Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Re: Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Post by monty831 »

Had the issue from new (October 2019) and took the car back in the first few weeks - pads were removed and greased I believe. Noise stopped but came back with 2 months.

I should go back but I was told unless VW release a fix, nothing else can be done

Heard some members got offered a software update

It's a shame really but at least it's only reversing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

I don't understand how dealers seemingly struggle to fix this problem. Had it occur a few times on cars & motorcycles, drum & disc brakes, on bikes the squealing / howling / mooing could sometimes be felt through the rear brake pedal and, yes, people often looked round to see where the racket was coming from. I'm no mechanical genius, but I fixed the issue by lightly greasing the back of the pads (if a disc brake), carefully cleaning the disc or brake drum surface being very careful not to get any grease on there, and lightly rubbing the friction surface (the area that comes into contact with the drum / disc) of the pad or brake shoe on wet / dry paper (sand paper), again don't get any grease on the pads or shoes or inhale any resulting dust. Not a permanent or forever fix and a bit of a faff, but it did last many months whenever I've done it.....
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

How to fix rear brake noise is to replace the discs with groove ones and change to a different compound a softer compound like EBC yellow stuff pads. Why the dealers can’t fix it the problem is they would only replace with the same parts that came on the car so you are not solving the problem. Like I said I’ve got over 32 years experience in the brake business as I build brakes for a living
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

wayne10244 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:47 am How to fix rear brake noise is to replace the discs with groove ones and change to a different compound a softer compound like EBC yellow stuff pads. Why the dealers can’t fix it the problem is they would only replace with the same parts that came on the car so you are not solving the problem. Like I said I’ve got over 32 years experience in the brake business as I build brakes for a living
Yeah I recall that being a quick, easy-ish fix plus you get new pads into the bargain but it would cost dealers money so they are likely to be less keen, though they seem less keen to fix the issue anyway....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:27 am Yeah I recall that being a quick, easy-ish fix plus you get new pads into the bargain but it would cost dealers money so they are likely to be less keen, though they seem less keen to fix the issue anyway....
The problem is, VW don’t authorise the dealer doing a fix under warranty then the dealer doesn’t get paid, which might explain why dealers wouldn’t be - or aren’t - keen to fix the issue.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:45 am
stevereeves wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:27 am Yeah I recall that being a quick, easy-ish fix plus you get new pads into the bargain but it would cost dealers money so they are likely to be less keen, though they seem less keen to fix the issue anyway....
The problem is, VW don’t authorise the dealer doing a fix under warranty then the dealer doesn’t get paid, which might explain why dealers wouldn’t be - or aren’t - keen to fix the issue.
This is true, guess the issue should be taken up with VW then. Annoying on a new car tho....
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Copied post deleted.
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

wayne10244 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:47 am How to fix rear brake noise is to replace the discs with groove ones and change to a different compound a softer compound like EBC yellow stuff pads. Why the dealers can’t fix it the problem is they would only replace with the same parts that came on the car so you are not solving the problem. Like I said I’ve got over 32 years experience in the brake business as I build brakes for a living
I suspect if this is really annoying members they are likely to take the matter into their own hands and apply a fix themselves!! After all the cost must be minimal and there are some very mechanically minded people on this board. Are you able to provide a "How to Guide" for users to allow them to fix themselves?

thanks in advance...

MJ
Kayster
New
Drives: 2.0 GTI TSI

Post by Kayster »

Goonergal1974 wrote:Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG (2019) that I purchased in November. After about a month I noticed a horrible noise I can only describe as sounding like a couple of whales mating/Chewbacca in my backseat/rear when reversing and applying the brakes. I had the RAC come out and check it and was advised that I contact my local VIndis dealer who asked me to bring it in which I did in December. After a day in the shop, I was told it was a normal noise to be expected as was a brand new car and that there was nothing wrong with discs/pads etc. This continued for two months and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, googling and numerous You tube searches; I found that this could possibly be a software issue or that the Discs/pads needed to be changed as had been an issue in Germany? I managed to convince VIndis to take it in again after a few heated discussions citing the forums and info I’d found, along with the threat to take the matter higher however Covid 19 hit so it was postponed. In July they contacted me and informed me that there was indeed a problem with the car (they’d had a directive from VW) and that it needed to be resolved with a software update, this was done end of July however the noise IS STILL HAPPENING! Has anyone else had or know of a similar issue and what the outcome was that I can arm myself with to get them to resolve it? Having forked out £28000+ with all the extras it’s becoming embarrassing when I’m reversing to park and my brand new motor that is the envy of many; sounds like it has whales mating in the back![emoji15][emoji23] Please help as I feel like I’m getting the whole “stupid female, let’s palm her off” rubbish every time I call them with the issue. PS...as a newbie to the joys of GTI, I would despite these issues buy another or recommend, it is a joy to drive and so much fun! [emoji7]
The Polo 2.0 GTI is produced right here in South Africa. I have the exact same issue and it’s driving me insane. Imagine folking out so much to have a car making so much noise when you reverse, it’s un-VW like. Anyway I’m taking this matter to VWSA, it’s obviously a manufacturing defect and they did that defect. This issue doesn’t affect all Polo GTIs so I suspect a batch at a certain time, something if they successfully diagnose they can issue a recall. Mine is a 2019. Will keep you updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am [quote="Goonergal1974"
Good luck mate, been there done that. Their first port of call was a software update for the ABS but had no effect. I've just come to accept it and if people ask I just tell them its the carbon ceramic brakes :P
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am]
The Polo 2.0 GTI is produced right here in South Africa. I have the exact same issue and it’s driving me insane. Imagine folking out so much to have a car making so much noise when you reverse, it’s un-VW like. Anyway I’m taking this matter to VWSA, it’s obviously a manufacturing defect and they did that defect. This issue doesn’t affect all Polo GTIs so I suspect a batch at a certain time, something if they successfully diagnose they can issue a recall. Mine is a 2019. Will keep you updated

Good luck! However, if the efficiency of the brakes and safety of the car aren’t affected, VW are unlikely to issue a recall. Similarly, in the absence of safety / braking efficiency issues, I dare say finding a fix will be considered low priority within VW.

Please do update the forum though when you get a response from VWSA.
Kayster
New

Post by Kayster »

OomStu_ZA wrote:
Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am [quote="Goonergal1974"
Good luck mate, been there done that. Their first port of call was a software update for the ABS but had no effect. I've just come to accept it and if people ask I just tell them its the carbon ceramic brakes :P
It’s embarrassing. I told my nephew that I rented it as a joke when he first saw it. After driving it for a bit he said no rental company could give out a car with such bad brakes [emoji23] and said it reversed like a second hand car.

wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

The trouble is most of you moan about the noise that the brake make. But you don’t understand how brakes work and the difference that components can make a difference. For instance back in the the 60’s and 70’s brake pads and shoes had asbestos in them so they was a softer compound. When they banned it they had the change the makeup of the compound. Most pads are hard! especially on German cars and produce a lot of brake dust. Plus you got metal particles in the compound. Just think metal on metal will make a noise? Think of when drilling into metal and can make a high pitch noise. It’s the same with a hard compounds in a brake pads. And In no way if you take it to the dealers are they going to solve the problem. As when a manufacturer like Vw goes to a manufacturer that makes brakes they will ask for a suitable brake for there Application plus then they will go to a brake pad manufacturer and ask them for the best compound for a pad for there car. Probably a good all rounder. And cheap to buy. Your Vw dealer is not going to solve the problem because if they said yes we will change the pads and discs to see if it’s going to make a difference. It not as they will be changing like for like. And for Vw to change anything to solve the problem they would have to paid there brake suppliers more money as they would have to chance the spec of the compounds or the spec of the brakes. Like I said in previous post change your pads to a softer compound and later on rear discs to grooved this will stop the noise.
Last edited by wayne10244 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayster
New

Post by Kayster »

SRGTD wrote:
Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am]

Good luck! However, if the efficiency of the brakes and safety of the car aren’t affected, VW are unlikely to issue a recall. Similarly, in the absence of safety / braking efficiency issues, I dare say finding a fix will be considered low priority within VW.

Please do update the forum though when you get a response from VWSA.
Will do

stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am The Polo 2.0 GTI is produced right here in South Africa. I have the exact same issue and it’s driving me insane. Imagine folking out so much to have a car making so much noise when you reverse, it’s un-VW like. Anyway I’m taking this matter to VWSA, it’s obviously a manufacturing defect and they did that defect. This issue doesn’t affect all Polo GTIs so I suspect a batch at a certain time, something if they successfully diagnose they can issue a recall. Mine is a 2019. Will keep you updated

My car is a 2020 and it also has the issue. Seems to me that it isn't a batch thing and more a of a design. Either way doesn't bother me too much.