Fitting skis inside the Polo

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
NotAThrowaway
New
Drives: N/A

Fitting skis inside the Polo

Post by NotAThrowaway »

Hi folks, potential buyer here and figured someone here might know.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to transport skis inside of the Polo (no longer than 180cm), without needing to use an external rack? I'm thinking of folding the two rear seats (or even just the single if possible) and running the skis between the passenger seat and the central console.

Before people ask I'd rather avoid the faff and extra space needed for an external rack or exposing the skis to all the salt on the roads.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Fitting skis inside the Polo

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've had 2.4m lengths of wood in the polo before, but I did have to have it running diagonally from the rear drivers side corner of the boot into the front passenger footwell.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

I have carried skis in my BlueGt (my2016) no problem (170cm) : can't remember how just now - will give it a go tomorrow and let you know
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

albob wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:10 pm I have carried skis in my BlueGt (my2016) no problem (170cm) : can't remember how just now - will give it a go tomorrow and let you know
I believe the BlueGT is the previous gen Polo so dimensions are most likely different.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:16 pm
albob wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:10 pm I have carried skis in my BlueGt (my2016) no problem (170cm) : can't remember how just now - will give it a go tomorrow and let you know
I believe the BlueGT is the previous gen Polo so dimensions are most likely different.
Yes, the dimensions will be different; the previous generation car is smaller - internally and externally.

I owned a previous generation Polo GTI before my GTI+. I carried 2.4m lengths of timber in my smaller, previous generation car. I did have to rest one end of the timber on top of the dashboard though, and access to the handbrake and gear lever was a little restricted.

As for the OP carrying 180cm skis in the current model Polo between the front seats; if the car doesn’t have a front armrest, I’m wondering if the end of the skis might impede use of the handbrake or changing gear (if the car’s a manual). If the car does have a front armrest, then the skis could rest on top of the armrest - probably best to strap one end of the skis to the armrest lid to avoid them sliding forward if it’s necessary to brake hard.

I’m not certain, but I think I have some 1.8m lengths of timber in my garage; I’ll check tomorrow and if I have, I’ll try them in the car and take some pictures, which I’ll post up tomorrow.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

I'm working on the basis that if the skis fit my (smaller) car, they will certainly fit the OP's car....

Anyway -- a pair of 170cms skis will fit straight down the middle of the car (66 reg) with right-hand passenger seat folded down. They protrude between the front seats as far as the base of
the handbrake ; which could be annoying on a long journey ; tails to the front would help

Having said that -- not much chance of Skiing this year (Damn Covid) ; Scotland beckons :)
NotAThrowaway
New

Post by NotAThrowaway »

Thanks folks, some really useful information here :)

Yeah, I'm thinking tails up front to be less annoying. If it would be at the foot of the handbrake then that might not be too bad.

Also the lack of cruise control on second hands is a bit of a bummer for driving on the A9 and M90, but maybe someone could retrofit that.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@NotAThrowaway; Here’s a couple of photos of a 1.8m length of timber in my car.

One end of the timber is tight up against the back edge of the boot so you can see how far the other end protrudes through between the front seats.
A4D0D818-5A13-4626-8251-22EB8CB92FB5.jpeg
A4D0D818-5A13-4626-8251-22EB8CB92FB5.jpeg (5.26 MiB) Viewed 3689 times
FB386EC6-89D7-494F-940E-E18F550880DB.jpeg
FB386EC6-89D7-494F-940E-E18F550880DB.jpeg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 3689 times
The front end of the length of timber is resting on the folded section of the rear seat backrest rather than the armrest between the front seats. Use of the handbrake might be restricted a little, and you’d need to be careful your skis didn’t slide forward under braking, especially if you needed to make an emergency stop.

So your skis will fit, no problem. You might just need to give some thought to how you stop them sliding around.
NotAThrowaway
New

Post by NotAThrowaway »

@SRGTD Thank you, you're an absolute star! That answers my question perfectly :)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

NotAThrowaway wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:54 pm @SRGTD Thank you, you're an absolute star! That answers my question perfectly :)
No problem 👍; you’re welcome! 🙂.