Audi Rotor Wheels Modification

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DKeil97
New
Drives: AW Polo GTI+ 2019

Audi Rotor Wheels Modification

Post by DKeil97 »

Hi everyone,

First post on the forum so please be nice as this may seem like a stupid question.

I want to get a set of Audi rotor wheels for my Polo GTI AW but I’m not sure how to figure out if they’ll fit my car? What details do I need to know? I imagine wheel bolt pattern but not sure how I figure that out.. can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Audi Rotor Wheels Modification

Post by monkeyhanger »

Without considering offset, only Audi A1 wheels will fit as they share the wheel bolt patternr of 100mm from centre. A3 and larger have bolt holes 112mm from centre like Golf, Passat etc do from the VW range. I put VW wheels on the wife's A1 for winter wheels once.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

You could buy adaptors to make the pcd fit and then you can compare the sizes with the website https://www.willtheyfit.com/
DKeil97
New

Post by DKeil97 »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:42 pm You could buy adaptors to make the pcd fit and then you can compare the sizes with the website https://www.willtheyfit.com/
That’s a smart idea & website! Thanks I’ll look into that.
DKeil97
New

Post by DKeil97 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:47 pm Without considering offset, only Audi A1 wheels will fit as they share the wheel bolt patternr of 100mm from centre. A3 and larger have bolt holes 112mm from centre like Golf, Passat etc do from the VW range. I put VW wheels on the wife's A1 for winter wheels once.
Right okay I get you. Thanks for that info I’ll bear that in mind when I’m looking to get a set! Cheers
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@DKeil97 - welcome to the forum.

If you do find a set of A1 Rotor alloys from the previous generation A1, ensure that the load limit of those wheels is sufficient to support the weight of the current generation Polo.

I had a set of VW Motorsport alloys on my previous generation Polo GTI that I was going to fit on my current car (Polo GTI+). However, the max axle load limit of the Motorsport alloys was 960kg and the front axle weight of the current GTI+ is 980kg, so fitting them would meant the axle weight of the car would have exceeded the max weight that those wheels were designed to support. That would have been potentially dangerous and would very likely have resulted in my insurance being invalidated.

You might also have the same issue with a set of Audi alloys from the previous generation A1 (essentially the same car as the previous generation Polo under the skin) i.e. the load limit of the wheels might be less than the current Polo GTI+’s axle weight.

If you do consider fitting PCD adaptors, it would be worth checking with your insurance company first to ensure they’d be willing to continue covering you and your car. PCD adaptors are similar to wheel spacers, and based on some discussions that I’ve read on other VAG forums, some insurers don’t like wheel spacers.
DKeil97
New

Post by DKeil97 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:12 pm @DKeil97 - welcome to the forum.

If you do find a set of A1 Rotor alloys from the previous generation A1, ensure that the load limit of those wheels is sufficient to support the weight of the current generation Polo.

I had a set of VW Motorsport alloys on my previous generation Polo GTI that I was going to fit on my current car (Polo GTI+). However, the max axle load limit of the Motorsport alloys was 960kg and the front axle weight of the current GTI+ is 980kg, so fitting them would meant the axle weight of the car would have exceeded the max weight that those wheels were designed to support. That would have been potentially dangerous and would very likely have resulted in my insurance being invalidated.

You might also have the same issue with a set of Audi alloys from the previous generation A1 (essentially the same car as the previous generation Polo under the skin) i.e. the load limit of the wheels might be less than the current Polo GTI+’s axle weight.

If you do consider fitting PCD adaptors, it would be worth checking with your insurance company first to ensure they’d be willing to continue covering you and your car. PCD adaptors are similar to wheel spacers, and based on some discussions that I’ve read on other VAG forums, some insurers don’t like wheel spacers.
Cheers for the welcome!

Right I see okay more to consider then.. Would definitely be checking with insurance before doing anything anyway as don’t have the best luck in the world so would no doubt be caught out in some way or another.

Thanks for the information!
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Sounds like an interesting modification, would be good to see some pictures of the wheels you have in mind. Might need to swap over the VW centre caps as well I assume they are a straight swap so you don't end up with Audi badge on the car?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The audi centre caps were bigger when I was using Polo winter wheels on the wife's old A1. I ended up wrapping the VW centre caps in a metallic grey colour that matched the wheel before the wheels went on the A1.