Long Term Ownership.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Long Term Ownership.

Post by Andy Beats »

Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:42 pm Although I have a manual I also do this as a routine when I get in the car. The number of times I have been caught with engine cutting out as I change gears at junctions something that never ever happened with stop start on my previous higher powered Seat, must be a thing with the 3 pot engine on the Polo or maybe have to change my driving style with this car.
Not something I ever experienced in my 3-cylinder 'Beats' (before the Gti).
I'm struggling to think of what you could be doing to trigger this.
It should only cut out if you're approaching a stop in neutral with the clutch out.
Cutting out mid gearchange is weird.
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:42 pm Although I have a manual I also do this as a routine when I get in the car. The number of times I have been caught with engine cutting out as I change gears at junctions something that never ever happened with stop start on my previous higher powered Seat, must be a thing with the 3 pot engine on the Polo or maybe have to change my driving style with this car.
My old Peugeot used to quite often cut out/stall during a gear change or when dipping the clutch as you coasted to a stop. That car didn't have stop start, was something to do with the coil pack in the end and common on that car.

I have a DSG Polo now but I have noticed that it's quite eager to cut the engine when stop/start is enabled, especially in Eco mode it will cut out before you've even stopped. I always deactivate it.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

tom.wright wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:26 pm
My old Peugeot used to quite often cut out/stall during a gear change or when dipping the clutch as you coasted to a stop. That car didn't have stop start, was something to do with the coil pack in the end and common on that car.

I have a DSG Polo now but I have noticed that it's quite eager to cut the engine when stop/start is enabled, especially in Eco mode it will cut out before you've even stopped. I always deactivate it.
That's exactly what its like, a stall, something that has not happened since I was a learner some 50 years ago. Did it to me couple of weeks ago crossing a junction changing from 1st to 2nd while a bus was crossing behind me, stopped in middle of road when I forgot to switch off the stop / start very embarrasing!!!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:02 pm That's exactly what its like, a stall, something that has not happened since I was a learner some 50 years ago. Did it to me couple of weeks ago crossing a junction changing from 1st to 2nd while a bus was crossing behind me, stopped in middle of road when I forgot to switch off the stop / start very embarrasing!!!
Unless you're letting the clutch out when you're going via neutral, in an old-fashioned manner going back to when we had to double de-clutch on non-synchro gearboxes, this shouldn't happen.
Need to get that looked at ASAP.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

tom.wright wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Stop start cuts the engine when rolling to a stop between 1and 2mph. For me, it shouldn't cut out until you've come to a stop.

On my 2019 A4 with 7 speed wet clutch DSG, the stop-start only kills the power when you've come to a complete stop and have pressed reasonably hard on the brake pedal once the car has come to a stop. If you want to drift to a stop and not have stop-start kick in, you would be gentle on the brake pedal. Wonder why they didn't program the Polo's 2 DSG box variants like this?

On the other hand, the full engagement of 1st by the clutch on the A4's DSG seems to take forever when moving off from a stop, unlike the Polo GTI's box.

Seems like each box is programmed with at least 1 annoyance, when they could make a box which has snappy engagement, stop-start coming in too early etc.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:19 pm On the other hand, the full engagement of 1st by the clutch on the A4's DSG seems to take forever when moving off from a stop, unlike the Polo GTI's box.
Crikey, the GTi box is bad enough, if I forget to switch off the stop/start I'm surprised the delay in me getting going from lights hasn't led to people behind tooting.
I need to experiment and see if it's because I use ECO mode (the only pleasant mode available IMO)
Can't see why, but I'll investigate and eliminate the possibility out of sheer interest.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:08 pm
Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:02 pm That's exactly what its like, a stall, something that has not happened since I was a learner some 50 years ago. Did it to me couple of weeks ago crossing a junction changing from 1st to 2nd while a bus was crossing behind me, stopped in middle of road when I forgot to switch off the stop / start very embarrasing!!!
Unless you're letting the clutch out when you're going via neutral, in an old-fashioned manner going back to when we had to double de-clutch on non-synchro gearboxes, this shouldn't happen.
Need to get that looked at ASAP.

I am sure it is just me and this particular car. I will have to be disciplined and just turn it off each and every time I get in the car. I have noticed that I have to use the gears a lot more compared to my last car and think it is just a matter of changing my driving style with this car. I have only done just over 2k miles in 9 months so not driving the miles I did before Covid which were 8-10 k.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:19 pm On the other hand, the full engagement of 1st by the clutch on the A4's DSG seems to take forever when moving off from a stop, unlike the Polo GTI's box.
Crikey, the GTi box is bad enough, if I forget to switch off the stop/start I'm surprised the delay in me getting going from lights hasn't led to people behind tooting.
I need to experiment and see if it's because I use ECO mode (the only pleasant mode available IMO)
Can't see why, but I'll investigate and eliminate the possibility out of sheer interest.
I don't use ECO mode and if I do forget to turn off stop/start there is virtually no delay when setting off.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

S_94 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:48 am I don't use ECO mode and if I do forget to turn off stop/start there is virtually no delay when setting off.
I'll try 'normal' mode tonight and see if that makes it less sleepy at lights.
I'll be annoyed if it does, as it's not a mode I like, far too jerky slowing down.
I suppose I'll just have to stick with ECO and try to remember to switch stop/start off.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:17 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:48 am I don't use ECO mode and if I do forget to turn off stop/start there is virtually no delay when setting off.
I'll try 'normal' mode tonight and see if that makes it less sleepy at lights.
I'll be annoyed if it does, as it's not a mode I like, far too jerky slowing down.
I suppose I'll just have to stick with ECO and try to remember to switch stop/start off.
I'll give it a try in ECO and see if mine is a bit sluggish off the mark. I've got mine in 'Individual mode' and yeah the jerkiness of the car when coming down the gears really annoys me.

I like having the engine in Sport so something I've got to deal with... :roll:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Eco is sluggish and labours the engine in a high gear all the time, with a seriously dulled throttle response. I'd take responsiveness over comfort any day of the week - it's a hot hatch after all! :D
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve never used ECO and don’t intend to. I’ve rarely checked the mpg in my 3 months ownership either. I didn’t buy a hot hatch to use ECO mode or worry about whether I’m getting 35 mpg, 40 mpg, 45 mpg or some other figure...........🤔
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 pm I’ve never used ECO and don’t intend to. I’ve rarely checked the mpg in my 3 months ownership either. I didn’t buy a hot hatch to use ECO mode or worry about whether I’m getting 35 mpg, 40 mpg, 45 mpg or some other figure...........🤔
That's not why I use it, myself.
I use it because it avoids the jerky downchanges you get when using normal.
The car slows down in a much nicer manner, like you would expect an auto to (or a smooth manual driver).
If I'm using D, it's because I want it to drive like an auto - smoothly.
Not like a learner that can't change down properly.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Our GTI+ is exactly 1 year old, but has covered a mere 4,500 miles. Good old 2020.

Squeaky rear brakes have cured themselves. But I do give the brakes an occasional work out to remove the dust and shine.

Squeaky wipers cured with new Bosch blades. Disappointing OEM blades should be better.

We’ve had several DSG cars and I can’t fault them. You will be disappointed if you simply stick it in ECO mode and expect it to handle every circumstance as you trundle round the countryside. The Mode selection switch and the paddles are there for a reason. Flip / Flop between modes as the situation demands gets you there without hassle.

Outright performance is relatively “blistering” compared to most other traffic - accepting that modern auto cars don’t let you reach the Rev limiter any more due to the auto upshift.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Boxerboy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:28 pm Our GTI+ is exactly 1 year old, but has covered a mere 4,500 miles. Good old 2020.

Squeaky rear brakes have cured themselves. But I do give the brakes an occasional work out to remove the dust and shine.

Squeaky wipers cured with new Bosch blades. Disappointing OEM blades should be better.

We’ve had several DSG cars and I can’t fault them. You will be disappointed if you simply stick it in ECO mode and expect it to handle every circumstance as you trundle round the countryside. The Mode selection switch and the paddles are there for a reason. Flip / Flop between modes as the situation demands gets you there without hassle.

Outright performance is relatively “blistering” compared to most other traffic - accepting that modern auto cars don’t let you reach the Rev limiter any more due to the auto upshift.
Giving the brakes a workout doesn't cure the noisy brakes, I brake from 'very naughty' speeds down to zero every night on my way home.
With regard to the red line thing, many DSG-type cars will let you rev them out when you're using manual mode.
Back in 2005 when DSG came to be, audi-sport.net was full of owners objecting to the auto change up in manaul mode.
Many wanted to be able to hold a gear, not have the car slap their wrists and change up for them