Retrofitting a subwoofer to 2018 SEL

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
kitchen10
New
Drives: Polo AW SEL, 1.0 TSI 115PS 6spd Manual

Retrofitting a subwoofer to 2018 SEL

Post by kitchen10 »

Greetings, fellow AW owners,

I bought my 68 plate SEL 115PS pre-registered in early 2019. It came fitted with the sub-less Discover Navigation infotainment package, which I've found to be somewhat lacking in the low-end department for my taste. I'd like to fit a 'sensible' sub to fill out the bass a little but I would also like to retain the spare wheel, so a sub that fits in the wheel well wouldn't suit. I'm also not too keen on an under-seat sub. I've noticed that a VW sub (part number 2G0035621) which fits on the ledge to the left of the spare wheel well is available secondhand for less than £100 - has anyone attempted to retrofit one of these to their Polo? I'm not sure if it's even possible. Equally, has anyone fitted an aftermarket sub? My intention isn't to rattle numberplates at traffic lights, rather I'm aiming for a more balanced sound without making too great a compromise on boot space. I'd be curious to see other folks' installs!

Cheers,
Kitch
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Re: Retrofitting a subwoofer to 2018 SEL

Post by Dazeredo »

The sub is part of the beats pack and also uses a amplifier under the driver seat (at least on euro spec cars) and extra/better speakers. I think that the sub alone is not compatible with the car stereo.
kitchen10
New
Drives: Polo AW SEL, 1.0 TSI 115PS 6spd Manual

Post by kitchen10 »

Dazeredo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm The sub is part of the beats pack and also uses a amplifier under the driver seat (at least on euro spec cars) and extra/better speakers. I think that the sub alone is not compatible with the car stereo.
I see, do you think it'd be possible to retrofit the Beats pack? Perhaps one to ask my local VW dealer...
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

Possible I'm sure that it'd be, but I'm sure it will be really expensive, not only for the parts but also for the labor to install all the wiring needed.
And a warning, it steals more boot space that needed because you only use the boot floor on the upper setting.

Sometimes changing the OEM speakers for something better is a better and easy option. But that does not replace the bass of the subwoofer if that is what you are looking for. :oops:
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The Beats upgrade tends to be very base heavy, so unless that’s your thing, it might not be worth the expense of a retro-fit.

As @Dazeredo had said, replacing the OEM speakers might be a better and more cost effective option.