Long Term Ownership.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Long Term Ownership.

Post by Andy Beats »

Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm I got a 1.0 115bhp DSG SEL I’ve had it from new in October 2019. Up to now I have had no problems at all with 11,000 miles on the clock, I get around 60MPG on a run it’s smooth and quiet.

I did add a few optional extras like LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control, reversing camera, folding wing mirrors and the digital dashboard so I got the car more a less how I want it.

I do intend keep it long term why electric cars improve a bit more and be more affordable and the infrastructure improves bit more.
Can you define affordable?
I dare say your car wasn't cheap, you might find you're closer to many EVs than you think.
And if you've only done 11000 miles in 14 months you're evidently not a driver that does hundreds of miles at a time, so why do you need the infrastructure to improve?
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I’ve had my SEL polo for around a year and 9 months now. It’s been a great little car, with the odd problem from new. First issue I had was the driver side air vent wasn’t working, and had it replaced under warranty. Second issue was the hand brake was not tight enough, Volkswagen identified and tightened FOC. third issue is the steering wheel is ever so slightly turned to the right when driving straight. It bothers me so I’m going to get Volkswagen to sort it out for a 1’ sake of steering alignment, they probably wouldn’t even notice 😂. Fourth issue was the front and rear window wipers scraping the windscreen making an awful nose in the rain. They were Bosch Aerotwins. Replaced with new ones, exactly the same issue. Installed Valeo Silent one’s and it’s one of the best things I’ve done! Absolutely no noise even if they’re operating on a dry screen! Fifth issue is the engine Managment light came on in the spring. Took it to Volkswagen Chelmsford multiple times, couldn’t identify the issue and thought it was a software update. They also forgot to put my undertray back on so had to pay for a new one as they didn’t know where it was, and I couldn’t prove it was them. Took it to Volkswagen Romford and immediately they found an issue with the EGR valve. Replaced this under warranty and car drives much better. However engine light came back on and then Volkswagen Romford identified the DPF is faulty due to the long period of time operating with a bad EGR cooler (thanks to Chelmsford Volkswagen not diagnosing it even know I had a DPF fault code every time I took it to them!) Volkswagen Romford have ordered a new DPF and it has been on back order for 2 months, I’m assuming due to COVID. Final issue is the rear window wiper mechanism is making a loose scuttle sound when in use, almost like the gearing is swirling around water. Going to have this looked into when the DPF is ready to be installed. Other than that everything else is spot on and I love this car.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:55 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm I got a 1.0 115bhp DSG SEL I’ve had it from new in October 2019. Up to now I have had no problems at all with 11,000 miles on the clock, I get around 60MPG on a run it’s smooth and quiet.

I did add a few optional extras like LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control, reversing camera, folding wing mirrors and the digital dashboard so I got the car more a less how I want it.

I do intend keep it long term why electric cars improve a bit more and be more affordable and the infrastructure improves bit more.
Can you define affordable?
I dare say your car wasn't cheap, you might find you're closer to many EVs than you think.
And if you've only done 11000 miles in 14 months you're evidently not a driver that does hundreds of miles at a time, so why do you need the infrastructure to improve?
I payed around £23k for it on deal I got. I usualy do around 13000-14000 miles a year but this corona virus as prevented me going out as much as normaly liked this year.

My next car will be electric but im looking 3-4 years away yet.

I do regular long distance journeys, I don't feel comfortable relying on 2 charging points at the services and hoping the are working. In my experiences when I have looked at these charging points on the motorway they are either not working or you got a petrol car parked in the spaces for the charges.

Mind you if I was in the market for electric car now I would seriously consider the MG 5.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:47 pm I payed around £23k for it on deal I got. I usualy do around 13000-14000 miles a year but this corona virus as prevented me going out as much as normaly liked this year.

I do regular long distance journeys, I don't feel comfortable relying on 2 charging points at the services and hoping the are working. In my experiences when I have looked at these charging points on the motorway they are either not working or you got a petrol car parked in the spaces for the charges.

Mind you if I was in the market for electric car now I would seriously consider the MG 5.
What do you class as a long distance?
200 miles between charges, even at motorway speeds, is relatively easily achievable now.
The MG5 EV gets some rave reviews, so does the Kia Soul.
Unfortunately, both are ugly as sin in my eyes and I wouldn't entertain either. :D
Maybe rich from someone who owned a Nissan leaf, I accept that, but I liked the way the Leaf was undeniably an electric car and couldn't be an ICE version.
I won't have an EV that can have an ICE version, it's just a thing of mine.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:47 pm I payed around £23k for it on deal I got. I usualy do around 13000-14000 miles a year but this corona virus as prevented me going out as much as normaly liked this year.

What do you class as a long distance?
200 miles between charges, even at motorway speeds, is relatively easily achievable now.
The MG5 EV gets some rave reviews, so does the Kia Soul.
Unfortunately, both are ugly as sin in my eyes and I wouldn't entertain either. :D
Maybe rich from someone who owned a Nissan leaf, I accept that, but I liked the way the Leaf was undeniably an electric car and couldn't be an ICE version.
I won't have an EV that can have an ICE version, it's just a thing of mine.
300+ plus miles I class as long distance.

To be fair there is no electric car out there really takes my fancy all kind of ugly. The Volkswagen ID3 don’t really impress me to be honest so I don’t think that be my first electric car. Maybe in the next five years when I’m ready things might change.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:10 pm

To be fair there is no electric car out there really takes my fancy all kind of ugly. The Volkswagen ID3 don’t really impress me to be honest so I don’t think that be my first electric car. Maybe in the next five years when I’m ready things might change.
Not many people drive 300 miles without a break but, fair enough, it won't be long before that's easily achievable for you.
I'm not overly bothered which EV I get back into, as long as I get back into one ASAP.
The GTi, with it's small tank and low MPG, means I'm going into petrol stations far more often than I'd like, especially when there's invariably queues to get into pay now and just reinforces the bloody hassle ICE cars are compared with plugging in at home, or sitting at a rapid charger browsing my phone while it charges.
If money were no object it would be a Polestar, but I'd be happy enough in another Leaf to keep the cost down.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 am
Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Not many people drive 300 miles without a break but, fair enough, it won't be long before that's easily achievable for you.
I'm not overly bothered which EV I get back into, as long as I get back into one ASAP.
The GTi, with it's small tank and low MPG, means I'm going into petrol stations far more often than I'd like, especially when there's invariably queues to get into pay now and just reinforces the bloody hassle ICE cars are compared with plugging in at home, or sitting at a rapid charger browsing my phone while it charges.
If money were no object it would be a Polestar, but I'd be happy enough in another Leaf to keep the cost down.

I can squeeze 470 miles out my polo it is really good on fuel it’s only the 1.0 SEL.

I am warming to electric cars and it’s the future so you got get used to the idea of having one.

The Polestar does look a nice car out of what there is to offer but like you say they are a lot of money.

Like I say as soon the PCP is up on my Polo I’m am consider electric for it’s replacement but that 3 years down the line and electric would of moved on a lot by then.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 pm

I can squeeze 470 miles out my polo it is really good on fuel it’s only the 1.0 SEL.

Yeah, but you're not doing that in one go - so 'ultimate possible range in one big hit' is largely irrelevant (as it is with over 90% of the population).
That was my point.
Not aimed at you, but one of the biggest arguments people in ICE cars say is "I can drive 300 miles, refuel in 5 mins and do another 300 miles"
Who does that? :shock:
It's not the Mille Miglia mate, get a grip. :D
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:34 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah, but you're not doing that in one go - so 'ultimate possible range in one big hit' is largely irrelevant (as it is with over 90% of the population).
That was my point.
Not aimed at you, but one of the biggest arguments people in ICE cars say is "I can drive 300 miles, refuel in 5 mins and do another 300 miles"
Who does that? :shock:
It's not the Mille Miglia mate, get a grip. :D
Lol ok mate everyone to their own. End of conversation.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:46 pm Lol ok mate everyone to their own. End of conversation.
As I said, that wasn't aimed at you.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

phillos wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:03 am I have an early produced GTI (DSG) and while the car is fun to drive the amounts of issues I’ve had with it has had me seriously doubt whether I’d get another VW again.
  • DSGs jerkiness at stop&go traffic.
  • Moo’ing brakes on reverse
  • Sound actor rattles
  • Unknown rattle from rear compartment
  • GPF regens, that VW doesnt even acknowledge exists.
  • Wiper blades made of sandpaper
  • Front suspension klonk sounds
  • ”Air worms” under screen in infotainment
For the DSG jerkiness, just put it in ECO-Mode.
Helps alot!

Other then that I love my Polo GTI, so much car that you get when you compare it too more expensive cars.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I did 400 miles in one go in May- had to pick my partner up from Heathrow. Drove down, picked him up, drove straight back to Manchester. ACC in my Ibiza made it effortless.

But yes, I think something like an ID.3 would cover most people 99.9% of the time.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

green justin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:20 pm For the DSG jerkiness, just put it in ECO-Mode.
Helps alot!

Other then that I love my Polo GTI, so much car that you get when you compare it too more expensive cars.
ECO mode does help with jerkiness on downchanges, I agree.
Much nicer to 'freewheel' to a stop in a high gear like a normal auto does, rather than the amateur looking and jerky downchanges of normal or sport mode.
I'm now switching off the stop/start on every journey though, as I'm sick of the delay in getting going at lights.
Delay while the car re-starts, delay while the car engages 1st - it's just too much dithering!!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Switching off stop/start is part of my usual starting procedure when I get in the car and it was on my previous car too. I only switch it on if I’m in stationary traffic which looks as if it’ll be stationary for some time or if I approach a set of traffic lights that are turning - or have just turned - red.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:42 pm Switching off stop/start is part of my usual starting procedure when I get in the car and it was on my previous car too. I only switch it on if I’m in stationary traffic which looks as if it’ll be stationary for some time or if I approach a set of traffic lights that are turning - or have just turned - red.

Although I have a manual I also do this as a routine when I get in the car. The number of times I have been caught with engine cutting out as I change gears at junctions something that never ever happened with stop start on my previous higher powered Seat, must be a thing with the 3 pot engine on the Polo or maybe have to change my driving style with this car.