. I don’t change my cars often and normally keep them for 10 years.
I would love to but when modern cars break they are expensive to repair. I'll probably keep it for 3 - 5 years instead of the usual 2 years.
Plend
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by Plend »

lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm
SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:01 pm

What things were missing that you thought would be standard, and which parts are annoying?
Unless someone bought a GTI rather than a GTI+, I can't imagine what people would expect to have as standard that wasn't there on this class of car. It's pretty much got everything the Golf GTI has except Nav and Climate control.
Both of which aren’t needed in my opinion. The air con is every bit as good as the climate I had in my last vw and Waze is far superior to VWs sat nav, you just can’t put it on your dash. I’ve had my car two weeks, it’s fantastic. I’ve previously had a golf gti and gtd (both manuals) and the polo is pretty much as good.

I like the ST, but I couldn’t have lived with one. The car was fun to test drive but I found it too noisy, too firm and they are so easy to steal - ford cars outweigh all others when it comes to being stolen. A friend of mine who speaks to people in the car trade (we sell coolant and stuff to them) has been told multiple times that Fords have security deficiencies they’ve never fixed.
Things like in-built sat nav, auto wipers, heated seats etc.
Like I say its things that were standard on my previous cars and assumed a brand new one would have them as standard as well (obviously my own fault here)
Also the annoying things like the sounaktor (whats the point in that???), the DRLs being in the fog light area, the auto lights being very slow to activate.

Maybe its just me being pedantic, as I mentioned if I had this car as one of my first cars I probably wouldne be complaining about any of it.
Also when I went on my test drive it was in a GTI+ so I was also buying based off of that spec (i didnt know there was a GTI+ at that stage), i selected the black car from the list, never noticed it was just the GTI and the dealership didnt make any noise over the difference between the one i tested and the one i was buying.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Plend wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:13 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Things like in-built sat nav, auto wipers, heated seats etc.
Like I say its things that were standard on my previous cars and assumed a brand new one would have them as standard as well (obviously my own fault here)
Also the annoying things like the sounaktor (whats the point in that???), the DRLs being in the fog light area, the auto lights being very slow to activate.

Maybe its just me being pedantic, as I mentioned if I had this car as one of my first cars I probably wouldne be complaining about any of it.
Also when I went on my test drive it was in a GTI+ so I was also buying based off of that spec (i didnt know there was a GTI+ at that stage), i selected the black car from the list, never noticed it was just the GTI and the dealership didnt make any noise over the difference between the one i tested and the one i was buying.
So you got the Standard GTI? No wonder you're disappointed. The GTI+ is rammed with spec. It doesn't have heated seats (is there a need without leather?), satnav isn't usually standard spec in this segment.

Soundaltors are in many VAG cars, certainly all the hot hatches, including the S3/Golf R. It's a 5 min job to unplug it.

It does come with ACC, adjustable dampers, the flat bottomed multifunction steering wheel, Aircon, auto lights, auto wipers, auto-dimming rear view mirror, full LED headlights, LED DRLs in the headlights, armrest, keyless, folding wing mirrors etc.

Judging by this forum, hardly anyone buys the GTI and not the GTI+. The package is around £2900 worth of options for an additional £1700 when you buy the GTI+ instead of the GTI. You might've enjoyed the car a bit more if you'd got the +.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 am
Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:40 am
I would love to but when modern cars break they are expensive to repair. I'll probably keep it for 3 - 5 years instead of the usual 2 years.
Fair point. I intend to keep mine for another 3-4 years then convert to a electric car. But we see how they develop and cost of them come down.
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

I've had mine for 10 months and covered only 4k miles as I work from home now. It would have been closer to 8k otherwise

Anyhow, didn't love the car at all to start with.

A few build issues and warranty work (interior LED strip light failed) along with the common issues like boot not closing properly and the noisy brakes when reversing (still not fixed)

It's actually a decent car to drive on the right bit of road but I openly admit it's taken a while to accept the car for what it is

I did want an ST3 but at the time the ford dealers wanted £300+ a month. The GTI+ was cheaper and I found a model already in stock so only a 2 week wait time

In hindsight I wish I had taken the 17" wheels as the ride quality on 18s is poor. I know better tyres could help to improve that

The fuel economy is actually decent for the engine size and coming from a 2.0l Leon FR diesel has not been as bad as I thought

I do think part of the fun lost from the FR to the Polo is probably the DSG as it does take away that involvement and fun factor

The Polo is a good looking car though. Just wish the build quality was better. Maybe I will try an Audi next

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Plend
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by Plend »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:36 pm

So you got the Standard GTI? No wonder you're disappointed. The GTI+ is rammed with spec. It doesn't have heated seats (is there a need without leather?), satnav isn't usually standard spec in this segment.

Soundaltors are in many VAG cars, certainly all the hot hatches, including the S3/Golf R. It's a 5 min job to unplug it.

It does come with ACC, adjustable dampers, the flat bottomed multifunction steering wheel, Aircon, auto lights, auto wipers, auto-dimming rear view mirror, full LED headlights, LED DRLs in the headlights, armrest, keyless, folding wing mirrors etc.

Judging by this forum, hardly anyone buys the GTI and not the GTI+. The package is around £2900 worth of options for an additional £1700 when you buy the GTI+ instead of the GTI. You might've enjoyed the car a bit more if you'd got the +.
Yeap, you're probably correct. Like I say, I test drove the GTI+ without really knowing there was such a thing as the GTI+. I wrongly assumed the GTI would be the top of the range.

I have looked at making a few subtle changes to make me happier with the car, but at the end of the day I think I'm better saving the money and keeping it for the next car.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Plend wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Yeap, you're probably correct. Like I say, I test drove the GTI+ without really knowing there was such a thing as the GTI+. I wrongly assumed the GTI would be the top of the range.

I have looked at making a few subtle changes to make me happier with the car, but at the end of the day I think I'm better saving the money and keeping it for the next car.
It's probably still a decent car compared to many, if you had a 1.0 TSI it would be a massive upgrade! All depends on your reference point if you are interested in climbing the ladder of performance cars then as you say perhaps consider the next step and wherever that may lead.