Honest opinion - anyone else regret buying their GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Re: Honest opinion - anyone else regret buying their GTI?

Post by stuartrendall »

I don't regret getting my GTI+ one bit. My last car was a 1.2 2012 Polo and although only had 69hp was still very fun to drive even after crashing it twice so the upgrade from that to the new car was substantial but in my job I regularly do testing and development work on cars such as Porsche Panameras and Bentley Bentaygas and Triumph MGB GT's and I know that at a £24,000 new price point you are never going to get an insane amount of enjoyment and performance from the GTI. Even after driving these cars getting into my GTI is a blast and the only thing I would like more of is sound but I suppose that is the nature of the OPF. I'm not really sure what some people are expecting in this forum to be honest after coming from bigger golfs and Audi RS3's the Polo isn't marketed as a rivel to that car in one bit and if you want to match or surpass the excitement of those cars then buy a direct rival or upgrade.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

I love my GTI, the looks, exhaust note, the DSG paddles on a twist y road is great too, feels like f1 driving.

No regrets!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Not regretting mine and approaching 18 months of ownership.
Been out and about on work missions over the last couple of days racking up some mainly motorway and A road miles where it has been perfectly fine.
ACC is very handy in these cases.
No issue with build quality as far as I am concerned.
In the homeward journey today I popped it into sport mode for a change and opted for manual gears.
Got to a road with a few roundabouts and pushed it a bit more than usual, chucking it around a bit, mainly as everywhere was clear enough to do so, and it was great fun. I find that it is a very capable and solid car.
Having an auto box is fine by me so long as when I want to I can regain control when I like by switching into manual. I find it adds a little extra fun from time to time if I feel so inclined.
Auto box and ACC in town driving or general slow traffic situations is a god send.
Shame that Plend missed out on the + model for those very worth while extra bits.
Built in Satnav is not a necessary feature these days with the option to just plug your phone in and display the apps through Android auto, or that other fruit based manufacturer's offering.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

peeceeuk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:35 pm Not regretting mine and approaching 18 months of ownership.
Been out and about on work missions over the last couple of days racking up some mainly motorway and A road miles where it has been perfectly fine.
In the homeward journey today I popped it into sport mode for a change and opted for manual gears.
Got to a road with a few roundabouts and pushed it a bit more than usual, chucking it around a bit, mainly as everywhere was clear enough to do so, and it was great fun. I find that it is a very capable and solid car.
Having an auto box is fine by me so long as when I want to I can regain control when I like by switching into manual. I find it adds a little extra fun from time to time if I feel so inclined.
Auto box and ACC in town driving or general slow traffic situations is a god send.
Shame that Plend missed out on the + model for those very worth while extra bits.
Built in Satnav is not a necessary feature these days with the option to just plug your phone in and display the apps through Android auto, or that other fruit based manufacturer's offering.
Give waze a go. I tried it on someone’s recommendation and it’s my go to. Everyone I’ve told to try it so far has used that over android/Apple/google maps.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:53 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:35 pm Not regretting mine and approaching 18 months of ownership.
Give waze a go. I tried it on someone’s recommendation and it’s my go to. Everyone I’ve told to try it so far has used that over android/Apple/google maps.
All be it some time ago I have used it but I may check it again.
I have changed mobile device a couple of times and it must just be an app that I do not automatically install whereas Android Auto is just there.
There is nothing negative I can say about either G Maps or Waze really, they both serve enough of a purpose to make paying extra for built in Sat Nav wholly unnecessary.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

It is nice to have with digital dials, but £750 to have in front of the steering wheel is not worth it for me when gmaps and waze are so good now. Plus you have to update VWs satnav yourself
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:15 pm It is nice to have with digital dials, but £750 to have in front of the steering wheel is not worth it for me when gmaps and waze are so good now. Plus you have to update VWs satnav yourself
I’ve never had VW’s sat nav, but based on the experience of some VW owners on other forums that do have it, many experience issues updating to the latest version of the maps, which seems a bit of a faff to do.

Not something I’d ever spec when there are arguably better - and free - alternatives out there.