Retrofit cruise (NOT ACC)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AHA polo
New
Drives: 2018 Polo 1.0 SEL

Re: Retrofit cruise (NOT ACC)

Post by AHA polo »

No part number as I paid electronically due to current restrictions but hopefully one will be in the post to me. Below is the booklet that was left in my car with the Activation Code, Activation Number and Pin Code.
B925E49E-295F-4897-B919-F5281F2AAD9B.jpeg
B925E49E-295F-4897-B919-F5281F2AAD9B.jpeg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

That says adaptive cruise! Is it a 3rd stalk below the indicator stalk, or is it on the indicator stalk?
AHA polo
New

Post by AHA polo »

It’s automatic cruise control, not adaptive.

It’s a replacement stalk which has an extra button on the bottom of it to switch between cruise and limiter modes.

When using cruise a green caption comes up in the dash showing the speed set.
dan98
New
Drives: None yet

Post by dan98 »

I'm curious why the thread starter doesn't like ACC.
I've imagined it to be a very cool way of taking out the hassle of stop/start traffic and motorway cruises.
Doesn't it work as well as it should?
AHA polo
New

Post by AHA polo »

I don’t know why the OP didn’t like it but I don’t like it either!

Because it slows you down behind traffic which is fine, but when you pull out to overtake there’s a huge pause before it accelerates and when it does accelerate it does it harshly (and not very economically). It’s also more than twice the price and because of its deficiencies you end up using it like normal cruise. It may work better on automatic cars but I’ve only experienced it on a manual VW loan car.
dan98
New

Post by dan98 »

Ah yeah I see Okay.

I can't imagine it making much sense on a manual car either.
I've just ordered a United DSG model...comes with manual cruise but was still curious about the ACC 'experience' on the Polo.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

dan98 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:47 am Ah yeah I see Okay.

I can't imagine it making much sense on a manual car either.
I've just ordered a United DSG model...comes with manual cruise but was still curious about the ACC 'experience' on the Polo.
I've not experienced it in a Polo, but have in a Nissan Leaf and LR Disco (both autos, neither has a manual option)
I find it a very frustrating experience, I feel it leaves too big a gap between you and the car in front - even on minimum settings.
So it encourages people to pull into the gap, which makes your car auto brake and the cycle continues.
Sod that, not for me.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

AHA polo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am Because it slows you down behind traffic which is fine,
I'd much rather that, than having it ram into the car in front. Standard cruise control drove me mad, as I was constantly toggling it on and off and readjusting the speed to maintain a safe distance behind cars. With adaptive, it is set and forget.
AHA polo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am but when you pull out to overtake there’s a huge pause before it accelerates
Not if you indicate...it will violate the previously maintained distance between you and the car in front and start accelerating straight away although I do find if you don't change lane quickly enough, it can start to slow down again which can be frustrating.
AHA polo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am and when it does accelerate it does it harshly (and not very economically).
You can alter the severity of it's reactions in the Driver Profile selection. In ECO mode, it is very slow to react and very slow to accelerate. In Sport, it reacts harshly. I use Normal and it's a happy medium
dan98
New

Post by dan98 »

I quite like the sound of it..although slowing down when you least expect it could get annoying as you say.

A pity it doesn't allow you to switch between automatic and manual cruise modes - in that case I would've definitely opted for it.
AHA polo
New

Post by AHA polo »

fletch555 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:45 am
AHA polo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am Because it slows you down behind traffic which is fine,
I'd much rather that, than having it ram into the car in front. Standard cruise control drove me mad, as I was constantly toggling it on and off and readjusting the speed to maintain a safe distance behind cars. With adaptive, it is set and forget.
AHA polo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am but when you pull out to overtake there’s a huge pause before it accelerates
Not if you indicate...it will violate the previously maintained distance between you and the car in front and start accelerating straight away although I do find if you don't change lane quickly enough, it can start to slow down again which can be frustrating.
AHA polo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am and when it does accelerate it does it harshly (and not very economically).
You can alter the severity of it's reactions in the Driver Profile selection. In ECO mode, it is very slow to react and very slow to accelerate. In Sport, it reacts harshly. I use Normal and it's a happy medium
Each to their own, these systems just aren’t sophisticated enough yet for me. Obviously I’m not going to slam into traffic in front because I’m monitoring traffic and conditions all the time, and I do use the indicators too! Maybe they work better in autos as I said but not for me.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I suppose it depends on how busy motorways are where you live.
Maybe standard cruise would drive me mad in England, but the motorways I use are such that normal cruise can be used for mile after mile without problems.
ACC offers me no advantages and I don't like the feeling of being 'bullied' by other traffic squeezing into what I would class as an overly large gap.
I'm not saying I tailgate, but the minimum gap is excessive IMO.
sam11
New
Drives: polo AW1

Post by sam11 »

Can you send out a wiring tutorial? I want to know how to connect the wiring harness. Thank you very much
sam11
New

Post by sam11 »

Can you send out a wiring tutorial? I want to know how to connect the wiring harness. Thank you very much
sam11
New

Post by sam11 »

It is simple to install fixed speed cruise on the original car with speed limiter. But you need to activate. Connect to Volkswagen's server for activation. So you need an activation code. I just modified the ACC cruise control. It is easy to connect the wiring harness to the car with the speed limiter