Water ingress/condensation problems

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Water ingress/condensation problems

Post by Andy Beats »

Op97 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:28 pm My polo interior has now been stripped and water tested to see where the leak is coming from, they have found that one of the rubber grommets is allowing water to pass through. They have dried out the interior and said the insulation is perfectly fine.
I have just received a phone call from them and now since installing all interior back together they have created another fault with the vehicle. They have stated that my dsg selector doesn't work anymore and now have to investigate this issue.
I have now had 5 warranty issues since owning car and the car is currently 4 moths old.
Get it rejected.
As clear cut a case for rejection as I've seen, if it was a penalty it would be a stonewaller.
Reject it, get something else, move on with your life.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:35 pm
Op97 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:28 pm My polo interior has now been stripped and water tested to see where the leak is coming from, they have found that one of the rubber grommets is allowing water to pass through. They have dried out the interior and said the insulation is perfectly fine.
I have just received a phone call from them and now since installing all interior back together they have created another fault with the vehicle. They have stated that my dsg selector doesn't work anymore and now have to investigate this issue.
I have now had 5 warranty issues since owning car and the car is currently 4 moths old.
Get it rejected.
As clear cut a case for rejection as I've seen, if it was a penalty it would be a stonewaller.
Reject it, get something else, move on with your life.
@Op97; what were your other warranty issues? If they were more than just niggling issues, then I think I’d be considering the rejection route. It does seem as it you might have what’s known as a ‘Monday morning car’ or a lemon. I suspect the issue with the DSG selector is the result of the dealership damaging the selector mechanism when they removed the interior from your car to trace the source of the water leak, rather than a fault with the mechanism itself. Whatever the cause, the dealer needs to put it right.

Please continue to keep the forum updated. Whatever the outcome, I hope everything’s resolved to your satisfaction a.s.a.p.
Op97
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Op97 »

Hi, I haven't posted on here for a while due to the fact I've been waiting for answers and parts from vw. So vw agreed to change my carpets and underlay under warranty due to the water ingress damage, I had to wait and month and a half for parts to be delivered. The car has only done 2800 miles and just turned 7 months old
I noticed another water ingress issue on the front passenger side of the vehicle whilst waiting for the parts to be delivered and a fitting date. I informed vw of the new water ingress issue when my car was going for fitting, they were going to investigate the issue. The water leak was coming from the behind the dash and leaking in the the dense insulating foam which is tacked all the way behind the dash and it was wet up to half way. VW had my car for just over a month whilst sorting all of this out. So they did a water test on the vehicle to find a leak below the windscreen which was sealed, then another water test was carried out but the water ingress issue was still present. After more investigation they found another leak coming from the nearside wing area, they sealed that area up but still no luck and had to do more investigating. They carried a deeper investigation into where the leak was coming from and found out that the nearside wing box section was missing the sealant from the factory allowing water into the vehicle, so they apparently sealed this up to vw standards which is questionable? Also this seam which the sealant was missing from runs from the bottom of the wheel arch all the to the top near the windscreen. This has made me think what else have they missed off in the manufacturing process and how is the vehicle structurally sound. Also they dried out the foam with heaters and told me to replaced the foam it meant taking the whole dash out of the vehicle. I have finally received my car back from vw today and hopefully everything will be OK with it. Whilst my car was with vw I had a courtesy car which they sold, which meant going back to pick a new one up.
I have contacted vwfs for rejection of the vehicle because I don't think a vehicle should have this many water ingress issues and bits missing from the manufacture processes. They have told me it will take up to 8 weeks for someone to assigned to my case, if anyone has anymore info about rejection it would help please. Also I wanted to make people aware of the issues I've had with the vehicle and the missing sealant on the nearside wing, incase anyone encounters anything similar with this model.
I have attached photos of the sealant done to vw standards apparently
Attachments
20210508_180722.jpg
20210508_180722.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 830 times
20210508_181136.jpg
20210508_181136.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 830 times
20210508_181019.jpg
20210508_181019.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 830 times
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I've honestly never had a car like this that seems to be surrounded by problems concerning damp.
An absolute bugger for misting up the interior, headlamps misting up, now I've noticed bloody green mould down the outside window seals!
Just where the window disappears down into the doors.....green mould.... :?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:05 pm Now I've noticed bloody green mould down the outside window seals!
Just where the window disappears down into the doors.....green mould.... :?
It's algae and it affects most cars as they age, especially those kept out of direct sunlight, on the fluffy/felt-like inner edges of the window seals.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:21 pm It's algae and it affects most cars as they age, especially those kept out of direct sunlight, on the fluffy/felt-like inner edges of the window seals.
Literally never had it on any car before, even my Beats.