Opinions on Rimblade’s colours???

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattB99
New
Drives: MK5 polo match

Opinions on Rimblade’s colours???

Post by MattB99 »

Hi,
Been looking at the forum for the past few months while waiting for my polo which i ordered on 21.07. Ordered an R line 115ps (now 110ps) 6-speed manual in limestone grey with the following extras;

-Pan roof
-Keyless entry
- Reverse Camera
- Bonneville 17”

As of 03.10 my order was Stage 5 and is in transit so hopefully not long now!

Looking at getting some Rimblades pro, was originally thinking of getting black however I am cautious that this may make the alloys look smaller. Now I’m thinking red, do you think this will colour will contrast well with the Limestone grey?
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Opinions on Rimblade’s colours???

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Never really been a fan of rimblades and always seen them as a bit gimmicky as their function is to protect the alloys the tyres should have enough extra width over the alloy to protect them and as I see it a plastic material is not going to stop the force of a car against a kerb causing damage. Maybe i'm wrong each to their own but if it was me i'd just be sticking wider tyres on it but if you are going with them, i'd go black... but what do I know.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’m not keen on them - and I think the brighter coloured ones cheapen the look of the car; that’s just my opinion though, and we all like different things, which is a good thing IMO. They may offer a degree of protection against very minor brushes with a kerb, but as @Stuart_Rendall has said, they probably won’t offer much protection in other potential wheel damage scenarios.

Of the two better known products alloy wheel protection products - Rimblades and Alloygators - I’d say that the method of attaching Rimblades is preferable to the ‘hammer on’ method that’s used to fit Alloygators. If I was to consider fitting a product such as this, I’d be asking myself the following questions;
  • what happens when you need new tyres fitted? Is the Rimblade destroyed or damaged by the tyre changing machine, meaning you’d need to fit a new one? If so, would removing the old Rimblade’s adhesive material from the wheel edge damage the wheel’s lacquered surface?
  • How strong is the adhesive that’s used to stick the Rimblade to the wheel and what is the risk of the Rimblade detaching itself from the wheel when you’re driving along? A loose, flapping end of a Rimblade could damage a wing or wheel arch if it hits the car bodywork with each revolution of the wheel, especially if the car’s travelling at speed.
  • Can dirt and grit get between the Rimblade and the wheel and damage the lacquered surface of diamond cut wheels like Bonneville alloys? If so, then the action of dirt and grit behind the Rimblade rubbing against the wheel could result in the ingress of water and road spray under the damaged lacquered surface, with the outcome being white worm corrosion.
I personally wouldn’t fit them to my car but if I did, I’d go the subtle look, so not a bright colour. I’d probably go for black.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:10 pm I’m not keen on them - and I think the brighter coloured ones cheapen the look of the car; that’s just my opinion though, and we all like different things, which is a good thing IMO. They may offer a degree of protection against very minor brushes with a kerb, but as @Stuart_Rendall has said, they probably won’t offer much protection in other potential wheel damage scenarios.

Of the two better known products alloy wheel protection products - Rimblades and Alloygators - I’d say that the method of attaching Rimblades is preferable to the ‘hammer on’ method that’s used to fit Alloygators. If I was to consider fitting a product such as this, I’d be asking myself the following questions;
  • what happens when you need new tyres fitted? Is the Rimblade destroyed or damaged by the tyre changing machine, meaning you’d need to fit a new one? If so, would removing the old Rimblade’s adhesive material from the wheel edge damage the wheel’s lacquered surface?
  • How strong is the adhesive that’s used to stick the Rimblade to the wheel and what is the risk of the Rimblade detaching itself from the wheel when you’re driving along? A loose, flapping end of a Rimblade could damage a wing or wheel arch if it hits the car bodywork with each revolution of the wheel, especially if the car’s travelling at speed.
  • Can dirt and grit get between the Rimblade and the wheel and damage the lacquered surface of diamond cut wheels like Bonneville alloys? If so, then the action of dirt and grit behind the Rimblade rubbing against the wheel could result in the ingress of water and road spray under the damaged lacquered surface, with the outcome being white worm corrosion.
I personally wouldn’t fit them to my car but if I did, I’d go the subtle look, so not a bright colour. I’d probably go for black.
Hi, you raise some good points and also ones that I took into mind when I bought my Rimblade Pro's.

Just to answer your questions as others might also find them useful....

1) You have to remove the Rimblade when having new tyres fitted, they are easily removed. My wheels were in perfect condition where the Rimblades had been fitted, I used a rubber "toffee" wheel to remove the glue, very quick and easy (something else I was dubious of using!!) I have bought a roll of 3M tape and cut it too width and reused the original Rimblade after cleaning again after new tyres fitted with no problems.

2) Rimblade Pro's use 3M double sided tape, this is perfectly fine for general usage as I have been using it for. A side on knock to the Rimblade takes the hit fine but you should remove the Rimblade immediately if any part of it has become slightly detached, otherwise the motion of the wheels will cause it to detach at speed. I have sadly damaged my wheels due to a downward scuff (slipped off a kerb during a driving lesson) and this offered zero protection.