Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Post by Andy Beats »

For those changing the pads, are the caliper pistons just a pushback job, or wind-in?
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

No you need a Wind back tool as nearly all rear callipers with work with hand brake need to have the piston wound back there are plenty of tools on the market to do it
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

wayne10244 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:24 pm No you need a Wind back tool as nearly all rear callipers with work with hand brake need to have the piston wound back there are plenty of tools on the market to do it
Ach, what a pain in the ass.
Cheers anyway.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

My car occasionally makes this noise when reversing but seems to stop if I brake once. Seems to happen more if I’ve been on a long journey and not had to use my brakes much, for example my commute to/from work.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:18 am My car occasionally makes this noise when reversing but seems to stop if I brake once. Seems to happen more if I’ve been on a long journey and not had to use my brakes much, for example my commute to/from work.
Not had the noise with mine yet, so waiting in anticipation 🙂.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 am
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:18 am My car occasionally makes this noise when reversing but seems to stop if I brake once. Seems to happen more if I’ve been on a long journey and not had to use my brakes much, for example my commute to/from work.
Not had the noise with mine yet, so waiting in anticipation 🙂.
It seems to go dead easily on mine and doesn’t bother me anyway. I love the car too much to let that bother me.
Joe VW
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Joe VW »

I get it most mornings as I reverse off my drive but if reversing after driving any distance it doesn't happen - a dab of the brake seems to stop it. Seems to be more pronounced if it's cold.

Sort of a cross between a rusty gate hinge, whale mating call and cow mooing.

Think I can put up with it tbh.
Mikemk4gti
New
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI+

Post by Mikemk4gti »

My 2018 does this, just been into the dealers today for them to look at it they did a software update but its made no difference, have to wait for VW to issue a fix apparently.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Joe VW wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:45 pm I get it most mornings as I reverse off my drive but if reversing after driving any distance it doesn't happen - a dab of the brake seems to stop it. Seems to be more pronounced if it's cold.

Sort of a cross between a rusty gate hinge, whale mating call and cow mooing.

Think I can put up with it tbh.
Thinking about it, mine must be when my brakes are cold as it’s either early morning or end of my long motorway commute where I’ve been doing a steady speed with minimal braking. At the weekend where I tend to drive a bit faster they don’t moo. It’s also become more frequent as the temperature has dropped whilst in warmer weather it does it less.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Mikemk4gti wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:41 pm My 2018 does this, just been into the dealers today for them to look at it they did a software update but its made no difference, have to wait for VW to issue a fix apparently.
I'd love them to explain how a software update would stop this purely mechanical problem.
wayne10244
Getting There!

Post by wayne10244 »

I Doubt that Vw know or understand the workings of a braking system to the knowledge of someone who works in the braking Industry and come out with we got a software update just to shut up people complaining about the noise the rear brakes make and can’t solve the problem!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 am
Mikemk4gti wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:41 pm My 2018 does this, just been into the dealers today for them to look at it they did a software update but its made no difference, have to wait for VW to issue a fix apparently.
I'd love them to explain how a software update would stop this purely mechanical problem.
The software update is to periodically dab the brakes to dry them off while on the move. That would be great if the mooing would only happen in the wet.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

wayne10244 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 am I Doubt that Vw know or understand the workings of a braking system to the knowledge of someone who works in the braking Industry and come out with we got a software update just to shut up people complaining about the noise the rear brakes make and can’t solve the problem!
The mechanics of braking aren't that complicated, VW create engineering solutions for far more complex issues than brakes, they know how to fix the issue, they just don't want to do it at a meaningful cost to themselves.

It's a resonance issue. If they used softer compound pads or damped the disc fixings, or fitted vented rear discs, the problem would go away.
wayne10244
Getting There!

Post by wayne10244 »

I was the one who said use a softer compound as I in the braking industry for over 33 years so I deal with so many different types brake from drum brake to airdrome brakes to air discs brakes to hydraulic brakes so I Doubt Vw mechanics would have the same Knowledge with these types of braking systems and the workings of them
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 am The software update is to periodically dab the brakes to dry them off while on the move. That would be great if the mooing would only happen in the wet.
Blimey, that must feel a bit odd.
Even a wee dab would surely be noticeable to some drivers.