I’ve joined the GTI+ club!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: I’ve joined the GTI+ club!

Post by SRGTD »

PhilArnold wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:31 pm Congrats on the car, welcome to the white polo gti club!
OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:48 pm Congrats mate, many safe miles ahead!
lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 pm Congrats, you kept that quiet!
Thanks guys.

Yes, I did keep it quiet 😀. However, as I said in an earlier post in this discussion thread, I’ve been dropping a few subtle hints since I ordered - maybe they were a bit too subtle though. It’s been really interesting following the posts of others who’ve been waiting like I have, and sensing the frustration of some who understandably just wanted to get their cars.

I personally didn’t mind the wait too much. Having been a VW owner for 18 years now, I knew how long it can take for VW to build a factory order and for it to be delivered to the dealer. I wasn’t ready to change my car when I ordered it, but I knew I would be when it eventually arrived. So, after ordering I took the view that it’ll take as long as it takes to get here and there’s nothing I can do to change that. Once I knew it was in the UK though, I just wanted to get my hands on it! 🙂.

The salesperson at the dealers I got my car from told me that they can’t currently place new orders for the GTI / GTI+. They seem to think the reason is emissions-related and seemed uncertain whether or not the position would change in the future, although I can remember some forum members checking with their dealers and it was suggested the order books would open again at some point. Here’s hoping they do, so others can also join the GTI+ club.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Congrats; mine is white too and I was glad it didn't come with the red dash inlay.
With regard to the DSG shifting up too soon, I had the software remapped and now it's perfect (shifts up a little later in D)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Teee wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm Congratulations on your new car, best colour and wheel combination (hint of Biased lol), I feel the same about the red dashboard I personally think it’s an eyesore, there’s lots of cars With the red dash pads on the second hand market so I think it might be easier to shift a car with the deep iron dash pads in the future & Your old car looks really good for a 2016 I’m pretty sure you’ll look after the new car just as well.
Thanks @Teee, and thanks for the comments on my ‘old’ car. I do try to keep my cars looking tidy and enjoy doing it too. I’ve got the benefit of being ‘time rich’ as I was fortunate to be able to retire early, so have no excuse for not finding the time to give the car a clean when it needs it 😀.

I was in two minds over whether or not I let the dealer prep my car. To be fair to them, they did a reasonably good job but I’ll be giving it a ‘proper clean’ and decontaminating the paintwork during the next few days, and then adding a couple of coats of wax or sealant so it’s ready for the winter weather.
Rosinfield wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:49 pm Congrats; mine is white too and I was glad it didn't come with the red dash inlay.
With regard to the DSG shifting up too soon, I had the software remapped and now it's perfect (shifts up a little later in D)
Thanks. When I initially made enquiries about a GTI+ earlier this year, the dealer would’ve been able to do an allocation grab a white one with Art Velours upholstery and red dash pads, which would’ve meant I’d have got it much sooner. I politely declined - for me, the GTI needs to have the classic tartan seats. I think if I was younger, I probably would’ve been OK with the red dash pads, but with me being a ‘mature’ GTI owner, subtlety is the name of the game! 🙂
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

Haha, as a few have said you really kept that under wraps..... :shock: :D

I did wonder sometimes why you were so keen to get involved in the discussions on waiting for cars to arrive. Now it makes sense.

Congrats. Looks lovely.

I’ve only got another R Line 115 coming but still really looking forward to it. It was your rationale on white that persuaded me to go Pure White this time. I have an 18 plate Limestone R Line at the moment. This time went 17s and front LEDs.

Just shows the VW lottery. Mine was on the same ship to Emden but still not at the dealers yet. At least it’s in the U.K. now.
Should hear any day.

Hope you enjoy your new car.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@brainbow - ha ha, yes maybe I did get quite involved in some of the discussions around transit from South Africa to Emden. I remember telling @MrTomOates where the Glovis Spring was at one point on its journey to Emden. I knew where it was because my car was on Glovis Spring as well 😀.

My car must’ve been pretty much unloaded at Emden and then loaded straight onto a vessel heading to the UK (my car went to Sheerness) as I got stage 5b and 5c updates on the same day. It then sat at Sheerness for two weeks, which was a little frustrating.

I’m pleased that I chose white. I think the R-Line looks good in white too, as it has the same black trim pieces (sill extensions, tailgate spoiler, front lip) as the GTI and IMO they contrast well with the white paintwork. I think you’ll be pleased with the LED headlamps. I’ve not tried them out on my new car yet but I had them on my 2016 GTI and they were very good.

Hope you get your car soon, and be sure to post up some pictures when you get it.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

I’ll definitely post some pics. I’m looking forward to an 2018 to 2020 comparison.

Same model and engine admittedly, however 17s from 16s, LEDs front instead of standard and small model changes. Limestone to Pure White
Only thing I dropped was Climate which I think is over priced for a small car.

My two boys are most excited about the rear usb charge points :D
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

brainbow wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:32 am Only thing I dropped was Climate which I think is over priced for a small car.
I wish I'd been able to spec climate in my GTI, I'd have gladly spent the £290 for it, but it's a stock car.
IMO little ages/cheapens the interior of a car more than old-fashioned heater knobs/dials. :(
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 am
brainbow wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:32 am Only thing I dropped was Climate which I think is over priced for a small car.
I wish I'd been able to spec climate in my GTI, I'd have gladly spent the £290 for it, but it's a stock car.
IMO little ages/cheapens the interior of a car more than old-fashioned heater knobs/dials. :(
£290? It was £450 last time I looked, I definitely wouldn't pay that for it.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

I prefer traditional heater dials, feels safer than prodding buttons low down on the dashboard to get heat or change direction of airflow. It takes a while to learn the location of a button than twist a dial quickly. I think Car Play is another distraction too many.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Simonz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am I think Car Play is another distraction too many.
Car play allows you to use voice activation for everything (music/phone etc.)
So, if anything, safer.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am £290? It was £450 last time I looked, I definitely wouldn't pay that for it.
£290 for automatic climate control according to the GTi options list.
It's worth that, although it should be bloody standard on a car of this level (as should cruise control).
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

Simonz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am
I prefer traditional heater dials, feels safer than prodding buttons low down on the dashboard to get heat or change direction of airflow. It takes a while to learn the location of a button than twist a dial quickly. I think Car Play is another distraction too many.
Climate control option on a Polo is turn knobs for temp and basically hit auto. Only thing you ever need to change is the temp so no different to turning an old style knob. I would never have a car again without climate. Don’t know why it’s not standard.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am £290? It was £450 last time I looked, I definitely wouldn't pay that for it.
It's worth that, although it should be bloody standard on a car of this level (as should cruise control).
Cruise (ACC) is standard on a GTI+, but not on the GTI. Don't forget, the Polo is only a segment B car - those are high expectations for a segment B car - lack of climate and Nav are pretty much the only bits of equipment the much more expensive Golf GTI has over the Polo GTI+.

They must've dropped the price of climate while putting the price of everything else up.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 am
Cruise (ACC) is standard on a GTI+, but not on the GTI. Don't forget, the Polo is only a segment B car - those are high expectations for a segment B car - lack of climate and Nav are pretty much the only bits of equipment the much more expensive Golf GTI has over the Polo GTI+.

They must've dropped the price of climate while putting the price of everything else up.
Yes, I thought it used to be something like £450 for the climate option in the Polo.

I had it in my previous Polo GTI and wasn’t that impressed with it. Didn’t seem as efficient as the climate control I had in my mk6 Golf GTD. I stuck with the standard manual air con this time, and it seems fine, and it’s also easy to operate while on the move.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have 3 zone climate in the A4 and it's too clever for its own good. - you changewhich vents are blowing in which direction and it messes with other settings like turning aircon on/off/eco or recirculation on/off. Then yiu have to see what it changed and readjust. Dials for vents/temp/aircon are no hardship.

A GTI needs the armrest that the plus gets more than the climate to avoid the interior looking cheap.