Polo Gti+ Pure White New Car Prep

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Polo Gti+ Pure White New Car Prep

Post by PhilArnold »

Thought I'd document my new car prep for you guys, hope its of interest and if anyone has any questions or wants to have a go at their car themselves please give me me a shout

Picked the car up on a Wednesday and had instructed the dealership to leave all the delivery wrap on and not valet either the inside or the outside of the car.

Got it home and yeah it was in an absolute state, completely filthy on the outside but untouched so minimal chance of paint damage.

Promptly de-wrapped the car and then tackled the interior. Not alot to do here other than take off all the seat covers and go over all the plastics with my favourite interior dressing, ODK Cabin, this stuff smell absolutely amazing! Wiped down with a microfiber madness crazy bag

Next job was to tackle the wheels and arches, as I was getting the tyres swapped over to Michelin PS4 tyres the day after, so had to crack on.
Arches were slightly dirty with muddy water splatted up the inside.

These were scrubbed out with Bilt Hamber Surfex, an EZ detail GO brush, dried off and then dressed with Chemical Guys Barebones. This gives such a great finish for arches etc and lasts a surprisingly long time. Dries quickly and very little sling

Wheels were cleaned with a combination of wheel cleaners & T&G remover as there was some weird yellow residue all the way round on the inner inside lip. Not got any pics of this step as it was pretty boring visually. Wheels were de-weighted and then off to the local powder coaters for a safe tyre swap over

Saturday was the big day, so up early to get things done.
The car was covered in a greyish grime all over, so cracked out Bilt Hamber Auto Foam, applied with a pump sprayer to start to loosen all the dirt

Jetted that off which shifted a food deal, but then wanted to hit the car again with something with a bit more of a dwell time to really get into all the panel gaps.
Covered the car with a blanket of Wax Planet Eight Below snow foam, let that dwell for at least 5 minutes.

Jetted that off too and seemed to be shifting things, car was looking noticeably cleaner and so I was happy to get the shampoo out
Weapon of choice was Gyeon Bathe, a Dooka Osha wash pad and of course all with the 2 bucket method, complete with grit guards in the bottom of the rinse water.

Again not alot to see post shampoo after it was rinsed off, other than the car being much cleaner. All the shuts were cleaned out with hog's hair brushes & BH Surfex again. Panel gaps, window rubbers and any tightwork was given attention.
Decontamination is next up and as expected, fallout is a big problem on new cars so needed 2 hits of Wax planet Plasma Fe was used. This has a gel-like consistency so clings well on vertical panels and works for longer. The amount of purple bleeding especially on the horizontal panels that weren't covered with the delivery wrap were particularly bad.

After the paint was feeling much smoother I decided to go straight to claying, as there wasn't any tar on the car due to it not driving very far at all, and being white it's quite easily spotted.
Another Bilt Hamber product, this time the soft clay.

Not alot of pickup but still worth doing, paint feels like glass now, so can be dried off. Brought out my new Rag-Company Gauntlet drying towel, lovely towel and best of both worlds between plush and twist style drying towels. Once dry the car was looking much more presentable

Now it was time for the wheels to come back off the car, another clean as before, decontaminate, dried off and panel wiped.
KKD-Revolve X was then applied to the dry wheels. This is one of the best wheel ceramics on the market and I got 2 years out of one on my previous polo before I got rid, at which point it was still beading strong. Applied & buffed on the faces, just applied to the barrels as it is self levelling so doesn't need a wipe down. Centre caps re-aligned, tyres dressed with Gyeon Tyre

Repeat x 4 and back on the car, looking much better than when I started! (Before and after). Calipers were also panel wiped and then ceramic coated too, along with all the black trims on the car

I inspected the paint and it was in very good condition, something I can live with until spring when I'll likely get the machine out on it to give it a bit of a gloss boost, so all that was needed is a paint cleanse by hand using Dodo Juice Lime prime, followed by a panel wipe and then an application of KKD Si-stal. This isn't a ceramic but a silica based resin coating and so can tolerate outdoor application and environment's that aren't controlled like you would get inside a studio.
For anyone interested in ceramics but doesn't want the associated risks, this is a very good starting point. Super easy to use, leave for a few minutes after application and then remove.

Afterwards the paint was given a wipe down with KKD Si-Coat, the recommended topper for Si-Stal if you're looking to add more gloss, no pics of this I'm afraid

Exhaust tips cleaned & protected with Britemax Metal twins before again giving these a coating of Revolve X

With time running out, I only cleaned glass inside & out, glass coating will have to wait until next week. Gtechniq G1 will be on the cards for this
If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with! Very very happy with the end results and now ready to enjoy the car, few after shots are below

For anyone wondering the beading performance of Si-Stal and Si-Coat, I was treated to a rain shower the next day, so managed to grab some beading shots, not too shabby at all I dont think
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Polo Gti+ Pure White New Car Prep

Post by S_94 »

Great post Phil. Car looks amazing!

Would you do the same cleaning process each time? Or do you have a more concise method for a 'quick wash'?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Looks brilliant Phil.

Now you can get on with enjoying it!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:47 pm Great post Phil. Car looks amazing!

Would you do the same cleaning process each time? Or do you have a more concise method for a 'quick wash'?
I don’t think I’ve ever managed a ‘quick wash’. It usually takes me around 2 - 2.5 hours when I clean my car, and being the previous generation Polo GTI, it’s smaller, so there’s less of it to clean than there is with the current model Polo. 😀
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's a bit risky taking the car with all its coverings still on. If there'd been any damage under those films you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on because you have not allowed the dealership to do the PDI properly. Any rectification costs woukd've been on you.

Other than that, it looks like a great job done.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member

Post by PhilArnold »

Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't do that level of work for a normal maintenance wash, but it would contain elements

What I would normal do on a weekly / fortnightly basis is:
  • Jet off the whole car
  • Apply a prewash or snowfoam all over
  • While that's dwelling, clean the wheels with shampoo (as they're coated that's all you need) using a wheel mitt, various brushes etc
  • APC clean the tyres
  • Jetwash off
  • 2 bucket method wash
  • Clean out the shuts
  • Jetwash off
  • Dry
  • Tyre dressing
  • Glass clean
If I noticed that the paint protection is dying off then I would add in the paint cleanse and applying of something new at the end, whether that was a spray wax, sealant, qd etc

Every half a year I would add in the decontamination steps, and then do a wheels off clean probably once a year. Interior would be as and when I felt like it, but probably every 6 weeks or so for the dressing and a hoover out fortnightly

I can easily get a normal weekly maintenance wash done in 2 hours Inc getting all the gear out and putting it away
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

PhilArnold wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 am

Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't do that level of work for a normal maintenance wash, but it would contain elements

• Jet off the whole car
  • While that's dwelling, clean the wheels with shampoo (as they're coated that's all you need) using a wheel mitt, various brushes etc
  • APC clean the tyres
  • Jetwash off
  • 2 bucket method wash
  • Clean out the shuts
  • Jetwash off
  • Dry
  • Tyre dressing
  • Glass clean
If I noticed that the paint protection is dying off then I would add in the paint cleanse and applying of something new at the end, whether that was a spray wax, sealant, qd etc

Every half a year I would add in the decontamination steps, and then do a wheels off clean probably once a year. Interior would be as and when I felt like it, but probably every 6 weeks or so for the dressing and a hoover out fortnightly

I can easily get a normal weekly maintenance wash done in 2 hours Inc getting all the gear out and putting it away
Looks great Phil nice job. I did something similar but not to the same extent as you - I prefer sealants and waxes to ceramics because I love treating my car so I’m always trying new stuff. I’d imagine Yours finish will be more durable than mine!
PhilArnold
Bronze Member

Post by PhilArnold »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:42 am
PhilArnold wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 am

• Jet off the whole car
  • APC clean the tyres
  • Jetwash off
  • 2 bucket method wash
  • Clean out the shuts
  • Jetwash off
  • Dry
  • Tyre dressing
  • Glass clean

Looks great Phil nice job. I did something similar but not to the same extent as you - I prefer sealants and waxes to ceramics because I love treating my car so I’m always trying new stuff. I’d imagine Yours finish will be more durable than mine!
Thanks! Yeah normally I'm a paste wax advocate, (I've got a fridge full of them) but fancied a change this time. I've always ceramiced my wheels but thought I would go a half way house on the paintwork this time
If I get bored I can always remove it or wax over the top
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Wow, devotion to the cause there, but it looks great. 8) What did you use to remove the wheel weights without scratching the black paint?
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Looks great Phil. Almost feel bad for my car now. Not been washed in over 2 months and has mud all over it from a 600mile journey I did last week :lol:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:48 am Looks great Phil. Almost feel bad for my car now. Not been washed in over 2 months and has mud all over it from a 600mile journey I did last week :lol:
Don’t feel too guilty Stuart; you’re using and enjoying your car 👍 and that’s important too.

I must admit I’ve never done as thorough job on my car as Phil has on his new GTI+; that’s real dedication, but IMO the results are impressive and on a par with what a professional detailer would be able to achieve.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

stuartrendall wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:48 am Looks great Phil. Almost feel bad for my car now. Not been washed in over 2 months and has mud all over it from a 600mile journey I did last week :lol:
I used to spend hours and £££ on cleaning my cars.
Old age creeps up on you and, at 53, I just can't be bothered with the physical demands of doing it now.
Contorting yourself on the drive to reach that tar spot means aches and pain the next day. :cry:
Automatic carwashes once every X weeks for me now. :D
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Now THAT's what I call a car clean :D . If only I had the time, energy & patience 8) but very good job there Phil....
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Wondering if you've all seen the famous (inafamous) post from a guy with a Vauxhall Astra some years ago?
Similar to this, but much more involved and him using massive camera lenses to photograph the tiniest imperfections in the paint, with a view to going "back to the dealer with it" etc.
I've seen detailing threads before, I'm literally 2 miles from one of the most famous detailing companies in the UK (Polished Bliss), but this was different level.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member

Post by PhilArnold »

TurboTrev wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:38 am Wow, devotion to the cause there, but it looks great. 8) What did you use to remove the wheel weights without scratching the black paint?
Its quite easy and applies to anything stuck on with an adhesive pad, such as badges, decals etc.
You heat the item up gently with a heat gun or hairdryer, then use dental floss or fishing wire to cut through the adhesive pad between the car paint and the badge.
Once off, peel the bulk of the rest of the adhesive pad off with your fingers and then soak the adhesive remains off with T&G remover on a makeup removal pad

Wipe off and jobs a good-un