This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Post by vc-10 »

I went for a test drive in an ID.3 today. Really enjoyed it. It's definitely no sports car- you can tell the handling has been set up for more relaxed driving. But the instant torque just put a big smile on my place. Very comfortable and quiet on the motorway, and huge inside.

Got a decent quote for one too, they matched the drivethedeal.co.uk price straight away. I am very, very, tempted.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

vc-10 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:27 pm I went for a test drive in an ID.3 today. Really enjoyed it. It's definitely no sports car- you can tell the handling has been set up for more relaxed driving. But the instant torque just put a big smile on my place. Very comfortable and quiet on the motorway, and huge inside.

Got a decent quote for one too, they matched the drivethedeal.co.uk price straight away. I am very, very, tempted.
Which one would you be going for? There's unallocated built stock about for your dealer to grab. I nabbed my Life Pro Performance 204ps with East Derry Alloys and Glacier White metallic paint for £27416 (around £450 less than the DTD price then. I checked out how much the April 1st price rise would've cost me - the car to my spec is now about £1050 dearer!

Still don't have mine- it's been stuck in Emden since 9th March, but wasn't allocated to me until 29th March.

VW confirmed it would be delivered before the end of April when I ordered. Since then I have seen 6 people on EV forums get their freshly built cars make it through to the UK 2 weeks after build week, so VW seemingly would rather leave cars already late be even later rather than make new cars late while they clear the backlog.

Same old s**t VW UK customer service.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Looks like I spoke too soon! I have just had my 5C SMS text - my car has boarded a ship for the UK. Realistically, I could have it by the end of next week if it doesn't linger at the UK Dock (not sure if it's going to Sheerness or Grimsby, considering Evesham is very south midlands (it's closer to Sheerness).
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

Exactly the same spec- but I like the Makena Blue! I'm also debating being cheap and not going for the alloys... but I think I'll end up getting them. I'm 100% not set on doing it right now, I'm just very, very, tempted.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm still a bit 'meh' about the ID3, although if the dealer offered me a good deal to get out of the Gti and into one now I'd take it in a shot.
I'm more drawn to the Hyundai Ioniq 5, watched a video of that guy from Red Dwarf driving one last night.
Very, very nice and shows you how fast things are moving in EV world.
It's pre-production only, so may be good timing to get me out of the Gti with less of a financial hit.
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

The Ioniq 5 looks awesome. However it's a big car- deceptively so. Jonny Smith posted a pic of one up against a Kona- it may look like it's a Golf sized car, but it's really a lot larger. It competes with the ID.4, not the 3. And as someone without children or pets, I don't exactly need or want a huge car!

Maybe an ID.3 now, and an 'Ioniq 4' in a few years? :lol:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 am I'm still a bit 'meh' about the ID3, although if the dealer offered me a good deal to get out of the Gti and into one now I'd take it in a shot.
I'm more drawn to the Hyundai Ioniq 5, watched a video of that guy from Red Dwarf driving one last night.
Very, very nice and shows you how fast things are moving in EV world.
It's pre-production only, so may be good timing to get me out of the Gti with less of a financial hit.

Every EV under £45k is looking a bit meh to me, including the ID3..

They're almost all SUVs, which puts them out of contention for me straight away. For those that aren't, you've got the I3 with tiny range, odd rear doors and a rear profile of a badly put together shed, that Ioniq 5 is huge - a range rover sized car masquerading under hatchback proportions (too big for the missus), the likes of the current ioniq with impractical boot for the dog, tgeE-up and Zie are too small...

The only 2 cars that tick my boxes of Golf sized hatchback with roony interior and practical boot for the dog are the ID3 and the Nissan Leaf. Not keen on the leaf.

For my £27400ish after discounts and incentives (20% discount Inc grant), for essentially a Golf GTD equivalent EV, it's decent value for money too.

If you don't want an SUV, the pool of EVs is pretty small.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Didn't look so big when Robert the robot guy was driving it, that Jonny guy seems tiny.
I really don't need that big a car, daughter one has her own car now and no dogs to bother with.
Truth be told a Zoe size car would do me fine, but the Zoe is too slow.
My ultimate would be an i3S, no other car has given me such joy to drive in many years, but they're just too expensive on PCP/Lease.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

vc-10 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:30 am Exactly the same spec- but I like the Makena Blue! I'm also debating being cheap and not going for the alloys... but I think I'll end up getting them. I'm 100% not set on doing it right now, I'm just very, very, tempted.
I asked the dealer to find me a built Glacier White or Makena Turquoise with Derry wheels and they found a white one. Would've been happy with either.

You could get the steelies for Winter and buy some aftermarket Alloys for the Summer. The cost of 19" and 20" alloys at £1300 and £1900 respectively are ridiculous.

Not a huge fan of any of the alloys TBH, they've all got a closed design for (presumed) aerodynamics and a lack of need for serious brake cooling as regen is doing half of your braking.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:02 am Didn't look so big when Robert the robot guy was driving it, that Jonny guy seems tiny.
I really don't need that big a car, daughter one has her own car now and no dogs to bother with.
Truth be told a Zoe size car would do me fine, but the Zoe is too slow.
My ultimate would be an i3S, no other car has given me such joy to drive in many years, but they're just too expensive on PCP/Lease.
It's almost 2 feet longer than an ID3, you scale that out everywhere else and keep in mind the bonnet's pretty short - you do have a near range rover sized car. It'll be over £40k too. That grant eligibility (or not) is a huge separator. My local dealer has a few cars to get rid of that no longer qualify. So you have the ID3 life models nudging £35k with alloys and metallic paint, and the trims above that were £2/3/4k dearer are now £5/6/7k dearer effectively. You look at the business model and see a car that was hard pushed to be worth £2k more (a few extra gizmos and nicer seats) than Life spec now costing £5k more. They'll need some serious discounting to move.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Hmmm, have to keep an eye on what's coming
I like the ittle Honda EV, but the range on that isn't any better than my Leaf 24 was.
I'd like to be be able to make Aberdeen-Glasgow (140 miles) at motorway speeds in my next one, which a 62KWH LEaf would do comfortably (and is reasonably fast - equivalent 210 bhp).
The Kona is out as it has an ICE model too and I refuse to have an EV that also has an ICE model.
Must be indisputably an EV. :D
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

I'd definitely be going for the 18s- I like all the designs but the 19s and 20s are just ridiculous price wise. I kind of feel like they should all have come with alloys anyway... but there we go.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 pm I kind of feel like they should all have come with alloys anyway... but there we go.
Agreed, I was shocked when i found out some models are steel wheels and trims.
Weird retrograde spec for a futuristic car.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:59 pm
vc-10 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 pm I kind of feel like they should all have come with alloys anyway... but there we go.
Deliberate tactic on VW’s part. They know that most buyers will probably spec the extra cost alloys, so extra money for them.

It’s similar to VW offering an unpopular free paint colour on some models, as VW know most buyers will pay for a more popular colour. Black Rubin was the free colour on the mk7.5 Golf and was a solid brown-ish maroon. That colour was universally disliked over on golfgtiforum.co.uk and I dare say wasn’t a popular choice with prospective buyers. Black Rubin had a very short life and was dropped by VW a few months later.

Black Rubin Golf
C3FD8E6A-9172-4861-8F93-AA7390EEC7FF.jpeg
C3FD8E6A-9172-4861-8F93-AA7390EEC7FF.jpeg (181.58 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:51 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:59 pm
Deliberate tactic on VW’s part. They know that most buyers will probably spec the extra cost alloys, so extra money for them.

It’s similar to VW offering an unpopular free paint colour on some models, as VW know most buyers will pay for a more popular colour. Black Rubin was the free colour on the mk7.5 Golf and was a solid brown-ish maroon. That colour was universally disliked over on golfgtiforum.co.uk and I dare say wasn’t a popular choice with prospective buyers. Black Rubin had a very short life and was dropped by VW a few months later.

Black Rubin Golf
C3FD8E6A-9172-4861-8F93-AA7390EEC7FF.jpeg
You'd be surprised how many people buying ID3s are sticking with the steel wheels. I was tempted, not because I am extremely tight, but because I wasn't seriously enamoured by any of the alloy wheel choices. Those almost closed wheel designs barely look better than the wheel trims for the steelies, but as the wheel trims are easily stolen or lost and are £53 a pop (each, not a set!), and aftermarket is an insurance ball-ache, I went with the East Derry Alloys.

Paint costs are a racket that I'm amazed the EU hasn't stamped out. Metallic paint is a no cost option on VWs in Spain and the US. The most obvious example of this is on the current Polo whereby flash red was a cost option on the normal Polo's and free on the GTI. That red on tgd GTI was no way a subsidised colour on the GTI because there was still a £600ish gap between it and the metallic options.