Dealer recommendations Birmingham?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Dealer recommendations Birmingham?

Post by grazuncle2 »

I have recently bought a 2019 Polo SE from a VW approved garage (Listers Stratford upon Avon- not exactly local to me in Birmingham but only specific model with features I wanted tht was available) It has the two year warranty which I presume is best kept intact if serviced by a proper VW garage?

My last Polo was new.. from Ventura Sutton Coldfield.. up till the first MOT everything was fine.. then they failed the MOT for the next 4 years in a row on headlight adjustment (£35 each time) and or tyre tread depth. I took it to a tyre fitters and asked their opinion and whilst they didn't say the the test was rubbish they were more than confused why they would fail a test. In the end I took to to a local 'test only', and the car passed ok. I decided to take it there in future for MOTs and never had the headlights fail a test. It knocked my confidence in that VW dealership.

That garage always offered AC refresh too but with no reason when i asked why as it was working ok? I never had anything done to the AC in 15 years on the 9n3 and it always worked immediately. I have read that the refrigerant is 'thinner' now and top up more likely but hear some garages charge a top up every year.. this is right and necessary?

So I'm back here again... the 12 month Service and first MOT will be in January 2022. I did some research and some local to me garages and all have their 5 star and 1 star reviews. Admittedly some reviews give no reason why they gave 5 stars and some 1 star reviews seem petty or unreasonable.

Any comments appreciated; on garage recommendations or necessary/unnecessary work.

Thanks
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Re: Dealer recommendations Birmingham?

Post by Steve_2019 »

At the moment I’m using VW dealership in Shirley in Solihull why the car is in warranty plus I got a 2 year service plan when I bought the car, but I will start using local independent garage when the warranty is up.

But I have found them ok last year when I went in for my annual service.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Thanks Steve.

I am in the same boat.. I have a really good local man who is honest/reasonable.

I am only going the dealer route to take 'some' of the excuses out of the equation when a problem arises and they blame a non VW mechanic.

Is this the same as Solihull branch? I'd take mine to Shirley .. just wondering if they'd let me wait for it to be done?
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

grazuncle2 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 pm Thanks Steve.

I am in the same boat.. I have a really good local man who is honest/reasonable.

I am only going the dealer route to take 'some' of the excuses out of the equation when a problem arises and they blame a non VW mechanic.

Is this the same as Solihull branch? I'd take mine to Shirley .. just wondering if they'd let me wait for it to be done?
Yes I think so “Johnsons Volkswagen Shirley” on Highlands road. I do think they do let you wait why it’s been serviced but you have lot them know when you book it in for the service. I have only used them once for my annual service and I have had no problems with them upto now.

Like you mentioned I got a local garage that I rather use for more convenience as it only a 5 minute drive and plus it’s more of a face to face with the mechanic then just talking to the receptionist.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Thanks Steve

I think that might be a good option in the future. I'll check with them beforehand. I don't think you will get any garage 100%.. you just look for one with less problems. This have not changed in all the years of dealing with larger garages. So recommendation is the only thing left. Sad but true.