Buying a Match 95 auto questions

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Buying a Match 95 auto questions

Post by Andy Beats »

German_Fartbox wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:59 pm Literally everytime I reverse in mine, takes ages to change into first. I guessed that was just the norm.
it just struck me lately that I've thought I'm in gear, or expected to be, and applying throttle has just had the revs rocket and no movement.
That seems to be new.
Unless it gets really bad I can't see me doing anything about it, I'm just biding my time with this car until I can get rid.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 am
German_Fartbox wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:59 pm Literally everytime I reverse in mine, takes ages to change into first. I guessed that was just the norm.
it just struck me lately that I've thought I'm in gear, or expected to be, and applying throttle has just had the revs rocket and no movement.
That seems to be new.
Unless it gets really bad I can't see me doing anything about it, I'm just biding my time with this car until I can get rid.
Why would you live with an issue like that? It's not normal (unless you left it in neutral), get it in for a fix.
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am
Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 am
That seems to be new.
Why would you live with an issue like that? It's not normal (unless you left it in neutral), get it in for a fix.
Personally I'm never in that much of a rush after reversing so I can live with waiting a second or two for it to get into gear :).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am Why would you live with an issue like that? It's not normal (unless you left it in neutral), get it in for a fix.
It's a white-goods tool that takes me 3.5 miles each way every day and is rarely used in between.
I really don't give a crap about it any more and cannot be bothered with a trip to the dealer, unless something breaks.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am Why would you live with an issue like that? It's not normal (unless you left it in neutral), get it in for a fix.
It's a white-goods tool that takes me 3.5 miles each way every day and is rarely used in between.
I really don't give a crap about it any more and cannot be bothered with a trip to the dealer, unless something breaks.
My uncle feels the same about his prev model Polo, diff engine at 1.2 litre 4 clyinder, owned from new, 30,000ish miles but similar DSG issues. Same thing happened on his previous vehicle, VW Touran I foget the engine size but was also a DSG autobox model, he took it in for attention and the technician informed him (off the record) "gearbox is cream-crackered mate, you're just out warranty so looking at £1k+ to fix, I'd trade it in I were you". He did so, and now his Polo is doing similar he'd consider a manual 'box but after years with an auto it apparently "feels you are hand-cranking the car along, like a vintage museum car" :D ....
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

This'll be my last car with a gearbox of any kind.
I really thought I'd cope going from an EV back to an ICE and was quick to stick up for ICE, saying things like "they're not that bad" on EV forums.
I was wrong, it's a real struggle.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

"Struggle" is a matter of opinion. Some people think manual cars are a chore and go for the DSG as a conscious choice. For myself, driving is something I used to derive a lot of pleasure from. I'd much prefer a manual box - to be more in tune with the car, to feel the need to change rather than having the car tell you when to and making the odd dumb decision that annoys the hell out of you when it happens. To be able to drop from 6th to 3rd in one step rather than going 6>5>4>3.

Cars are so automated now, sucking the enjoyment out of driving them, almost nakinv the driver redundant, apart from steering. That's a pretty sad state of affairs IMO.

We've got an EV now to go with the Polo GTI+ .and the wife loves it as a non-enthusiast of driving. It's technically admirable (as is the DSG box), it reacts instantly to the throttle but its not fun to drive and there's a few bits of annoying tech that an NCAP 5*.rating requires, like lane assist that you have to turn off every ignition cycle to stop it wanting to vibrate the steering wheel if the lane markings have deteriorated and it disagrees with your perception of the middle of the lane, or during roadworks, it doesn't recognise the cones narrowing the road. Or the ACC tying in with speed sign recognition and picking up a 50 sign up on a sliproad off the 70 road you're actually on and trying to slow you to 50. These aren't VAG issues, most marques with similar tech has similar foibles.

The ID3 is shaping up to be a great family car in that the kids have loads of legroom (Passat size interior), small enough for the wife to want to drive (Golf sized exterior), sharp handling and steering, considering it weighs 500kg more than a Golf GTI, it's just as quick as a Polo GTI, fells marginally quicker, but it's not a fun car to drive, it's an extremely easy and disengaging car to drive..

Can't ignore the seriously cheap fuelling costs, and right now the Polo GTI+ is becoming a £16k ornament. I literally only need a second car one day a week.

Next year we'll be getting cars that won't speed or can be remotely overridden if you do. The car is becoming a soulless appliance, and for me, that's to be lamented
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:36 am

We've got an EV now to go with the Polo GTI+ .and the wife loves it as a non-enthusiast of driving. It's technically admirable (as is the DSG box), it reacts instantly to the throttle but its not fun to drive
If you'll excuse the pun, I find the total opposite.
I've not driven an ID3, maybe they are dull, but electric cars have given me the most driving enjoyment I've had in years.
Rekindled my driving enjoyment, which is why I'm kicking myself that I've gone back to ICE.
Seeing the sheer looks of disbelief/horror in ICE drivers faces when out-driven by a Nissan Leaf is joyous.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:36 am

We've got an EV now to go with the Polo GTI+ .and the wife loves it as a non-enthusiast of driving. It's technically admirable (as is the DSG box), it reacts instantly to the throttle but its not fun to drive
If you'll excuse the pun, I find the total opposite.
I've not driven an ID3, maybe they are dull, but electric cars have given me the most driving enjoyment I've had in years.
Rekindled my driving enjoyment, which is why I'm kicking myself that I've gone back to ICE.
Seeing the sheer looks of disbelief/horror in ICE drivers faces when out-driven by a Nissan Leaf is joyous.
I just don't get any real enjoyment out of a car that practically drives itself, nor the Corsa 1.2 traffic light grand prix. Do you normally buy slowish cars and the Leaf blew your socks off? Perhaps that's it, I've had a fair few sub 7s ICE cars, so the performance of the ID3 is nothing special to me (apart from the lack of wheelspin/tramping - Golf R was free of this also, being 4WD, but much quicker 0-62). I think I'd have to be in the top tier Tesla M3 to be astounded, but I couldn't commit that much money to a single car, and certainly not that's so high tech yet looks like it was put together by Lada.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:42 am I just don't get any real enjoyment out of a car that practically drives itself, nor the Corsa 1.2 traffic light grand prix. Do you normally buy slowish cars and the Leaf blew your socks off? Perhaps that's it, I've had a fair few sub 7s ICE cars, so the performance of the ID3 is nothing special to me (apart from the lack of wheelspin/tramping - Golf R was free of this also, being 4WD, but much quicker 0-62). I think I'd have to be in the top tier Tesla M3 to be astounded, but I couldn't commit that much money to a single car, and certainly not that's so high tech yet looks like it was put together by Lada.
No, I've had plenty of quick cars, it's just the drama free speed that makes me giggle.
Seamless, quiet, no wheelspin etc.
Makes me want to use full acceleration all the time, every time.
Certainly not something I'd consider in the GTi, not without earplugs. :roll:
The lack of jerking is nice too, it's getting to the stage my wife won't come with me if we take my car - she just hates the jerkiness of the DSG
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:23 pm No, I've had plenty of quick cars, it's just the drama free speed that makes me giggle.
Seamless, quiet, no wheelspin etc.
Makes me want to use full acceleration all the time, every time.
Certainly not something I'd consider in the GTi, not without earplugs. :roll:
The lack of jerking is nice too, it's getting to the stage my wife won't come with me if we take my car - she just hates the jerkiness of the DSG
The noise is half the fun imo. I don't mind an electric car and in the next few years i'm in line for a new company car (with the Tesla Model 3 LR looking like the fav at work) but for now the acceleration and feeling of electric cars seem like more of a gimmick to me and it'll be purely an A2B car for me... for now anyway.

And your wife doesn't like the jerkyness of the gearbox and won't get in the car? My girlfriend don't like potholes but i'll drag her ass into the car if I have to. No way am I rolling around in her KA :lol:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:53 pm And your wife doesn't like the jerkyness of the gearbox and won't get in the car? My girlfriend don't like potholes but i'll drag her ass into the car if I have to. No way am I rolling around in her KA :lol:
She really cannot stand my car, partly for how low it is and partly for how jerky it is.
It's the Evoque or nothing in her book and I can understand that to be fair, there's no comparison in terms of comfort and refinement (although i prefer parking the Polo)
Getting back to EVs, I find myself driving them flat out everywhere just because you can without the sound making you look a dick.
I'm all for driving fast without attracting attention. 8)
Can't wait for sports bikes to become electric for the same reason.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You can't take a hot hatch and expect it to behave like a limousine with low profile tyres , sports suspension etc.

I don't find our DSG box at all jerky, I but I guess it's all relative to what you are used to. Coming from a string of performance Golfs and Sciroccos, the Polo GTI is no less comfortable in everyday use than your typical hot hatch.

I wish the DSG was a little more direct and responsive with it's clutch bite if anything. It's more responsive than the A4 was that feathered the clutches in for comfort at the expense of responsiveness.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:25 pm You can't take a hot hatch and expect it to behave like a limousine with low profile tyres , sports suspension etc.

I don't find our DSG box at all jerky, I but I guess it's all relative to what you are used to. Coming from a string of performance Golfs and Sciroccos, the Polo GTI is no less comfortable in everyday use than your typical hot hatch.

I wish the DSG was a little more direct and responsive with it's clutch bite if anything. It's more responsive than the A4 was that feathered the clutches in for comfort at the expense of responsiveness.
Never said we expected it to behave like a limo, just explaining why she hates it and will choose not go in it where possible.
And if you don't notice the jerkiness of the gearbox, especially that one around 14mph, that's just your brain recalibrating for it.
People not used to the car definitely DO notice it.
Nick85
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI 95 DSG “Match”

Post by Nick85 »

Re the price differences, perhaps some dealers are advertising the price taking into account the various deposit contributions that are currently on offer.

Re the cruise control being standard on the Match, only the very latest models with the “Polo” badge in the centre of the bootlid have the Cruise as standard on the Match. JCT600 (and no doubt other dealers) have stock of both the Cruise and the non-Cruise equipped Match models. Dealers are obviously well aware of the differences, but if a customer doesn’t enquire about the model years or the Cruise, then the sales staff may not draw buyers’ attention to it...