Brake upgrade

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MittyAhmed101
New
Drives: Polo Beats

Brake upgrade

Post by MittyAhmed101 »

I have a 1.0 tsi 95ps 2019 aw, i wanted to upgrade the brakes to bigger ones as I've put 18inch rims and the brakes look tiny and braking performance isn't the best so i thought I'd go for gti front brakes and later do a rear disc brake conversion by changing out the rear beam. I have bought the gti mk6 front brake calipers with pads and discs, but I'm not sure if they'll fit. Could anyone give advice on this please, thanks in advance.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by Andy Beats »

In what way do you find braking performance poor?
I was regularly braking from very illegal speeds down to zero twice on my home, every night, and no brake issues at all.
No fade, nothing.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

If you're going to upgrade brakes i'd look into the front and rear wheel hub assemblies and possibly uprights, if the hub assembly doesn't fit your current uprights. Also look at rear subframes, brake carriers, brake lines, abs modules, and most likely coding for the brakes so they work affectively. All in all because of how modern cars are now this is going to be relatively expensive for all 4 corners. The front 2 discs won't be too bad but taking rear drums to discs will be a large job and may end up being better off swapping the car for a higher trim level if possible.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

It would have been easier to buy a GTI in the first place, all the cost and complication involved. Will end up like Trigger's broom.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

https://youtu.be/56yN2zHtofM

Just in case some people don't know what is meant by Triggers broom :mrgreen: :oops:
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

If you upgrade your brakes to a bigger size then standard don’t forget to tell your insurance company as you might find out you not insured some companies don’t like mods and will cancel your insurance
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

Simonz wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:35 pm It would have been easier to buy a GTI in the first place, all the cost and complication involved. Will end up like Trigger's broom.
'May as well of bought a golf if you're going to upgrade that.'

'May as well of got an R rather than a GTI if you're going to upgrade that'

Not helpful really is it....