Polo AW Facelift Teased

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
New
Drives: Polo Mk. 10 95PS

Polo AW Facelift Teased

Post by 6666 »

Here we are lads, VW just put out the first teaser for the new front end. I'm a big fan of those lights but I don't know about them going through the grill. That purple looks sick though.

POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Polo AW Facelift Teased

Post by POLO Clive »

I don't think it'll look as good as that :?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I tend to agree wrt the colour, very unusual for VW but afaik the new DRL's are the real deal. I'm not to keen on the interior possibly following Golf 8 trend.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I think it’s a forgone conclusion that there’ll be elements of the mk8 Golf’s interior in the facelift Polo’s interior. The facelift Seat Ibiza has got the stuck on iPad style infotainment screen, which follows the approach taken by VAG with the Seat Leon mk8 Golf, Audi A3 and Skoda Octavia, so I think the Polo is in line to get this too. The Ibiza has retained conventional heating and ventilation controls and a rotary lighting control knob, so maybe the facelift Polo will too.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/04/seat- ... nt-system/

Hopefully the upgraded technology referred to in the article below (posted by OomStu_ZA in a separate thread) won’t mean the facelift Polo will be plagued with the software glitches and gremlins that the mk8 Golf and its Seat, Audi and Skoda siblings have been (and still are) affected by.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/up ... sed/51056/
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’ll be interested to see if they bring the gti back to the UK with the facelift.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Seen quite a few MK8 Golfs around now (no GTI/R). It still hasn't grown on me.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the Polo.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

S_94 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 am Seen quite a few MK8 Golfs around now (no GTI/R). It still hasn't grown on me.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the Polo.
That’s interesting as I’ve seen more of the new gti than the standard golf. It’s grown on me slowly, just not sure of the no buttons approach. Don’t care if it’s old fashioned, buttons for climate control are much easier when driving than a slider. Plus I don’t just leave my climate set to auto.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve yet to see a mk8 GTI, GTI Clubsport or R in the flesh. I have seen a few non performance mk8’s around though and I think familiarity makes it look OK, but that’s probably more a case of getting used to its looks rather than liking the way it looks.

@lancslad1985; I’m with you on ease of use with conventional controls. IMHO removing all buttons, switches and knobs is a case of form over function - and cost cutting! Reading of mk8 owners’ experiences on other forums, most have adapted well to the ‘no buttons’ set up, and there are short cuts to access some of the menus and sub menus on the infotainment screen. However, my preference is still to have conventional controls, although I think it’s only a matter of time before touch screens is the norm in pretty much all cars.

One thing that did surprise me with the mk8 Golf is the non-illuminated slider panel below the infotainment screen for heating and volume controls. The last car I owned with non-illuminated heater controls was back in the early 1980’s! 😯
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 pm However, my preference is still to have conventional controls, although I think it’s only a matter of time before touch screens is the norm in pretty much all cars.
I don't get this
You're still making a 'pressing motion', so what difference does it make if it's pressing a screen or a button? :?:
I could understand objections to 'gesture' systems, I had a weekend in an X3 recently that proved they're needless and don't work very well.
But pressing is pressing....
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:43 pm
SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 pm However, my preference is still to have conventional controls, although I think it’s only a matter of time before touch screens is the norm in pretty much all cars.
I don't get this
You're still making a 'pressing motion', so what difference does it make if it's pressing a screen or a button? :?:
I could understand objections to 'gesture' systems, I had a weekend in an X3 recently that proved they're needless and don't work very well.
If there's no separation between buttons, if you press blindly while keeping an eye on the road, you may not be sure that you pressed the right area of that screen as opposed to a click able button.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:43 pm
I don't get this
If there's no separation between buttons, if you press blindly while keeping an eye on the road, you may not be sure that you pressed the right area of that screen as opposed to a click able button.
Or you have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Not to mention if it’s dark in winter it’s going to be fun trying to press it.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Found a few potential leaked shots on what to expect. Looking at the first picture it seems consistent to what 6666 posted.

If accurate, I don't mind the front. Not a fan of the back though.
Attachments
3F06CEF0-4AEC-4DC8-93F9-8BF289C2BE69.jpeg
3F06CEF0-4AEC-4DC8-93F9-8BF289C2BE69.jpeg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
DB7F525A-AA4F-4569-87C7-45993056452D.jpeg
DB7F525A-AA4F-4569-87C7-45993056452D.jpeg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
D08A46BB-A15B-4F20-9C0E-620FE51C5DC0.jpeg
D08A46BB-A15B-4F20-9C0E-620FE51C5DC0.jpeg (163.36 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ If true, not many changes there. MK8 style rear clusters, it looks like there might be softer plastics on the door card tops and the clown face steering wheel.

The blue Polo appears to be an R - that'd be interesting if it was significantly cheaper than the Golf R.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:42 pm Found a few potential leaked shots on what to expect. Looking at the first picture it seems consistent to what 6666 posted.

If accurate, I don't mind the front. Not a fan of the back though.
Those renderings looks realistic when you look at the disguised spy shots in the article at the link below - you can see the new style tail lights - which follow the design of the mk8 Golf tail lights - under the taped up sections of the tailgate.

https://www.motor1.com/news/465645/2022 ... py-photos/

I hope the interior shot is an accurate representation. I’m not keen on the current trend towards the stuck-on iPad style infotainment screen; mid life facelifts are usually a relatively low cost refresh to maintain customer interest and sales in a maturing car model, so it might be too expensive for VW to redesign a new dashboard to accommodate an iPad style screen to take the current AW Polo to the end of it’s lifecycle - although Seat have done it with the Ibiza facelift.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The ipad approach avoidance might be a deliberate move to maintain differentiation between the equivalent product across the 4 VAG marques. That differentiation is getting more difficult as all marques lose buttons and dials to go down the common route of touch screens and haptic buttons.