Polo GTI Issues(AW)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ShamzGTI
New
Drives: AW GTI

Polo GTI Issues(AW)

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hey Guys,

So I have my polo GTI for 2 years now. I have a few issues to note, not sure if anyone else has experienced these issues. Please share if you had these issues before and how you resolved them.
1. Front PDC detects invisible objects(Car has been to VW many times now for this issue, first they attempted a software update, second time they found the PDC connection wasn't in properly, now they decided to order a new sensor after still experiencing the same issue)
2. Car vibrates a bit at him speeds if road force balancing is not done. With Normal high speed balancing I notice the car has a vibration. Car suspension and brakes has been check by VW and a Audi mech, all seems fine, Rims are straight had it checked by 3 diff places.
3. Handbrake rattles, VW cannot fix this, little volume on the radio and the sound balances however still annoying.
4. Brakes hum when reversing, Car sent in yet again for software update which resolved the issue for a week only. (again vw claim nothing else can be done)
5. Noticed the headlights switch on randomly for a few seconds and switch off. Today has been the has been the first time I noticed this. Not sure if its the switch or a fuse. will have to check in the morning.
6. Noticed the Auto headlight switch doesnt detect light correctly. Around 4pm while the sun is still striking the headlights switch on(Car has the LED lights and vision package)

Regards,
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Re: Polo GTI Issues(AW)

Post by mjsaville »

Hi Shamz,

Point 2 - What tyres are on the car, are they the original set. What mileage are on them?
Here in the uk Volkswagen fit Bridgestones as standard (really hard compound), I've changed ours to Michelin Pilot 4S and huge improvement, less road noise. Might be a thought?

Cheers

Mj
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

So your lights come on at 4pm under auto light setting?

Nothing wrong there I suspect. The light sensor comes on when the lumens drop to a certain level. It might not seem dark or darkening to you but when it's now pitch black at 5pm, auto lights coming on at 4pm seems reasonable.

The mooing brakes are unfortunate/embarrassing but braking performance is unaffected and it's not uniquely a Polo or even a VAG problem. Many marques and models siffer from this with the use of harder compound pads on single (non-vented) rear discs. It's a vibrational resonance based noise.

Buzzing handbrake button is easily resolved by pushing a bit of felt in the gap between button and the hole the button presses into.

Can't help with the other stuff.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I'm unable to answer all the questions but can answer as follows:
1. Front PDC detects invisible objects(Car has been to VW many times now for this issue, first they attempted a software update, second time they found the PDC connection wasn't in properly, now they decided to order a new sensor after still experiencing the same issue)

I've had similar with rear sensors but thankfully it doesnt happen to often

3. Handbrake rattles, VW cannot fix this, little volume on the radio and the sound balances however still annoying.

This was also a recall issue from VW so maybe mention it to them when next there.

4. Brakes hum when reversing, Car sent in yet again for software update which resolved the issue for a week only. (again vw claim nothing else can be done)

I've accepted it and think of them as my own carbon ceramic brakes :P
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Hi,

Did they put your car on a 4D wheel alignment system?
Not all dealerships have this as it is quite costly.

The handbrake noise, small amount of white silicone grease fixes the issue.

Regards
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I've noticed with auto headlights that low/dazzling sunshine hitting the car can put the auto headlights on.
This is on various cars, not just VW.
The fact it happens on various cars suggests to me it's a deliberate safety feature, as headlights will help other people see you in dazzling sun.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

mjsaville wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:16 pm Hi Shamz,

Point 2 - What tyres are on the car, are they the original set. What mileage are on them?
Here in the uk Volkswagen fit Bridgestones as standard (really hard compound), I've changed ours to Michelin Pilot 4S and huge improvement, less road noise. Might be a thought?

Cheers

Mj
Hi Mj,

I still have the Bridgestones that came with the car. Car has about 24000km(15000miles). Tyres still seems good about 50% life left.
I have ordered Michelins P4s, just waiting on stock to arrive. Not happy with the Bridgestones its too hard and I am not keen on them especially in the wet.

regards
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:22 pm So your lights come on at 4pm under auto light setting?

Nothing wrong there I suspect. The light sensor comes on when the lumens drop to a certain level. It might not seem dark or darkening to you but when it's now pitch black at 5pm, auto lights coming on at 4pm seems reasonable.

The mooing brakes are unfortunate/embarrassing but braking performance is unaffected and it's not uniquely a Polo or even a VAG problem. Many marques and models siffer from this with the use of harder compound pads on single (non-vented) rear discs. It's a vibrational resonance based noise.

Buzzing handbrake button is easily resolved by pushing a bit of felt in the gap between button and the hole the button presses into.

Can't help with the other stuff.
Hi

Will def try some felt on the handbrake rattle.
Will see if the headlight settings can be changed, did not seem to experience this with my previous model Polo GTI though

regards
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 pm I'm unable to answer all the questions but can answer as follows:

I've had similar with rear sensors but thankfully it doesnt happen to often

This was also a recall issue from VW so maybe mention it to them when next there.

I've accepted it and think of them as my own carbon ceramic brakes :P
Hi OomStu,

VW finally confirmed Thursday for a new sensor. Cannot wait, currently got my PDC auto detect off else its a everyday story.
As for the handbrake I am aware of of the recall. My car was sent in and nothing changed it rattles but I must admit its not as frequent anymore. Will try to put in some felt to stop it, A friend also told me to open it up and use a rubber coating spray. Will try it out when I get a chance.
As for the brakes lol I have had 2 people approach me and ask if my car has ceramics and if it came from VW with ceramics :lol: Its a rather sick sounding version of ceramics :lol:
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

green justin wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:25 am Hi,

Did they put your car on a 4D wheel alignment system?
Not all dealerships have this as it is quite costly.

The handbrake noise, small amount of white silicone grease fixes the issue.

Regards
Hi Justin,

Nope just 3D wheel alignment at the places I have taken the car too. Not sure if there is 4D wheel alignment around here.
VW has done wheel alignment as well but Im not sure if its 3D or 4D. Rather doubtful they have 4D either.

Regards
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:37 am I've noticed with auto headlights that low/dazzling sunshine hitting the car can put the auto headlights on.
This is on various cars, not just VW.
The fact it happens on various cars suggests to me it's a deliberate safety feature, as headlights will help other people see you in dazzling sun.
Thanks Andy, Will see if VW can manually reprogram it.
I know when I got the car the headlights didnt seem to cover enough distance so they raised that for me.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Speaking of headlights, I drove our daughter's 7 year old Seat Mii (a rebadged VW UP) for the first time in the dark on Friday night.
My god, I wish my car had those headlights. :shock:
How the hell can they get them so right on one car and so wrong on the Polo? :?:
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:29 am Speaking of headlights, I drove our daughter's 7 year old Seat Mii (a rebadged VW UP) for the first time in the dark on Friday night.
My god, I wish my car had those headlights. :shock:
How the hell can they get them so right on one car and so wrong on the Polo? :?:
Dont get me wrong. The headlights are pretty good. They light up your way very well. Just not happy about them switching on too soon. Or randomly when locked.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

ShamzGTI wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:45 pm Dont get me wrong. The headlights are pretty good.
Not in the UK they're not.
Both my AW Polos, the alignment straight out of the factory is terrible and only lights up a few feet in front of the car.
Manual adjustment with a screwdriver does make a difference, but an owner shouldn't have to do this.
Many won't, and they will have no option but to drive slower than they need to at night.
Owners with LED lights report the same issue, the beam being way too low.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:52 pm
ShamzGTI wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:45 pm Dont get me wrong. The headlights are pretty good.
Not in the UK they're not.
Both my AW Polos, the alignment straight out of the factory is terrible and only lights up a few feet in front of the car.
Manual adjustment with a screwdriver does make a difference, but an owner shouldn't have to do this.
Many won't, and they will have no option but to drive slower than they need to at night.
Owners with LED lights report the same issue, the beam being way too low.
VW always seem to err on the side of caution with headlight beam height, I've adjusted height on Polos, Golfs and Sciroccos in the past. They only seem to get it right for Xenon. It's a 2 minute DIY job or ask the dealership to do it FOC.

I do wonder whether beam height is set up with the transport pucks in place on the front shocks, raising the front end slightly, or whether they're put in at the port.

The dealership forgot to take them out of my 2013 Golf GTD. The ride was brutal for a week until I found them stuffed up the front shocks gaiters (rear shocks don't get pucks).