Polo GTI Issues(AW)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Re: Polo GTI Issues(AW)

Post by green justin »

Hi

Headlights are adjusted on VW diagnostic Computer. which adjust the beams and beam throw and start up etc . Dont adjust the screws with a screwdriver, you could break the headlight LED motor. 15mins at the dealership and you are off.

Regards
ShamzGTI
New
Drives: AW GTI

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hi guys.

Yes i agree the lights out of the factory are focused really crap. My car is going in next week for the new PDC sensor so will have it adjusted by them one time. They did mention that the motor might break if self adjusted without the correct process or releasing the headlight motor.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Oh well, I suppose one advantage of Gti's without LED lights is that we can adjust ourselves at home. 8)
My dipped beam is acceptable now, main beam is still utterly useless.
But I can't fathom which 'white screw' does main beam up/down, so I've left it for now.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

I adjusted it myself with a screwdriver in my GTI without any adverse consequences. As did many others. So I think the broken motor warning is an urban myth.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rosinfield wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:38 am I adjusted it myself with a screwdriver in my GTI without any adverse consequences. As did many others. So I think the broken motor warning is an urban myth.
I gave mine a full turn on the slots to raise them too. Its possible that you can adjust the resting point with plugging in and letting the levelling motors do the work, with the provision of a little adjustability via the screwdriver holes e.g 1 or 2 full turns.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Anyone used OBDEleven on their AW GTI?
I had VW adjust them and im happy now. Just as an FYI does anyone know if the OBD can set the car into service mod to make the headlight adjustments?
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hey Guys just an update:

1. Front PDC detects invisible objects(Car has been to VW many times now for this issue, first they attempted a software update, second time they found the PDC connection wasn't in properly, now they decided to order a new sensor after still experiencing the same issue)
Issue has been resolved by replacing faulty sensor
2. Car vibrates a bit at him speeds if road force balancing is not done. With Normal high speed balancing I notice the car has a vibration. Car suspension and brakes has been check by VW and a Audi mech, all seems fine, Rims are straight had it checked by 3 diff places.
Seems better after finally changing to Michelin Pilot Sport 4, cannot believe how awful the Bridgestone were.
3. Handbrake rattles, VW cannot fix this, little volume on the radio and the sound balances however still annoying.
VW was completely useless with this fix, I opened the cover and sprayed the inside with a rubber Spray, rattles seem to have gone for now.
4. Brakes hum when reversing, Car sent in yet again for software update which resolved the issue for a week only. (again vw claim nothing else can be done)
No hope just have to live with it I guess.
5. Noticed the headlights switch on randomly for a few seconds and switch off. Today has been the has been the first time I noticed this. Not sure if its the switch or a fuse. will have to check in the morning.
VW Claim no errors were returned, headlight switch was checked and fuse was checked. Have to monitor and see if this occurs again.
6. Noticed the Auto headlight switch doesnt detect light correctly. Around 4pm while the sun is still striking the headlights switch on(Car has the LED lights and vision package)
Will live with this, not a train smash
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

The only issue I have with my GTI is the fuel consumption data resetting to zero completely randomly, mentioned it to tech at 1st service, I got the impression he didn’t believe me , it seems to reset more when the ambient temperature is higher, ??????
It does do the mooing noise in reverse but I don’t drive far in reverse!!! So it doesn’t bother me ,
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Mine’s been pretty issue-free since I got it 2.5 months ago.

A couple of instances of mild mooing from the brakes when reversing after washing the car. When I last bought petrol and locked the car before going to pay, the nearside door mirror didn’t fold in (the driver’s side mirror folded as normal). It’s not misbehaved since, but I’ll keep an eye on it. I can remember one or two owners on the forum in the early days of the GTI mentioning the firm ride on the 18” Brescia alloys. I’ve got these on my car and find the ride is pretty compliant - much more so than the ride in my previous GTI which was on 17” alloys. I suppose it’s all relative though and depends on what you were driving before.

No issues with creaks and rattles (yet). A minor annoyance is the relatively small fuel tank - smaller than the tank on my previous 2016 Polo GTI.
fran_92
New
Drives: Polo GTI 200hp

Post by fran_92 »

Mike222 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 am The only issue I have with my GTI is the fuel consumption data resetting to zero completely randomly, mentioned it to tech at 1st service, I got the impression he didn’t believe me , it seems to reset more when the ambient temperature is higher, ??????
It does do the mooing noise in reverse but I don’t drive far in reverse!!! So it doesn’t bother me ,
I have the same problem: the fuel consumption data resets randomly. I have not found any pattern.. it is like the radio module resets, because when it happens, the radio clock resets too..
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

At last someone else with the same problem, if it gets resolved let me know, perhaps if you’re VW dealer is more forthcoming than mine .
Pirate Pugwash
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi+

Post by Pirate Pugwash »

fran_92 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:24 am
Mike222 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 am The only issue I have with my GTI is the fuel consumption data resetting to zero completely randomly, mentioned it to tech at 1st service, I got the impression he didn’t believe me , it seems to reset more when the ambient temperature is higher, ??????
I have the same problem: the fuel consumption data resets randomly. I have not found any pattern.. it is like the radio module resets, because when it happens, the radio clock resets too..
There is a short thread specific to this somewhere on here. I have the same issue and VW authorised a replacement infotainment system under warranty. Sadly it didn't solve the problem so the car went back in for further investigation. Latest update is that this is a known issue which affects some vehicles and VW are working on a fix, which I think is their code for not really knowing what the problem is. The car is still usable and I enjoy driving it but it is annoying, particularly losing the long term fuel consumption when it resets.
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

Thanks for that , good to know it’s now a known problem and will hopefully be resolved in the future . Let me know if you have any more information.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

I havent had my fuel consumption reset on me randomly. Jutmst the usual reset when u fill up. If possible to get that recorded maybe with a dashcam or something might help. I know with the PDC issue VW didnt seem like they believed me until I recorded it.
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Post by Iamnotbarry »

ShamzGTI wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 am I havent had my fuel consumption reset on me randomly. Jutmst the usual reset when u fill up. If possible to get that recorded maybe with a dashcam or something might help. I know with the PDC issue VW didnt seem like they believed me until I recorded it.
When you fill up does the trip counter reset?
I have an issue where the trip resets to zero and the date/time goes to 00:00 and a random date.
However I've not noticed when it does this. Will check next time I fill the tank up.