Rear brake noise on reverse

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
misty
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Re: Rear brake noise on reverse

Post by misty »

Hi All,
After much back and forth with VW UK they have a fix for the Polo GTi Brake Noise when reversing.
VW UK have advised communication for a fix has been sent to all UK dealerships.
The fix is to install damper weights on the brake caliper, I have been sent the link below from my dealership when i asked for more information on the fix:
https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/ti/D ... per-10860/
The parts are on back order, i am hoping to get mine to the dealership later this month!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

thank you for your contribution, however it seems your link is broken
misty
New

Post by misty »

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

misty wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:42 am Hi All,
After much back and forth with VW UK they have a fix for the Polo GTi Brake Noise when reversing.
VW UK have advised communication for a fix has been sent to all UK dealerships.
The fix is to install damper weights on the brake caliper, I have been sent the link below from my dealership when i asked for more information on the fix:
https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/ti/D ... per-10860/
The parts are on back order, i am hoping to get mine to the dealership later this month!
Yes, @S_94 mentioned there was an official fix to this issue on the previous page of this discussion thread.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Mine will be going in next Saturday so I'm hopeful the issue will finally be sorted. Rang in advance of the service to inform them of the problem as I knew if I mentioned it on the day they'd have to order in parts and I didn't fancy another trip to VW.

Someone mentioned on the Polo Owners Facebook page their local dealer knew nothing about the fix. Great VW communication as always. :roll:
misty
New

Post by misty »

S_94 good luck - i am told the weights are available but the bolts to attach them are on backorder and not expected to arrive in the UK until next week. I am waiting to be booked in and am told it should be sometime after 18 May.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

misty wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:01 pm S_94 good luck - i am told the weights are available but the bolts to attach them are on backorder and not expected to arrive in the UK until next week. I am waiting to be booked in and am told it should be sometime after 18 May.
Bolts...on back order....
Jesus wept, it'll be a run-of-the-mill size available from screwfix and would maybe need cut to length.
Sort of thing a home mechanic or a proper garage would do in seconds.
What a farce.
misty
New

Post by misty »

:roll:
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Standard well tried solution to move the frequency of that sort of noise, so why did VW Group take so long to use it, as I said a long time ago, my S4 had these - ie a special weighted top bolt, from very early in the production run. Higher powered 9N Polo and their siblings also got this solution. Some lessons just don't seem to be learned, solutions to potential problems omitted until customers complain in big enough numbers.
BigChrisG
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by BigChrisG »

I’ve had my GTI from new since 2018. I’ve been into the stealer 4 times with this break ‘mooing’ in reverse issue including at every service. I always felt fobbed off by them. Twice they said they had adjusted the breaks to no avail. The last time I had to show them a video of the noise. They said they had made a software update to sort the issue which had done nothing. Frustrating. Anyway great thread and note the recent fix. I’ll give the stealer a call!
BigChrisG
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by BigChrisG »

Got around to taking the car into the stealer before the 3 year warranty expires. 5th time they have seen it about the noise from the breaking whilst reversing issue. Despite giving them all the info from this forum they said they couldn’t replicate the noise. So had to send them a video of it. Finally acknowledged it and said they knew of others with a similar issue. Typical stealer will try everything not to accept responsibility. Anyway the required parts are difficult to get hold of so waiting for them to become available. Email from stealer below:

Good Afternoon,

So the senior technician has acknowledged your video and appreciates the noise that we have tried to replicate and have seen it.

He has advised me that the issue is more likely the brake caliper bolt which has a thread. He has chased VW for many months to get these parts into stock as we have had a few with the same issue but nothing we can do until these parts become available to us . He has spoken to our beadles regional representative to chase with parts technical at VW and still no luck.

In terms of documentation and your warranty period we have everything in place to carry out the repair even beyond your end date which would mean no cost for you.

At the moment moving forward all we can advise is to wait until we hear from VW about getting these parts into stock.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I don't know whether to admire your tenacity in getting this sorted, or think you should just move on...
I'm not known for suffering faults in a car, but when it's only 6 feet reversing out of my driver and another 6 feet reversing into a space at work it's not worth time.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:46 pm I don't know whether to admire your tenacity in getting this sorted, or think you should just move on...
I'm not known for suffering faults in a car, but when it's only 6 feet reversing out of my driver and another 6 feet reversing into a space at work it's not worth time.
I'm a driving instructor so I spend a lot of time sounding like a cow some days!! Hopefully mine will be fixed next Monday.....
atlanta98
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

Post by atlanta98 »

Had a service on my 2018 GTI a month ago and the dealer fitted these parts

VW2Q615413 2 x Weight
VWWHT010011 2 x Bolt
Not so much as a whimper since
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Not sure if this is relevant but since my vehicle was serviced at 45000KM and VW fitted nw pads all round there hasnt been a moo since. Maybe the pads used has a different compound than the ones fitted at factory?