SEL 1.0 TSI 95PS or 110PS?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Re: SEL 1.0 TSI 95PS or 110PS?

Post by stevereeves »

At the risk of domiating this thread, even in non-pandemic times I can go 3 days and not see my car as I cycle the 1.6miles to work, "it's out of sight, out of mind, away from prying eyes and sticky fingers", car is also 'protected' from careless delivery drivers at work. Few neighbours bother with a garage, as I said no real need, most leave think me mad for wasting money and leave their cars outside pretty much untcouched by lowlifes though bird strikes and tree sap can still be an issue but 'old habits...'. A bigger garage with light and power (luxury) would be most useful for getting stuff done, but, yeah too small for personally to consider a DSG, but back on thread; hope things work out for the OP....
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 am At the risk of domiating this thread, even in non-pandemic times I can go 3 days and not see my car as I cycle the 1.6miles to work, "it's out of sight, out of mind, away from prying eyes and sticky fingers",
I've not done a comparison to check, but I've read some insurance companies will charge you more if you say your car is garaged.
I believe their thinking is that "out of sight" is actually a bad thing and a car thief can go about their business undisturbed by passers by.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Or, given the girth of modern cars vs the same old garage width, you're more likely to damage your car getting it in and out of the garage than someone is likely to pinch it it or vandalise it beyond the size of your excess to make it worth claiming on your insurance.

If its parked on the road rather than the drive, you're less likely to be burgled for the keys because the would-be thief xan't be 100% sure that the car parked on the road adjacent to your house is actually yours.

In a decent low crime neighbourhood, the difference between parking in a garage, on a drive or on the road is pennies on your premium.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

In my last 'less than great area' many cars were regularly vandalised; fuel pipes cut, windows broken (got my window replacement time down to 15 mins, man at breaker's was well impressed), lights smashed, number plates broke in half, mirrors kicked off and stamped on, one time someone broke in just to snap my driving glasses in half - no I hadn't upset anyone. Turned out it was lowlifes from a high-class public school, believe it or not, doing it 'just because', and if they get caught next-to-nothing so happens, cops weren't even remotely interested 'so why not', so in one sense it's difficult to argue. After first year of garage renting I was financially ahead, without the stress & hassle of car damage and storing cans of petrol and lengths of fuel pipe. Location of current garage is overlooked by flats, in a compound behind locked 6ft wrought iron gates and one needs to pass 2 CCTV to gain entry and isn't obviously adjacent to current address, so pretty secure - and I get a whopping £20 discount on my annual insurance, so hey (!). Biggest danger is probably buses, delivery vans, dustcarts & local builders trucks smacking into cars and just driving off, which they do from time to time. It's what works for some I just prefer the car to be locked away, like I said, old habits....
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm In my last 'less than great area' many cars were regularly vandalised; fuel pipes cut, windows broken (got my window replacement time down to 15 mins, man at breaker's was well impressed), lights smashed, number plates broke in half, mirrors kicked off and stamped on, one time someone broke in just to snap my driving glasses in half - no I hadn't upset anyone. Turned out it was lowlifes from a high-class public school, believe it or not, doing it 'just because', and if they get caught next-to-nothing so happens, cops weren't even remotely interested 'so why not', so in one sense it's difficult to argue. After first year of garage renting I was financially ahead, without the stress & hassle of car damage and storing cans of petrol and lengths of fuel pipe. Location of current garage is overlooked by flats, in a compound behind locked 6ft wrought iron gates and one needs to pass 2 CCTV to gain entry and isn't obviously adjacent to current address, so pretty secure - and I get a whopping £20 discount on my annual insurance, so hey (!). Biggest danger is probably buses, delivery vans, dustcarts & local builders trucks smacking into cars and just driving off, which they do from time to time. It's what works for some I just prefer the car to be locked away, like I said, old habits....
Different world, I'm lucky enough to live in one of the lowest insurance postcodes in the UK.
Hence the wife and I both paying under £200 per year for fully comp on a Gti and an Evoque.
One year, with cashback, I got her fully comp for under £100 :shock:
Downside is no bus service and a fortune in taxis to go anywhere, so it's not all roses.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

To complete the sickening 'posh kid vandal squad' tales, I was told by the cops that even when alighting from the bus back home in 'poshland' a few times a row of 'posh' cars got vandalised; every other one had either a wing mirror kicked off or a door panel kicked in, of course no-one ever saw anything, seems they did it 'just because'....
ledwardz
New
Drives: none yet

Post by ledwardz »

To complete the thread.... Here she is, 110 version. Didnt get the colour I wanted but very happy with what has turned up on my driveway today.

Didn't get a spare wheel tho! Thought they came as standard?

Thanks for help everyone.

Lee.Image
Attachments
20210215_124752.jpg
20210215_124752.jpg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 808 times
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

ledwardz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 pm Didn't get a spare wheel tho! Thought they came as standard?
Oh I wonder if you no longer get a spare wheel then Lee, it's not listed on the spec list now, my year old SEL came with the spare wheel as standard.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

POLO Clive wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:50 pm
ledwardz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 pm Didn't get a spare wheel tho! Thought they came as standard?
Oh I wonder if you no longer get a spare wheel then Lee, it's not listed on the spec list now, my year old SEL came with the spare wheel as standard.
My 5.5 month old GTI+ also came with a space saver spare.

Looking at the latest price list and spec brochure, it looks as if a steel space saver is now a £100 extra cost option. I wonder if VW reduced the list price to reflect deletion of the standard spare wheel? (I’d hazard a guess that they didn’t!).

VW used to make the claim that unlike many other manufacturers, they still provided a spare wheel as standard with (the majority of) their cars. Looks as if they can’t make that claim now; I’ve had a quick look at the price list and spec brochure for the up!, Golf, T-Cross, T Roc and Passat and it’s no longer part of the standard spec. Not checked brochures for other models, but I dare say it’s no longer standard on any VW model.

Surprisingly, for the Polo ‘United’ model, the brochure indicates a spare isn’t available; it is for all other Polo models though.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:15 pm Surprisingly, for the Polo ‘United’ model, the brochure indicates a spare isn’t available
Used up all the substitutes. :D

(BTW no clue if my car has a spare or tin of foam, not looked).
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

I suspect they have dropped the spare wheel to save weight and fit underneath some kind of emissions limit, often the reason. Took mine out today just to check it and pressure, weighs a lot :shock:
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

ledwardz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 pm To complete the thread.... Here she is, 110 version. Didnt get the colour I wanted but very happy with what has turned up on my driveway today.

Didn't get a spare wheel tho! Thought they came as standard?

Thanks for help everyone.

Lee.Image
Nice looking, seems you have the 16 inch las minas wheels? Suits the car.