Long Term Ownership.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Long Term Ownership.

Post by S_94 »

Brilliant glad it's sorted! :)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:30 pm Brilliant glad it's sorted! :)
Yes, it can be quite worrying if you don’t know why a car is behaving in a particular way! I remember when my first DPF equipped diesel Golf performed a DPF regen and there was a strong burning smell. I thought the car was on fire!

@S_94; I’ve sent you a PM but it might not have been successful - is your in box full?
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm
Yes, it can be quite worrying if you don’t know why a car is behaving in a particular way! I remember when my first DPF equipped diesel Golf performed a DPF regen and there was a strong burning smell. I thought the car was on fire!

@S_94; I’ve sent you a PM but it might not have been successful - is your in box full?
I've got it mate, thanks!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Think the issue is my normal work journey is 30 miles and I leave it normal mode but I’ve been in eco since Christmas as it’s been slippy round us and it blunts the throttle a bit. I’ve also been doing short journeys not really getting up to any speed.

I think monkeyhanger said a while back engine breaking helps clear the GPF and eco disables this engine breaking. Seemed to clear quicker than my old gtd with dpf did so not a hardship.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm I think monkeyhanger said a while back engine breaking helps clear the GPF
Well, yeah, a broken engine would be the end of GPF problems...... :wink:
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:33 pm [quote=lancslad1985 post_id=579128 time=<a href="tel:1610205165">1610205165</a> user_id=15903]
I think monkeyhanger said a while back engine breaking helps clear the GPF
Well, yeah, a broken engine would be the end of GPF problems...... :wink:
[/quote]

Haha, bloody autocorrect in my phone. Annoys the hell out of me!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

This morning when I started up all appeared fine until the vehicle reached normal operating tempreture (43000KM on odo). At first the car seemed very jerky and when applying power it felt as if the engine was cutting out (like a miss fire). Not long after that the EPC light came on and the vehicle went into limp mode informing me via he infotainment screen not to travel above 4000RPM.

I made my way to the VW dealer and asked them to investigate as I suspect it may be OPF related but it seems the ZA Polo isnt equipped with an OPF filter (even after Sep '18 madatory fitment for the EU spec). Once the vehicle was placed on the diagnostic machine the tech let me know that injectors 1 and 2 had carbon depsosit build up which he "removed" but said if it happens again they will need to open things up and do a proper clean out. Guess its a case of when it happens, not if.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm This morning when I started up all appeared fine until the vehicle reached normal operating tempreture (43000KM on odo). At first the car seemed very jerky and when applying power it felt as if the engine was cutting out (like a miss fire). Not long after that the EPC light came on and the vehicle went into limp mode informing me via he infotainment screen not to travel above 4000RPM.

I made my way to the VW dealer and asked them to investigate as I suspect it may be OPF related but it seems the ZA Polo isnt equipped with an OPF filter (even after Sep '18 madatory fitment for the EU spec). Once the vehicle was placed on the diagnostic machine the tech let me know that injectors 1 and 2 had carbon depsosit build up which he "removed" but said if it happens again they will need to open things up and do a proper clean out. Guess its a case of when it happens, not if.
What's fuel quality like over there? Maybe you'll need to start using a fuel additive?.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm What's fuel quality like over there? Maybe you'll need to start using a fuel additive?.
As far as I recall we have 95 Unleaded at the coast while inland (higher altitude) they use 93. I personally fill up at a Shell service station close to me.
https://www.shell.co.za/motorists/shell ... eaded.html
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:48 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm What's fuel quality like over there? Maybe you'll need to start using a fuel additive?.
As far as I recall we have 95 Unleaded at the coast while inland (higher altitude) they use 93. I personally fill up at a Shell service station close to me.
Maybe you should consider using Caltex, the Techron cleaning additive of Caltex unleaded petrol can at least clean the injector.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

ho8882000 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Maybe you should consider using Caltex, the Techron cleaning additive of Caltex unleaded petrol can at least clean the injector.
I should hey, but then I lose out on my V+ points :P
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:43 pm
ho8882000 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm

I should hey, but then I lose out on my V+ points :P
Is you're using Shell V+ (which I assume is the best you can get and is full of additives), cooking of the injectors shouldn't happen.

We have Shell V-power in the UK, which is RON99 and packed full of detergents according to the marketing documentation. As the Polo GTI 2.0TSI is optimised for RON95 fuel, buying V-power at a 10-15% premium over normal RON-95 is a huge waste of money IMO and I don't pay the extra over regular RON95 for it.

Shell is considered great stuff the world over, surprised your injectors are getting coked up with it unless your car is running really rich.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm

We have Shell V-power in the UK, which is RON99 and packed full of detergents according to the marketing documentation. As the Polo GTI 2.0TSI is optimised for RON95 fuel, buying V-power at a 10-15% premium over normal RON-95 is a huge waste of money IMO and I don't pay the extra over regular RON95 for it.

I agree.
At the same time, I can't deny that on some occasions where I've put V-power petrol or diesel in cars of mine there has been noticeable differences in running.
Sometimes bad, where my diesel A3 started 'hunting' really badly on a constant throttle at 40mph and I couldn't wait to get normal diesel back in.
Sometimes good, where the car starts running noticeably smoother and it couldn't be dismissed as a 'placebo' effect.
God knows.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am
Boxerboy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:28 pm Our GTI+ is exactly 1 year old, but has covered a mere 4,500 miles. Good old 2020.

Squeaky rear brakes have cured themselves. But I do give the brakes an occasional work out to remove the dust and shine.

Squeaky wipers cured with new Bosch blades. Disappointing OEM blades should be better.

We’ve had several DSG cars and I can’t fault them. You will be disappointed if you simply stick it in ECO mode and expect it to handle every circumstance as you trundle round the countryside. The Mode selection switch and the paddles are there for a reason. Flip / Flop between modes as the situation demands gets you there without hassle.

Outright performance is relatively “blistering” compared to most other traffic - accepting that modern auto cars don’t let you reach the Rev limiter any more due to the auto upshift.
Giving the brakes a workout doesn't cure the noisy brakes, I brake from 'very naughty' speeds down to zero every night on my way home.
With regard to the red line thing, many DSG-type cars will let you rev them out when you're using manual mode.
Back in 2005 when DSG came to be, audi-sport.net was full of owners objecting to the auto change up in manaul mode.
Many wanted to be able to hold a gear, not have the car slap their wrists and change up for them
I’ve yet to meet one. They’ve all changed up before the “red line”. As per handbook.