Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Post by monkeyhanger »

Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am The Polo 2.0 GTI is produced right here in South Africa. I have the exact same issue and it’s driving me insane. Imagine folking out so much to have a car making so much noise when you reverse, it’s un-VW like. Anyway I’m taking this matter to VWSA, it’s obviously a manufacturing defect and they did that defect. This issue doesn’t affect all Polo GTIs so I suspect a batch at a certain time, something if they successfully diagnose they can issue a recall. Mine is a 2019. Will keep you updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's actually quite VW-like (Golfs, Audi A3s and Sciroccos that have unvented rear discs aren't immune to the rear brake harmonic vibration "mooing" in reverse. Many Hondas and Toyotas are renowned for it too. It affects most if not all Polo GTIs (i've had 2,built 14 months apart and they both do it), definitely not a batch thing. It's a characteristic of the VAG set up of unvented rear disc brakes.
Kayster
New
Drives: 2.0 GTI TSI

Post by Kayster »

Kayster wrote:
SRGTD wrote:
Kayster wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am]
The Polo 2.0 GTI is produced right here in South Africa. I have the exact same issue and it’s driving me insane. Imagine folking out so much to have a car making so much noise when you reverse, it’s un-VW like. Anyway I’m taking this matter to VWSA, it’s obviously a manufacturing defect and they did that defect. This issue doesn’t affect all Polo GTIs so I suspect a batch at a certain time, something if they successfully diagnose they can issue a recall. Mine is a 2019. Will keep you updated

Good luck! However, if the efficiency of the brakes and safety of the car aren’t affected, VW are unlikely to issue a recall. Similarly, in the absence of safety / braking efficiency issues, I dare say finding a fix will be considered low priority within VW.

Please do update the forum though when you get a response from VWSA.
Will do

UPDATE! VWSA says the brake issue is quite normal as some of you mentioned. To cut the long story short, what I’m experiencing has to do with how the pads were designed/ put together and that it doesn’t affect brake efficiency.

I’m rather sad because apart from this issue I’m struggling to find freaken 215/40/r18, well decent and affordable one’s. How can these tyres be more expensive than 225/40/r18??! This is a good car but I really miss my Fiesta ST, zero problems and thoroughly enjoyable!

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Kayster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:02 pm UPDATE! VWSA says the brake issue is quite normal as some of you mentioned. To cut the long story short, what I’m experiencing has to do with how the pads were designed/ put together and that it doesn’t affect brake efficiency.

I’m rather sad because apart from this issue I’m struggling to find freaken 215/40/r18, well decent and affordable one’s. How can these tyres be more expensive than 225/40/r18??! This is a good car but I really miss my Fiesta ST, zero problems and thoroughly enjoyable!

That was the type of response I was anticipating you’d get from VW. It also suggests that there won’t be a fix as braking efficiency isn’t affected, and swapping to non OEM pads made from a softer compound as @wayne10244 has suggested may well be the answer.

As for tyres - I suspect 215/40 R18 tyres are more expensive as they’re not as common a size as, say a 225/40 R18 tyre. With that in mind, I dare say they’re produced in relatively low volume, which could be the reason for the higher cost.

Quite a few forum members have swapped to 225/40 R18’s which in the UK are significantly cheaper than 215/40 R18’s.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Kayster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:02 pm
UPDATE! VWSA says the brake issue is quite normal as some of you mentioned. To cut the long story short, what I’m experiencing has to do with how the pads were designed/ put together and that it doesn’t affect brake efficiency.

As expected from VW, I call it the Ostrich syndrome, stick your head in the sand and the problem will go away.

Yeah, re: tyres I'm sorry. I got the last set of PS4's in the country (225/40/18) according to the local suppliers in SA. Had them installed recently and am Mc Lovin it :)
Last edited by OomStu_ZA on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Is this "mooing" noise only happen with GTi?

I have a 1.6 Conceptline Polo (5-Speed Manual) that comes with rear brake disc (Solid Disc), it didn't make the "mooing" noise:
20200903_140450.jpg
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ho8882000 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:40 pm Is this "mooing" noise only happen with GTi?

I have a 1.6 Conceptline Polo (5-Speed Manual) that comes with rear brake disc (Solid Disc), it didn't make the "mooing" noise:
20200903_140450.jpg
I think it just affects the GTI.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:45 pm
ho8882000 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:40 pm Is this "mooing" noise only happen with GTi?

20200903_140450.jpg
I think it just affects the GTI.
Thanks. :D
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

A stupid question, have anyone checked their brake pads are fitted in the correct direction?

Some brake pads are directional nowadays.

wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

Crap video as you only get the noise when in reverse not when going forward so the directional arrows is a crap idea it’s the Material in the compound of the pad is the problem it’s too hard Volkswagen has gone for a hard wearing pad that over time will crumble from the heat will be generated from the fraction between the disc pad. Better off with a softer compound pad that can take more heat and grooved discs as well.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

@ wayne10244

Would you mind linking what parts you bought? Wouldn't mind getting this done if it's a quick job?

Cheers
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

I want for EBC yellow stuff pads you still get a bit of noise with the standard discs but not as much as the vw pads. As for rear discs there are no manufacturers that are making groove rear discs at the moment for the gti I sent a email to Mtek to see if they will be doing some as the polo aw is not listed yet and as for EBC they don’t do the groove rears for the gti. I might buy a branded set of rear discs and marching the grooves myself. As for changing pads and discs the hardest part is jacking up the car and taking the wheels off. For someone who never done it I would say it takes 2 hours taking your time.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

On a similar note, my 2011 Audi S4, with vented discs all round, has similar bolts securing the rear callipers to the calliper carrier, lower bolts are normal M8 X 1.25 X 22mm and the top bolts have the same threaded section but have a large "balance weight" built into the top bolts - part number for top bolt is WHT 001 921 if anyone is bothered and wants to try their own way of damping down this noise - there was another version of this fitted to 2002MY> VW Polo GT etc for a while.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

I'm most likely going to put some EBC Ultimax 2 pads in. I had good results with these in my 595 to help silence the notorious squealing 4 pot Brembo setup up front and they performed really well. Absolutely silent but great bite. I know they aren't Redstuff or Yellowstuff, but the specs online are good. They have a GG rating and an average coefficient of 0.46. Which is as good as other higher priced pads. Non-metallic compound. So yeah, I've had good results with the Ultimax 2 pads and they don't cost the earth. Think about 30 odd quid.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

FWIW I get the 'howling' in reverse too.
I don't intend to do anything about it, although a wee bit embarrassing when neighbours were watching yesterday.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

wayne10244 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 pm I want for EBC yellow stuff pads you still get a bit of noise with the standard discs but not as much as the vw pads. As for rear discs there are no manufacturers that are making groove rear discs at the moment for the gti I sent a email to Mtek to see if they will be doing some as the polo aw is not listed yet and as for EBC they don’t do the groove rears for the gti. I might buy a branded set of rear discs and marching the grooves myself. As for changing pads and discs the hardest part is jacking up the car and taking the wheels off. For someone who never done it I would say it takes 2 hours taking your time.
Yeah I've been looking for awhile, no rear options apart from plain faced. Tarox have listings on their website but no price on the rears which makes me think they are coming... just not quite yet.

If it helps anyone out, CLP Tuning stock the full Green, Red and Yellow EBC pad range for both Front and Rears.

https://clptuning.co.uk/?make=2190&mode ... vpf-search

I know I said I'd go Ultimax 2 but now thinking I may go Red all round.

Cheers.