GTI Dipstick Removal.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jonesy
New
Drives: 2019 GTI+

GTI Dipstick Removal.

Post by Jonesy »

Very basic question - apologies. Cannot remove the dipstick on my 2019 GTI. Has bright yellow top with two clips that fit over the rim of the filler tube. These are extremely tight and I’m reluctant to prise with anything for fear of breaking them. Tried rotating the top gently to see if there are indentations that allow release. Doesn’t seem to be. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: GTI Dipstick Removal.

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Jonesy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:10 pm Very basic question - apologies. Cannot remove the dipstick on my 2019 GTI. Has bright yellow top with two clips that fit over the rim of the filler tube. These are extremely tight and I’m reluctant to prise with anything for fear of breaking them. Tried rotating the top gently to see if there are indentations that allow release. Doesn’t seem to be. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It does come off, you gotta give it a good pull though.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

They do fit quite tight. The first time I checked the oil level it did need a firm pull to remove it.

I have found that it seems easier to remove now after having checked the oil level a few times.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I'm guessing its a tight fit so that no oil escapes under high pressures... but yes, I was also caught out - good one VW.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

A dipstick!!??
That's what warning lights are for! :D
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:58 pm
Jonesy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:10 pm Very basic question - apologies. Cannot remove the dipstick on my 2019 GTI. Has bright yellow top with two clips that fit over the rim of the filler tube. These are extremely tight and I’m reluctant to prise with anything for fear of breaking them. Tried rotating the top gently to see if there are indentations that allow release. Doesn’t seem to be. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It does come off, you gotta give it a good pull though.
That ^^, or if you're worried the yellow tip could break off, it very likely won't, have dealer to do it, play 'helpless card' just pop in ask; "can someone please show me how to check the oil ?"....
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

I know that feeling, I had someone else remove it for me (a friend) as I didn't want to be the one to break it.. firm pull and it comes out.