Testing driving Polo GTI+ tomorrow

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jazzyr85
New
Drives: N/A

Testing driving Polo GTI+ tomorrow

Post by jazzyr85 »

A few months ago I was debating on buying a 2019 Golf 1.0L Match or a 2019 Polo GTI+. I ended up choosing the Golf and regretted it ever since. I find it very uncomfortable to drive (it wasn't apparent during the test drive, just became more obvious over time), it's to the point where my legs and knees hurt after driving it for a while, no matter what position I'm in. I also miss the fun factor I had in my Fiesta, it wasn't an ST or anything but you used to be able to whizz around no problem. The Golf is a bit more clunky. I decided after I had trouble sleeping due to the leg pain that it was time to give it up.

There's a couple of 2019 and a 2018 ex-demo GTI+'s going at the dealers and based on past experience they get snapped up pretty quickly. I like the idea of having a car that's a bit more mature than the Fiesta but not as boring as the Golf and the Polo GTI+ seems to fit that role. Luckily the dealers offered me a reasonable deal on the Golf.

Assuming I take to it tomorrow, do you reckon it would likely last me for 5+ years or until electrics become more feasible? I have very low milage (around 3000 miles per year) - I know people might say why spend that money on a car that doesn't get driven that often. Well I'm single, I have no kids and I want to actually enjoy being in the car I own for the times I am in it. I kept my reasonably basic Fiesta for 6 years, so I could see myself keeping the top range Polo for even longer if it lasted.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Testing driving Polo GTI+ tomorrow

Post by Andy Beats »

Have you considered the UP GTi?
Think I'll always have the nagging doubt I'd have gone for that, it's miles more fun than the Polo.
My old head ruled my young heart.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I love my gti, but I had a normal Golf and a golf gtd previously and both were more comfortable than my polo. So if you found the golf uncomfortable I’d be surprised if you found the polo gti more comfortable.

I also agree with Andy, if I hadn’t needed some semblance of a boot for my golf gear then I’d have looked at the up gti because that’s the most fun I’ve had in a car and I’ve driven much faster cars. It’s like a little go kart.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The Polo is very nature and refined as far as hot hatches go. If you want something more raucous, I'd go for the Fiesta ST. If you want something fast but (relatively) refined, go for the Polo. It's a "mini-me" Golf GTI, but not that much smaller.

The power delivery of the Polo with the DSG gearbox isn't that exciting - that's the price of refinement - you don't feel like you're going that fast when you work it. I used to have the same feeling with my Golf R - 300ps on tap and it didn't feel quick unless you were absolutely caning it.

I'd rather have a manual box.

What was it about the Golf that was so uncomfortable? Lumbar support? Heavy clutch pedal (manual)? I've had 4 Golfs and never had any bother with pains, even going to 19" wheels and lowered sports suspension on our crappy roads.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:17 pm I love my gti, but I had a normal Golf and a golf gtd previously and both were more comfortable than my polo. So if you found the golf uncomfortable I’d be surprised if you found the polo gti more comfortable.

I also agree with Andy, if I hadn’t needed some semblance of a boot for my golf gear then I’d have looked at the up gti because that’s the most fun I’ve had in a car and I’ve driven much faster cars. It’s like a little go kart.
The Up GTI is not a patch on the old Lupo GTI - the Up feels edgy because you feel like you're going to tip the car as you fling it around a corner - it's very tall for its short wheelbase. It does have that 80s hot hatch ditch finder vibe - like an old Peugeot 205GTI.

The Lupo GTI is the one car I regret not buying - used to drive my mates all the time but went for a Polo 1.9TDI Sport at the time (what was I thinking?). 140ps, Brymbo brakes, Aluminium doors and bonnet, it was light as a feather.

The Up GTI's 1 piece seats are incredibly uncomfortable after 1/2 an hour. Not a car to live with every day.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzyr85
New

Post by jazzyr85 »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:51 pm Have you considered the UP GTi?
Think I'll always have the nagging doubt I'd have gone for that, it's miles more fun than the Polo.
My old head ruled my young heart.
The UP is a nice looking car but one of the reasons I wanted a new car was because of the size. I wanted a bit more space for those trips plot IKEA and the like. The Polo is a bit bigger than a Fiesta afaik.
jazzyr85
New

Post by jazzyr85 »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:17 pm I love my gti, but I had a normal Golf and a golf gtd previously and both were more comfortable than my polo. So if you found the golf uncomfortable I’d be surprised if you found the polo gti more comfortable.

I drove a Polo a number of years ago and never had any issues with it. Of course it’s all changed now so who knows.

The problem is the clutch takes quite a bit of force to depress and I need to sit quite close to the steering wheel in order to depress it fully. But then the other pedals and the clutch, when it’s not depressed, feels too close. My leg bangs against the steering wheel lever, which won’t move any higher. I can lower the seat but the I feel too low and the steering wheel too high. If I lower the wheel it hits against it. I have to put my leg at a bit of an angle in order to not hit the wheel.

It might have something to do with my height/proportions - I’m 5’7”. I’m at the point where I feel like it shouldn’t be this hard to find a decent seating position. I’ve had the car since July and it still annoys me.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

jazzyr85 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:29 pm A few months ago I was debating on buying a 2019 Golf 1.0L Match or a 2019 Polo GTI+. I ended up choosing the Golf and regretted it ever since. I find it very uncomfortable to drive (it wasn't apparent during the test drive, just became more obvious over time), it's to the point where my legs and knees hurt after driving it for a while, no matter what position I'm in. I also miss the fun factor I had in my Fiesta, it wasn't an ST or anything but you used to be able to whizz around no problem. The Golf is a bit more clunky. I decided after I had trouble sleeping due to the leg pain that it was time to give it up.

There's a couple of 2019 and a 2018 ex-demo GTI+'s going at the dealers and based on past experience they get snapped up pretty quickly. I like the idea of having a car that's a bit more mature than the Fiesta but not as boring as the Golf and the Polo GTI+ seems to fit that role. Luckily the dealers offered me a reasonable deal on the Golf.

Assuming I take to it tomorrow, do you reckon it would likely last me for 5+ years or until electrics become more feasible? I have very low milage (around 3000 miles per year) - I know people might say why spend that money on a car that doesn't get driven that often. Well I'm single, I have no kids and I want to actually enjoy being in the car I own for the times I am in it. I kept my reasonably basic Fiesta for 6 years, so I could see myself keeping the top range Polo for even longer if it lasted.
Hope the Polo fits the bill, it’s auto so no clutch difficulty and you should be able to get a decent driving position with seat height adjustment, steering column adjusted properly. I’m sure it would be a good choice and last if looked after for 5 years. As you say EV might be better developed and more affordable by then.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Don't forget that the plus (don't think the non-plus GTI has it) has lumbar adjustment.

The trouble is, the Golf has all those things too. I do find in the Polo that I sit more upright in my comfortable driving position than I ever did in any of my MK5 and MK7 Golfs. That might be the factor that could make the driving position more comfortable in the Polo for the OP, plus the lack of clutch pedal (although I never had a problem with pedal positioning with any of my manual VWs, the 3 pedals are pretty evenly spaced with no horrible offset that some cars have).
jazzyr85
New

Post by jazzyr85 »

I loved the test drive. The seat is noticeably less padded than the golf but my legs were comfortable. I put a deposit down. There were 3 Polo GTI’s - one got snatched up before I even arrived, the one I was test driving was sold literally as I was test driving it, so I decided to go ahead with it. I didn’t want to risk losing out and I suspect the price of cars will go up next year with Brexit.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

jazzyr85 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:56 pm I loved the test drive. The seat is noticeably less padded than the golf but my legs were comfortable. I put a deposit down. There were 3 Polo GTI’s - one got snatched up before I even arrived, the one I was test driving was sold literally as I was test driving it, so I decided to go ahead with it. I didn’t want to risk losing out and I suspect the price of cars will go up next year with Brexit.
So is it a GTI or a GTI+ you're getting? The non-plus is seriously bare bones on the equipment front.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

jazzyr85 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:56 pm I loved the test drive. The seat is noticeably less padded than the golf but my legs were comfortable. I put a deposit down. There were 3 Polo GTI’s - one got snatched up before I even arrived, the one I was test driving was sold literally as I was test driving it, so I decided to go ahead with it. I didn’t want to risk losing out and I suspect the price of cars will go up next year with Brexit.
Glad you liked it. I’ve had my GTI+ around 6-7 weeks now - it replaced a previous generation model Polo GTI. I find mine really comfortable and the ride on 18” wheels is less firm / more compliant than my previous car, and that was on 17” wheels.

What colour and spec is the car you’re getting?
jazzyr85
New

Post by jazzyr85 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:25 pm
So is it a GTI or a GTI+ you're getting? The non-plus is seriously bare bones on the equipment front.
Sorry, it's GTI+ - all 3 of the GTI's they had were GTI+
jazzyr85
New

Post by jazzyr85 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Glad you liked it. I’ve had my GTI+ around 6-7 weeks now - it replaced a previous generation model Polo GTI. I find mine really comfortable and the ride on 18” wheels is less firm / more compliant than my previous car, and that was on 17” wheels.

It's a white GTI+

It's funny because I said I was going to take the white one at first. But then I saw the blue advertised and thought I'd take that one instead. It was sold just before I arrived. The remaining two were a grey and a white one. I took the grey for a test drive and someone claimed it while I was out driving it. So I decided to take the white one as it was the only one left and I didn't want to risk losing out given how quickly they seem to sell.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

jazzyr85 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:46 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:31 pm

It's a white GTI+

It's funny because I said I was going to take the white one at first. But then I saw the blue advertised and thought I'd take that one instead. It was sold just before I arrived. The remaining two were a grey and a white one. I took the grey for a test drive and someone claimed it while I was out driving it. So I decided to take the white one as it was the only one left and I didn't want to risk losing out given how quickly they seem to sell.
Fantastic glad it worked out and you’ve bought one 8) White is very popular on the GTI and shows it off well. Good equipment on the plus as well. All in all a great result!