Oh god, snow and DSG.....

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Oh god, snow and DSG.....

Post by Andy Beats »

OK, I'm on normal tyres and snow tyres would make a big difference - let's get that out of the way.
But DSG in snow, I'd forgotten what a pain it is (we've had no meaningful snow here since 2010).
Just that lurch you get as it changes down at around 12mph.
No matter how gently you brake on snow, that added lurch makes the wheels lock and the ABS kick in.
Aaaargh...

Don't Snow Gearbox.
Definite Skid Gearbox.

:D
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Re: Oh god, snow and DSG.....

Post by Rosinfield »

Never had any such problems with 4 dsg's and without winter tyres. Just by being gentle on power and brakes
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

Stick it in manual and use the paddles.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

sc-red wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:42 pm Stick it in manual and use the paddles.
Indeed.

I wonder why the OP didn’t mention experiencing both full auto vs. manual control.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Having Tombstone tyres won't be helping things. They're so hard, it's like driving on Summer tyres at -5C, when it's Summer. Using them in the Winter is much worse, like driving on wet glass. The wife's GTI+ on PS4 is still very grippy.

Using full manual mode does take some getting used to when DSG has made you lazy, and I'd naturally want to pull to ho up tge gears and push to go down (with the stick), but it's set up the opposite way.

Its also another reason for Andy to hate a car he's bought twice instead of the EV he really wants but won't pay the extra for.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:05 am Having Tombstone tyres won't be helping things. They're so hard, it's like driving on Summer tyres at -5C, when it's Summer. Using them in the Winter is much worse, like driving on wet glass. The wife's GTI+ on PS4 is still very grippy.

Using full manual mode does take some getting used to when DSG has made you lazy, and I'd naturally want to pull to ho up tge gears and push to go down (with the stick), but it's set up the opposite way.

Its also another reason for Andy to hate a car he's bought twice instead of the EV he really wants but won't pay the extra for.
Disagree with the Bridgestones, as I said in another tyre thread here I find the cold grip excellent.
They've clearly done something with the compound since the ones you tried.
I've no need or desire to spend extra to get rid of them now, they're perfectly fine.

PS - EV's are no better in snow - no form of auto gives you the control of a manual in slippy conditions
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Rosinfield wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:25 am Never had any such problems with 4 dsg's and without winter tyres. Just by being gentle on power and brakes
If I was largely driving on the flat, it wouldn't be an issue.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

Just a minor detail not mentioned before ;)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Rosinfield wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:05 am Just a minor detail not mentioned before ;)
Same goes for you.
Your "I have no problems driving in snow" wasn't followed with "but I do live in Holland" :wink:
It's a UK forum, I guess it's assumed most of us experience hills in our driving.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

Fair enough
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Have to say my drive is on a hill to an ungritted road, and I’ve been out and about this morning. Eco mode and taking it slow and had no problems even on the icy car parks I nearly fell over on. My neighbour with his rwd struggled to get anywhere at all.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:38 pm Have to say my drive is on a hill to an ungritted road, and I’ve been out and about this morning. Eco mode and taking it slow and had no problems even on the icy car parks I nearly fell over on. My neighbour with his rwd struggled to get anywhere at all.
Both on summer tyres, FWD will always hold an advantage over RWD (but RWD is infinitely more fun).
Put winter tyres on both cars though and the difference becomes negligible.
I've had 2 x 320D BMWs that went from hopeless to hilariously capable in snow, just by putting Pirelli Sottozero winters on.
Honestly, only the sheer depth of snow against the front spoiler held them back.
One guy on the BMW Alpina forum even went as far as saying his 320D estate on winters was more capable in snow than his Discovery on the standard tyres.
I just cannot be bothered putting winters on this Polo (wife's Evoque and daughter's Mii are both on all-season tyres).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

After struggling to get up our street for the past couple of days, some Goodyear Vector all-season tyres are going on the front.
They'll stay on as long as I have the car, I'll throw the Bridgestones back on when it comes to putting it back.
This isn't criticism of the Bridgestones at all, any summer tyre would be struggling.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 am OK, I'm on normal tyres and snow tyres would make a big difference - let's get that out of the way.
But DSG in snow, I'd forgotten what a pain it is (we've had no meaningful snow here since 2010).
Just that lurch you get as it changes down at around 12mph.
No matter how gently you brake on snow, that added lurch makes the wheels lock and the ABS kick in.
Aaaargh...

Don't Snow Gearbox.
Definite Skid Gearbox.

:D
I run two cars on snow with DSG and have no such problems.
What I would recommend in the snow is to stick the driving mode to ECO and chuck the gearbox into the E mode instead od D mode. The changes are smoother and lower in the rev range - no hassles in the snow.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

fazzy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm I run two cars on snow with DSG and have no such problems.
What I would recommend in the snow is to stick the driving mode to ECO and chuck the gearbox into the E mode instead od D mode. The changes are smoother and lower in the rev range - no hassles in the snow.
Or just fit the right tyres.
The antipathy towards winter (or all season) tyres in the UK is weird.
It's like soldiering on with useless summer tyres is somehow admirable.